• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Uni Go Trailers Quality questions

- Longer bump stop noted
- Old trick - sealed bearings are regreasable, carefully pry of rubber or metal seals, wash, dry, repack and push seals back on. Just about any sealed bearing can be done this way.
- Went thru all the remedies you describe with NZ with no fix. I am aware that the joint is not to be greased as it has no needles (replaced by nylon bushings)
- Slow speed U turns loaded 2 up = practice + courage :eek

Thanks for the tip about the bearings. Longer bump stop limits some travel of course. What I used was a tapered hard rubber plug that you might use to cap a container. Cut a piece out about the inside diameter of the spring and about a 1/2 inch thick. Lubricate and fight with it a bit until you can squeeze it in. Take apart if you like though. Seems to work. Or order a longer one from Schoolhouse.

That wobble has a source. If nothing loose then usually traced to some alignment issue. If you have not talked with Mark at Schoolhouse then you might want to. Another thought. I did have our trailer take on a life of it's own once. Buffeting from truck on highway curve. What I did wrong: loaded the trailer with all the gear but none on the bike. Riding solo. Never had an issue when weight distributed over bike and trailer while two up. Another thought, is your hitch flexing at all? I had a welder reinforce the sides of the lower hitch member just behind the rear pegs (had a rust issue in a poor weld seam). Absolutely no give in the hitch. Knew another guy who did the same because of wobble and it was cured. Maybe just luck or some realignment during assembly but it worked. -Bob

UniGo NZ trailer problems customer service question

- Went thru all the remedies you describe with NZ with no fix.

Hi,
Does that mean your trailer still has problems and you can't find anybody to fix it? Have you contacted the US distributor? If so, have they been any help in servicing the NZ model customers?

Thanks for the tip about the bearings. Longer bump stop limits some travel of course. What I used was a tapered hard rubber plug that you might use to cap a container. Cut a piece out about the inside diameter of the spring and about a 1/2 inch thick. Lubricate and fight with it a bit until you can squeeze it in. Take apart if you like though. Seems to work. Or order a longer one from Schoolhouse.

That wobble has a source. If nothing loose then usually traced to some alignment issue. If you have not talked with Mark at Schoolhouse then you might want to. Another thought. I did have our trailer take on a life of it's own once. Buffeting from truck on highway curve. What I did wrong: loaded the trailer with all the gear but none on the bike. Riding solo. Never had an issue when weight distributed over bike and trailer while two up. Another thought, is your hitch flexing at all? I had a welder reinforce the sides of the lower hitch member just behind the rear pegs (had a rust issue in a poor weld seam). Absolutely no give in the hitch. Knew another guy who did the same because of wobble and it was cured. Maybe just luck or some realignment during assembly but it worked. -Bob

Thanks for the tips. I was told that some GS's had this problem and the solution was a upgraded heavier hitch if I was willing to throw another $400 + shipping at it. I wasn't. You are right though...buffeting from big trucks sets it off.

Hi,
Does that mean your trailer still has problems and you can't find anybody to fix it? Have you contacted the US distributor? If so, have they been any help in servicing the NZ model customers?

I put a lot of effort in this 5 years ago and have learned to live with it as it ended with replacing the hitch which I was not prepared to do at full cost. I will mention that Chris would not guarantee that the hitch would solve the problem for sure. I did contact the US distributor a while ago and whoever I talked to there claimed not to know anything about a High Speed Wobble.:dunno
Meanwhile I really watch my speed when passing.

Thanks for the tips. I was told that some GS's had this problem and the solution was a upgraded heavier hitch if I was willing to throw another $400 + shipping at it. I wasn't. You are right though...buffeting from big trucks sets it off.

Likely a dumb question but you do have a cinching bolt on the right side of the receiver? Also, in looking at the picture of your bike I just wonder if there really is enough lateral support to deal with the twisting forces of the trailer. This twisting force is why most after market hitches do not work well (Bushtec is an exception) because they primarily cater to the two wheel trailer market.

Funny how you got that :dunno response from the manufacturer Re: wobble. -Bob

Likely a dumb question but you do have a cinching bolt on the right side of the receiver? Also, in looking at the picture of your bike I just wonder if there really is enough lateral support to deal with the twisting forces of the trailer. This twisting force is why most after market hitches do not work well (Bushtec is an exception) because they primarily cater to the two wheel trailer market.

Funny how you got that :dunno response from the manufacturer Re: wobble. -Bob
Cinch bolt tight for sure. As far as lateral support goes - good point but this is an original UniGo hitch, one would think that would/should have been taken in account by the manufacturer. As far as the US response goes; I felt like the person was not interested in my problem as I had not bought it from them and they were not interested in inheriting any NZ problems.

