• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Just added handguards to my R1100R

N

nevada72

I look forward to my next cold ride. :)

I got these from Bob's for under $50. It's a BMW part. Bolts right on in about 10 minutes.

I like 'cheap' solutions to common problems. Cold hands bad, warm hands good. I run the same hand guards on my R1100RS, considered it money well spent.

Throttlemeister

I have a 2001 R1100R and have been thinking about retrofitting a pair on the bike. However, I have a Throttlemeister and was wondering if the cap extension ( for the Throttlemeister) on the end of the handle presents a problem for attaching the handguards. I ask this as I assume that the guards are attached (bolted?) into the end of the grips and the extra length added to the grip by the cap extension might prohibit my installing them. The idea of virtually eliminating wind-induced frostbite of my fingers is most appealing.

I have a 2001 R1100R and have been thinking about retrofitting a pair on the bike. However, I have a Throttlemeister and was wondering if the cap extension ( for the Throttlemeister) on the end of the handle presents a problem for attaching the handguards.

These do not attach at the bar ends so no interference with the Throttlemeister which I also have. These are mainly for wind, rain, and light debris deflection, not branches and such like the more heavy duty ones found on the new GSs. Here's a link to a diagram and part number.

http://store.bobsbmw.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2734

Nice looking cycle...Good cold weather riding to you.

Thank You! :) Next week it should be in the 40s so I'll get to test my "cold-weather package" - handguards, silk liners and Gerbings G3s, over pants, down vest, 1st Gear heavy jacket, balaclava, boots, etc....

Thanks

Thanks for the info and link. These will be perfect for me, exactly what I need. I assume that these hand guards make a big difference in keeping the hands warm, since the wind is directed around and not on the hands. Have you experienced any problems or interferences during clutching or braking?

I have yet to ride the bike with them on - too busy. :( However, I have "garage tested" them by running through the operations with thick gloves on. No problem. Seeing as they are an OEM part, I expect they will work quite well being designed for that bike and purpose. I've ridden newer GSes with handguards and they were excellent.

I hope to take the bike out for an actual test ride tomorrow or the next day, weather permitting (we're due for some snow tonight!). I just got some Gerbings G3s so I'm anxious to see how warm and cozy I am using my three-part hand warmth program - handguards, silk liners, and the G3s.

I'll update soon.

We did this to my wife's '96 R1100R way back around then. Worked great. Liked it so much when she got a 2000 R1200C, we ordered the Aeroflow handguards for it...never got them mounted but after a particularly cold day on my '00 K1200RS (all fingers numbed out despite the heated grips), I realized the mounting areas were pretty much the same. I mounted and trimmed them up so there was little or no bodywork contact, and what a difference. They also help deflect the air off the torso when the Aeroflow screen is in the high position. They are clear so the aren't too conspicuous...
Jim

I got a chance to try out the handguards in cold weather today. Big thumbs up! It was 35 degrees, windy, cloudy, and light snow flurries which added to the "he-man" quotient. :) My ride was not very long, 2 - 25 minute jaunts. Also, my test was not very scientific in that I was also trying out my new G3s and silk liners so I don't have a comparison. What I can say is that with the gloves not powered up I was plenty warm. The guards really kept the wind off my hands. With the gloves powered on, I was certainly toasty, but not hot. I suspect (despite the saleswoman's warnings and subsequent shilling for the duo thermostat) that the gloves never get uncomfortably warm. It was subtle. My guess is they really help if your hands start out cold and need generated heat. Anyway, I believe the guards are like having windows in your house. You can heat it all you want, but if you have no windows and the cold wind is blowing in, you're nowhere.

Handguards

It looks like these handguards are designed for the R1150's. Could they be adapted to a K75?. Do they just clamp on with a generic type fitting for any type handle bar or do they fit just right on an R type bar?

Thanks,
John

It looks like these handguards are designed for the R1150's. Could they be adapted to a K75?. Do they just clamp on with a generic type fitting for any type handle bar or do they fit just right on an R type bar?

Thanks,
John

My bike is a R1100R. The handguards are a BMW, oem, very specific bolt on part for the R1100GS and R1100R/850 bikes. They may fit others including yours, but it's not a clamp on at all. They are so specific, in fact, that the right and left guards mount in totally different ways.

New farkle

Well.... I had a present when I got home today- my new handguards. They went on very easily except when I tried to attach the left side mirror. I had to drill out the hole a little bit to allow the mirror stalk to fit through. I can hardly wait to try them out. Could it be that heated gloves might not be required? We shall see.........

Eaganj346, I would agree with Nevada72; these handguards seem to be specifically designed for the R11xx series bikes. I would be very surprised if these parts would fit on a K75.

Would love to know if there is something comparable for the R0/6.

I doubt there is an OEM part, but there are a lot of universal (handlebar clamp) handguards out there. The trick is to find ones that aren't moto-cross specific which are usually in bright colors with graphics and vent holes.

Back