• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thermarest pad in a Big Agnes bag?

REBGEN

Here's a cheapskate question. Would it be a workable option to use my Thermarest pads (1.5"x20") 3/4 length inserted in a regular size BA Encampment? I used search to look for a reference and couldn't find anything. I know the 3/4 length could be a problem.

I have two of them and usually strap them together. Just curious if they would work in place of the OEM BA pads. Thanks!

If they fit in the Big Agnes sleeve then yes you could use them. But remember that Big Agnes bags do not have any insulation on the bottom. The air mattress provides the insulation.

After sleeping on thermarest pads and the Big Agnes air mattress, I will never sleep on a thermarest again.

Thanks for the feedback. The Dual Core pad I would use with the bag is only around $60 so I'll probably order the BA pad to complete the set.

Looking forward to eliminating the bag surfing I've experienced in the past when camping on ground that isn't 100% level.

Big Agnes pad with BA sleeping bag

I have a BA sleeping bag and pad, the bag is a 20 degree bag. I have a BA pad. I took it camping last weekend, the temp was around 40 and it was raining. I was cold with my pad. I don't know if perhaps I have the wrong BA pad cause I felt the heat getting sucked out of me during the night. I noticed there was a black side and a maroon side. Maroon side was down, should it have been on the black side? I was thinking of getting a thermarest pad and placing it between the BA pad and the ground. Any thoughts?

After sleeping on thermarest pads and the Big Agnes air mattress, I will never sleep on a thermarest again.

+1/2 I mostly agree with this. Blowing up the air mattress is a pain, but hey...the air mattress packs down smaller than a full-sized thermarest and I like to keep all my gear inside the luggage.

I have a BA sleeping bag and pad, the bag is a 20 degree bag. I have a BA pad. I took it camping last weekend, the temp was around 40 and it was raining. I was cold with my pad. I don't know if perhaps I have the wrong BA pad cause I felt the heat getting sucked out of me during the night. I noticed there was a black side and a maroon side. Maroon side was down, should it have been on the black side? I was thinking of getting a thermarest pad and placing it between the BA pad and the ground. Any thoughts?

I think you had the pad turned over the wrong way. On the Big Agnes pad one side is insulated for cold weather and the other side isn't unsulated for warm weather.

I don't have a Big Agnes pad in my bag. I use a Exped Synmat 7 pad that has the built in pump to inflate the pad. To use it you open the cap and basicly just give the pad compressions like you were giving it CPR. Both sides of this pad are insulated so I don't need to remember which side is which. The place I bought my Big Agnes had these pads also. Seemed much easier to me than puffing into the Big Agnes pad.

One side of my pad is a rust color and the other side is grey. On the grey side you can see the pump. After opening the cap you let the foam inside inflate. Then you cover the hole with your hand and compress the foam. Then remove your hand and let the foam inflate again. There is an internal one way valve so you don't lose pressure every time you take your hand off of the hole. It beats the heck out of having to blow the Big Agnes pad up by mouth. It takes about 40-50 compressions to get it up to pressure. That takes about 1-2 minutes. Pretty easy.

407148287_HgWqw-L.jpg

407147613_VFZfN-L.jpg

Below freezing w/o troubles:)

BA bag and their black air matress(insulated) and camping into the freezing temps without chills here. The matress is troublesome to air up, however, as it takes too long imo. It packs very small though and I like this, vs anything else out there available. I know the Thermorest will fit into the BA bags, but I've had it with Thermorest products as they do not pack well and are never thick enough to keep parts of me from the hard ground! Warm, yes, but not much else good for me in Thermorest stuff. The BA air matress does the job well. Expensive, Yes....Randy:)

Great Reviews!

Sometimes you read threads reviewing products, and you walk away saying that there is no conclusion, it's different for everybody. What I got out of this thread is it's time to ditch to old decade old leaky thermarest and buy a Big Agnes. I have camped 20 years with a mohair horseblanket, and will continue using that as a "first defense" on the floor of the tent where Im setting or under the pad, but the BA sounds like from most everyone's opinion, the way to go!

Thanks!

Therma rest and BA Bags

I have a 25" wide by 4" thick Therma rest sold by Cabelas that fits in both my 40 degree and 20 degree BA bags. Yea the pads big when it's packed but sleeping on it is very close to sleeping in my bed at home.

I have a 25" wide by 4" thick Therma rest sold by Cabelas

Jim-

Was this mattress a genuine ThermaRest brand, or just a self-inflator sold by Cabela's?

If you (or anyone else) could locate a link, I'd be very interested. I did find the "Cabela's Ultimate Self-Inflating Sleeping Pads" at 3.5" thick, but the narrowest shown on their site is 34". http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...de=UJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233

Others shown are 2.5" thick, which is the same as my current ThermaRest.

I see Eureka! tent sells a self-inflating mattress that's 4" thick, but it's for their Canadian market. As an aside, I find it interesting that Eureka! has a separate Canadian product line. This includes some improved versions of the Timberline tent and an improved version the long-discontinued (in the U.S., anyway) Alpine Meadows. My old Alpine Meadows was a long-serving friend. End of thread hijack...:)

What model and temp?

I hate to be cold also--so if your 20 degree bag was cold at 40, what would you buy next time? I looked at all the assortments and there are many choices--would almost have to see them in full and packed size. My camping is pretty much over for the winter, but BA seems the way to go. Would be great if there was a vendor at the upcoming national rally.

big agnes

I have the 20 degree bag and the 15 degree insulated pad (air-core,I think). I have never been cold down below freezing. The pad is much more comfortable than any Thermarest I have owned. It packs great, about the size of a softball. Big Agnes sells a foot operated air pump but I carry a Wal Mart electric inflator. It has a built in battery, a 115v charger and a 12v adaptor that I put a BMW plug on.

Back