Unigo

I'll restart this thread to give a glimpse of my experience.

I have an older Unigo and it has the dreaded 75 mph wobble. I worked the cinch bolt, checked alignment the best I can. Last fall I took the wheel off for inspection and found the wheel badly cupped. A new tire is on order from Schoolhouse. I'll double check the bearings when I do the tire. I hope I can find someone to do a good balance job. Mark says I need a 12mm bolt for a dummy axle for balancing rollers. I hope the wobble is gone. Also, I have the tire rubbing the wheel well. I bet Mark will have a solution.

At Devils tower, returning from Gillette, I had to stop and clean my shorts after hitting a bad tar snake, on a 60mph curve, with the trailer.

I like the trailer as it keeps every thing off the rear seat. On an '04 RT, that is important. I hate high weight.

Ben
I gave my AIG bonus back. <g>

I have an older Unigo and it has the dreaded 75 mph wobble. I worked the cinch bolt, checked alignment the best I can. Last fall I took the wheel off for inspection and found the wheel badly cupped. A new tire is on order from Schoolhouse. I'll double check the bearings when I do the tire. I hope I can find someone to do a good balance job. Mark says I need a 12mm bolt for a dummy axle for balancing rollers. I hope the wobble is gone. Also, I have the tire rubbing the wheel well. I bet Mark will have a solution.

At Devils tower, returning from Gillette, I had to stop and clean my shorts after hitting a bad tar snake, on a 60mph curve, with the trailer.

I like the trailer as it keeps every thing off the rear seat. On an '04 RT, that is important. I hate high weight.

Ben

My tire has no cupping and is in perfect shape. The assembly is statically balanced and still wobbles at 75.

Uni-Go Trailer question

Ben

I had talked to Mark and convinced myself that everything is alright with the Uni-Go Trailers and then Dave Hansen told me about the horror stories regarding his NZ model. It has every problem ever mentioned. Evidently the manufacturing problems were systematic and not simply a few trailers.
I ask again, please reply offline to CaptRehkopf@comcast.net, what are the American manufacture trailers reliability, etc.?
I need a trailer for this summer and I'm afraid to committ to a Uni-Go.

I had talked to Mark and convinced myself that everything is alright with the Uni-Go Trailers and then Dave Hansen told me about the horror stories regarding his NZ model. It has every problem ever mentioned. Evidently the manufacturing problems were systematic and not simply a few trailers.
I ask again, please reply offline to CaptRehkopf@comcast.net, what are the American manufacture trailers reliability, etc.?
I need a trailer for this summer and I'm afraid to committ to a Uni-Go.

I don't mean to take away from your PM message but I do think that if anyone has any info regarding current status then it would be appreciated. We have a NZ model with about 40,000 miles now I think. Have run it just over 100 mph two up and all the gear. No issues. Friends have the same and no issues. There were some periods of time though when QC was somewhat slack. Anyway, I would be interested in hearing what some others have found. -Bob

Uni-Go stability

I "was" in the market for a trailer for my R1200RT and really liked the Unigo design. I checked with a dealer and found out that there are still stability issues ("about 10% wobble and we don't know why") The "fix" is that they are going to put a sticker on it recommended that you don't exceed 55 mph. That was the deal killer for me. After much more research I couldn't find anyone that didn't like their Bushtec (two wheels instead of one and can't roll it in the hotel room, but oh well) and ordered it. Should arrive soon. Hope it lives up to all the praise that it gets.

Other Options

I pull a N Line with my HD. It is one wheel weighs about the same and has twice (about) the cubic capacity of a Unigo. I chose it over the Unigo. Made in Des Moines Iowa by a guy who liked the trailers and bought the company and moved it to Iowa. I know he makes hitches for HD's and Gold Wings, not sure about BMW's.

http://www.n-line.com/

Here's one hooked to my HD. You truly never know it is there. You can ride as twisty as you want. It tracks just where your tires go.

243586240_NjQrn-XL.jpg

YMMV

I "was" in the market for a trailer for my R1200RT and really liked the Unigo design. I checked with a dealer and found out that there are still stability issues ("about 10% wobble and we don't know why") The "fix" is that they are going to put a sticker on it recommended that you don't exceed 55 mph. That was the deal killer for me. After much more research I couldn't find anyone that didn't like their Bushtec (two wheels instead of one and can't roll it in the hotel room, but oh well) and ordered it. Should arrive soon. Hope it lives up to all the praise that it gets.

