• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rt 2 Road conditions

D

DZIMBRIC

Can anyone report on the road conditions on Rt 2 between Duluth and Spokane? I had heard some of the pavement was less than optimal.

Thanks
Dan

dzimbric said:
Can anyone report on the road conditions on Rt 2 between Duluth and Spokane? I had heard some of the pavement was less than optimal.

Thanks
Dan

Most parts of the northern USA have two seasons... Winter and highway construction. You might want to check with one of the national traveller's agencies, like AAA for highway condition info, and plan your route accordingly.

Ride Safe!

Here is the construction report for MO
You can view updates at the following link: http://www.mdt.state.mt.us/travinfo/shtml/const_mai.shtml

US-2 12 TO 25 MILES EAST OF LIBBY (SWAMP CREEK AREA). CHIP SEALING WORK IN PROGRESS. EXPECT DELAYS UP TO 15 MINUTES, REDUCED SPEED TO 35 MPH, PILOT CARS, SINGLE-LANE TRAFFIC.

Try to avoid CHIP SEALING at all costs. they basically coat the road with oil and then spread gravel. The cars do the rest :cry

US-2 NORTH MERIDIAN ROAD, FROM THE JUNCTION WITH US 2 TO THE JUNCTION WITH US 93. MISCELLANEOUS WORK IN PROGRESS. UTILITY RELOCATION.

US-2 FROM THE JUNCTION WITH S 206 TO THE HOUSE OF MYSTERY. RECONSTRUCTION WORK IN PROGRESS.

US-2 THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN COMPLETED. HUNGRY HORSE. MISCELLANEOUS WORK IN PROGRESS. EXPECT REDUCED SPEED TO 35 MPH, SINGLE-LANE TRAFFIC, SINGLE-LANE CLOSURES.

US-2 HUNGRY HORSE TO WEST GLACIER. MISCELLANEOUS WORK IN PROGRESS.

US-2 NORTH MERIDIAN ROAD, FROM THE JUNCTION WITH US 2 TO THE JUNCTION WITH US 93. MISCELLANEOUS WORK IN PROGRESS. UTILITY RELOCATION.

US-2 FROM THE JUNCTION WITH S 206 TO THE HOUSE OF MYSTERY. RECONSTRUCTION WORK IN PROGRESS.

MT for Montana, not MO. The Empty State. MT. The report above covers only about the last 200 miles or so in MT from West Glacier through Kalispell to the Idaho border. I think there's some work being done by Havre, too.

If they're chip sealling now, it'll probably be all swept and nice new pavement in two weeks.

Most of the contractors understand the liability with the bikes coming through and they want you obvious and safe. It's a little easier to handle if you're not riding alone, but here's what you do - talk to the flagger and explain you either need to go first or last. If you pull up while they're already holding some traffic, send one biker up to talk, unless you already see bikes up front, then just join them. If you are going first, stay far behind the pilot car but in front of all the other traffic. If you are going last, the flagger will hold all other traffic until you reach the other flagger so take your time.

The gravel may be deep, the oil may be fresh, so just pick your line and stay steady. The posted speed is usually 35mph but this will kick up fresh oil so staying around 20mph is better.

When I hit an area that is freshly laid down but not controlled (no flagger or pilot car) I know the cars and trucks will want to speed even if it's still posted at 35mph. Ride side by side wide or, if you can, change lanes often. Sure, it frustrates the car that wants to speed past but it discourages them from speeding and eventually the driver figures out the issue; or runs you off the road.

You should expect gravel at any point in MT, it all part of the experieince I guess.

Back