• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Uni Go Trailers Quality questions

Thanks for the reply, Cehlbeck. Please let me know how things work out.
I'm curious about the cost of new and how it handles etc.

MNeblett: thanks also for the reply. So, in your opinion the Bushtec handles more smoothly/no waggling issues? How about cost? I presume the Unigo is a bit less expensive? And a wobble/waggle at 70+mph is acceptable? Does that occur all the time or only under certain conditions eg: weight loading or passing/following large trucks?

As a side note, I'm thinking that if it keeps me under 70+mph it's likely a good thing
(I do tend to push my luck a fair bit speed-wise)

So, in your opinion the Bushtec handles more smoothly/no waggling issues? How about cost? I presume the Unigo is a bit less expensive? And a wobble/waggle at 70+mph is acceptable? Does that occur all the time or only under certain conditions eg: weight loading or passing/following large trucks?
The Bushtec is a smoother-following trailer -- longer neck, air-adjustable suspension with far more travel/ability to absorb road shocks, large-diameter, well-separated wheels, and a hitch arrangement which does not transfer "tip-over" torques from the trailer to the bike = an inherently more stable platform.

A few years ago, my Bushtec Quantum was over $4k; the Uni-Go is, what, 1/2 that? Not sure, as I purchased mine used.

The small amount of trailer movement at 70+ is, for me, acceptable. At first a bit disconcerting, but by now I'm fairly comfortable, as it appears to be adequately self-damping (i.e., I don't "stiff-arm" the handlebars, and let the bike's head wag a tiny bit without feeling the wobble is heading of "out of control"). Again, more weight in the trailer tends to reduce the amount of wagging.

And yes, the wagging must be "induced" by something like a significant pavement irregularity or a pulsing wind from a truck -- the trailer is not inherently unstable.

Those are excellent reasons to go with a 2-wheel trailer. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your input.

The Bushtec is a smoother-following trailer -- longer neck, air-adjustable suspension with far more travel/ability to absorb road shocks, large-diameter, well-separated wheels, and a hitch arrangement which does not transfer "tip-over" torques from the trailer to the bike = an inherently more stable platform.

A few years ago, my Bushtec Quantum was over $4k; the Uni-Go is, what, 1/2 that? Not sure, as I purchased mine used.

The small amount of trailer movement at 70+ is, for me, acceptable. At first a bit disconcerting, but by now I'm fairly comfortable, as it appears to be adequately self-damping (i.e., I don't "stiff-arm" the handlebars, and let the bike's head wag a tiny bit without feeling the wobble is heading of "out of control"). Again, more weight in the trailer tends to reduce the amount of wagging.

And yes, the wagging must be "induced" by something like a significant pavement irregularity or a pulsing wind from a truck -- the trailer is not inherently unstable.

Agreed on your comments re Unigo. I designed an adjustable damper for mine that greatly reduced the tendency to wag. Staying under 80 mph also helps :whistle

Attachments

• IMGP4869_resize.JPG
    IMGP4869_resize.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 976
Last edited:
Uni-go trailers again

I'd like to bump this thread. It's been a year since anyone posted and I never saw an answer about the "newer" Uni-go trailers and whether they perform better. I'm very seriously looking at buying one. I'd rather buy used, but I'd pay extra for a new one if they have been significantly improved. Any new Uni-go owners out there pulling one behind either a 1200RT or an 1150GS? I really don't need the extra space of a larger, two wheel trailer. Any updated information would be appreciated. Also, is the Bushtec hitch better or worse than the DMC hitch? -Al

I'd like to bump this thread. It's been a year since anyone posted and I never saw an answer about the "newer" Uni-go trailers and whether they perform better. I'm very seriously looking at buying one. I'd rather buy used, but I'd pay extra for a new one if they have been significantly improved. Any new Uni-go owners out there pulling one behind either a 1200RT or an 1150GS? I really don't need the extra space of a larger, two wheel trailer. Any updated information would be appreciated. Also, is the Bushtec hitch better or worse than the DMC hitch? -Al

As well, I would be interested in any update regarding the Uni-Go production. Maybe someone in Jacksonville area would just ride over and take a look? - Bob (ex distributor for Uni-Go in Canada)

Unigo Updates

This is an older thread but still relevant. I've bought a '04, New Zealand made, Unigo. Installed the Bustec Hitch on a '12 K1600GT. I have the dreaded wobble that I'm chasing. I raised the drawbar which lowers the front of the trailer, help some but not much. The Unigo adapter for the Bushtec extends the hitch 5-6 inches and isn't rock solid. I've shortened the hitch and added gussets for strength. Will be taking it out again in a week or so. In a previous post GSAaddict installed a stabilizer to a Unigo. With PhotoBucket screwing everyone the photos he posted are no longer available. Anyone have photos of that setup or any new advice on stabilizing the Unigo at high speed?

Duane

This is an older thread but still relevant. I've bought a '04, New Zealand made, Unigo. Installed the Bustec Hitch on a '12 K1600GT. I have the dreaded wobble that I'm chasing. I raised the drawbar which lowers the front of the trailer, help some but not much. The Unigo adapter for the Bushtec extends the hitch 5-6 inches and isn't rock solid. I've shortened the hitch and added gussets for strength. Will be taking it out again in a week or so. In a previous post GSAaddict installed a stabilizer to a Unigo. With PhotoBucket screwing everyone the photos he posted are no longer available. Anyone have photos of that setup or any new advice on stabilizing the Unigo at high speed?

Duane

I replaced the Photof**it blocked image

Unhi Go quality concerns

One morning, after a rather energetic night around the campfire, I emerged from my tent and noticed, much to my surprise and dismay, that my Uni Go trailer had only ONE wheel still attached to the unit. WTF !!! :scratch

Friedle

Wobble Issue Resolved, it was the hitch, not the trailer!

Shortening and stiffing the hitch solved my wobble problem. I've towed at 105 mph and had no wobble. I also replaced hitch thumb screw with a bolt that a cinch down. Cruising at 80mph you don't know it's back there.

Duane

K1300GT hitch out there

I'd like to get a hitch for my K1300GT. I've pulled my Unigo behind my Goldwing for over 10K miles but I've sold the Wing and down to one the K bike now. Anyone have a hitch for a K1300GT out there they'd like to sell? I've seen online a gentleman who made his own hitch and I may have to do the same unless I can find one here.

Thanks,
ldmc
Ohio

ldmc -

Welcome to the forum! I suggest you put a want-to-buy ad in the Marketplace...see link above. That way we keep the technical forum area clean of buying/selling. Thanks...

Back