I agree. I have looked at this for over a year and have determined the same thing, TWO wheels better than one.

Never heard of that particular 'fix'. We used to be the Canadian distributor and there were no wobble issues. Ours has about 40,000 miles on it and never wobbled. Have run it up to 100 mph, two up with trailer loaded.... no issues. Hard braking.... not issues. Immergency avoidance.... no issues. The wobble issue has more to do with alignment and stability of the hitch. Flexing of the hitch is not a good thing for one wheel trailers. Bushtec is a great trailer of course but you cannot match the performance of a one wheel trailer with that of a two wheel rig. Different animals with their own capabilities and limitations. my .02. - Bob

Never heard of that particular 'fix'. We used to be the Canadian distributor and there were no wobble issues. Ours has about 40,000 miles on it and never wobbled. Have run it up to 100 mph, two up with trailer loaded.... no issues. Hard braking.... not issues. Immergency avoidance.... no issues. The wobble issue has more to do with alignment and stability of the hitch. Flexing of the hitch is not a good thing for one wheel trailers. Bushtec is a great trailer of course but you cannot match the performance of a one wheel trailer with that of a two wheel rig. Different animals with their own capabilities and limitations. my .02. - Bob

Bob,
I think we've talked about the Uni-Go in the past and I have been on the fence deciding whether to buy one or not. Besides all the stories I've heard it took me following a guy to firm up my decision. I was going to the Top of the Rockies Rally last year and four guys who seemed to know their way came by me pretty fast. I figured they were heading to the TOR so I spead up behind them. The last guy was on an LT pulling a Uni-Go and what I saw scared me. At speed, less than the 100 mph you mentioned the Uni-Go made the whole back end of the LT wobble from side to side. The rider didn't seem to mind but to me riding a lighter K1200RS it looked like a disaster waiting to happen. Personal observation was what made the 'rumors' of the Uni-Go problems concrete in my mind. I also thought the lighter RS would probably wobble much worse than the LT My .02 too, and of course YMMV.
Robert

I have had several two wheel trailers. I never had any problems with handling. I also install swivel hitches on all of my trailers. the main thing I like about two wheeled trailers is the extra cargo space. but everyone likes something different. thats why they make so many different types...:D

Bob,
I think we've talked about the Uni-Go in the past and I have been on the fence deciding whether to buy one or not. Besides all the stories I've heard it took me following a guy to firm up my decision. I was going to the Top of the Rockies Rally last year and four guys who seemed to know their way came by me pretty fast. I figured they were heading to the TOR so I spead up behind them. The last guy was on an LT pulling a Uni-Go and what I saw scared me. At speed, less than the 100 mph you mentioned the Uni-Go made the whole back end of the LT wobble from side to side. The rider didn't seem to mind but to me riding a lighter K1200RS it looked like a disaster waiting to happen. Personal observation was what made the 'rumors' of the Uni-Go problems concrete in my mind. I also thought the lighter RS would probably wobble much worse than the LT My .02 too, and of course YMMV.
Robert

I have heard of this tendency on a few bikes with Uni-Go. Mostly I have heard though that by stiffening the hitch and realigning made most of it go away. One more central point though is how it is loaded. I made the mistake once of loading the trailer significantly but having no distribution of weight to the bike and riding solo. Handling really sucked and the back of the bike was compromised. So, I stopped and spread the weight as if it was a seven foot motorcycle and it was a real champ after that. If that LT was wiggling around like that I would say that (if not the hitch) weight distribution was way off. I still believe that the trailer itself is sound but attention to alignment, hitch quality (for twisting forces) and weight distribution/balance is critical. Odd that the rider you mentioned seemed to accept this as normal bike behavior :scratch - Bob

I have had several two wheel trailers. I never had any problems with handling. I also install swivel hitches on all of my trailers. the main thing I like about two wheeled trailers is the extra cargo space. but everyone likes something different. thats why they make so many different types...:D

:thumb

pull behind trailers

Well, I thought that I had my mind made up as the unigo trailer looks clean but these stories scare me. I have also been looking at the bushtec. I have not heard of any issues with any of them. So I guess that now I am leaning towards bushtec. I love this forum. There is so much experience out there. Keep the comments going. Any other trailers out there the quality of bushtec that trailer like a dream with no issues?

hate to burst your bubble

but i have personally followed bushtech trailers down the road, and watched them swing so badly that i was scared out of my mind. To the point that i passed him, because i didn't want to be anywhere near him when he crashed.....

now i have also pulled RV trailers, and the proper hitch and weight distribution do make a difference with almost all trailers... although not as much with ones this long!! :nyah

Back