• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gustaffson windshield for S fairing

dufford

I'm thinking about replacing the original windshield on my S fairing with a Gustaffson windshield. I was just wondering if anyone has any comments or preference of models. I'm looking for just a little more air blockage around the body and over the head. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

I purchased that shield last year. Bought the higher one with about a 2 1/2 inch lip. I am very satisfied withg it but since it is higher I think, ain't I fussy, that it does compromise the lines of the bike a little so it goes on for a trip and produces more protection from the rain. Was very glad to have it last year in W>V< and this year at the Square Route Rally. I am six foot tall and do not find any increase in wind buffeting BUT my buddy is 5 ft 10 inches , we brought them together, and he will not use his for the noise and buffeting is more he says. We both wear recent Araix lids. I imagine the standard heigth shield is as good as stock but the material that I have is thicker than my stock shields. Hope this helps.

I forgot to ask, where does the wind hit your body or head with the spoiler on the shield. This is another problem I seem to have. My neck just gets sore on a windy day, going too fast or after spending too much time behind the Semis.

Thanks again,
Dave

Gustafson is in Florida the address is somewhere but the telephone number is here 904-824-3443. The wind hits me at visor level, but I find no other problem than fatigue in crouching lower behind it for a bit of a respite. The stock shield puts the wind at my chest. There was in the past an aftermarket shield which was about 45 degrees from the vertical and higher, you can ask the Florida Swede about that one as he may be able to make one up for you. regards, Russ

I mocked up a cardboard spoiler on the stock shield and the wind hits me just about the bottom of the chinbar on my helmet and I'm just about 5'11". Do they add any height to the regular shape of the shield?

Thanks,
Dave

Shield Custumizing

Thwe shield material is extruded then trimed. I cannot say if he can do a higher "lip" but that doesn't mean that he cannot. Best to give him a call. Russ

Windshield

I had a gustofson on my R100CS and have to say that I do not recommend it, severe windblast in the middle of my head. I eventually added a Saeng airwing on top of the lip and this helped but due to the flimsly construction it moved all over at speed. San Jose BMW sells a very nice tall shield for the S fairing that works very well but it does detract slightly from the classic look.

Flimsy Gustafson

The model of gustafson that I posted information about was NOT a standard height model. In addition to the "lip" the entire unit sits about 3 ins. higher and on top of that is the "lip". Are wee talking different sizzed apples here from the gitgo?

Picture Post?

Wish I could. But havn't a clue how also do not own a digital camera. Also wised I would not post until I did a spell check as well. Russ

I also recently saw that Laminar Lip makes a Lip for the original-size S windscreen. I'm thinking of getting one of those for long rides. I recently saw an R100S with a tall screen like the one in that pic but I'm having trouble remembering who the owner said made it. I want to think parabellum but don;t wuote me on that. He was nice enough to let me test-ride it though to see if I liked the difference in airflow vs the stock S screeen I have. Results were inconclusive since the seating position and fairing height were not the same as my bike (R100R w/ S-fairing).

wind shield

I just bought a fairing from bob's .The fairing,windscreen and complete mounting set, the cost was around $350. They have a taller windscreen that is 3 1/2 " taller I selected that and it looks great. The parts folks are great to deal, with for detailed parts stuff, ask for Coleen. Of course the gauges will set you back a lot more, but the mounting set comes with black covers for those holes.

I just received my Gustaffson shield. I ended up going with the 14" SS. I did a quick 100 mile jont at speeds between 70 and 75 mph and got very little head movement at all. The blast over the shield hits me just above the visor and I'm right at 5' 11" tall. Time will tell, but I definitely know, I'm not going to need to put the windjammer back on for my trip.

Thanks for all of your replies,
Dave

Just a possibility....

I cut this out of .100 polycarbonate for my '74. I wanted deeper wind & water coverage. Sorry about the image quality, this system just isn't up to snuff. <<<)))

Attachments

• sm_r90s.jpg
    sm_r90s.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 80
gustaffson business

I ordered a S fairing from Gustaffson and after two and a half weeks of trying have been unable to contact them in any way.

No response to numerous e-mails.
Telephone gives you no way to contact them only order or fax.

BE CAREFUL THEY TAKE ;YOUR MONEY DO NOT RESPOND TO INQUEIRES.

gustafson windshield

Warning:
GUSTAFSON has led me on for 3 months about a windshield I payed for and never received. Gustifson has told me twice it will be shipped on Friday.

Not responding to e-mails (12) phone calls (20)

BAD company Can't believe he outright lies.

Dave Preston
presto3@verizon

Back