• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS - Need Help on Purchase

brprider679

I want to purchase a GPS unit that I can use on my bike as well as in my car. Does anyone have a reccomendation on which unit to buy. I have read the posts on the Garmin and it seem to be the GPS of choice but I don't want to spend $600 +. Is there a unit that will do the trick for less?

Many of us use the Garmin 60 Cx. I liked it so much after more than 2 years of use, I just bought another one as a spare.

A few of its many advantages & features:
  • various power options: 8 to 36 Vdc vehicle power, runs 15+ hours on a pair of AAs, USB power.
  • non-proprietary micro SD cards to store maps. A 2 Gb card runs under $20.
  • tracks can be stored to the micro SD card therefore you're not limited to the built-in track logs.
  • fits into a pocket.
  • waterproof to IPX7

About $300

This time of year, your local "stuff" store like Best Buy, Circut City, REI, etc., will starting having sales on Garmin's and other good GPS's.

You need to set your self a budget, then shop for what fills that budget. Look at the features you need and the features you would like to have, but aren't required. Are there "hidden" cost, like having to pay for up-dating your maps (Garmin) or are the up-dates free (Tom-Tom)?

Your GPS should come with a car kit, so you'll need to buy the motorcycle kit to mount it on your bike. Usually moving the new GPS's from car mount to motorcycle mount to whatever mount is really pretty easy.

Go to the web sites, the good GPS makers will have links on their sites for GPS's for cars, motorcycle, boats, airplanes, etc. Good luck! :thumb

Check Costco website. I just purchased Zumo 450 for $349.99.

The GPS is also covered under Costco's return with no questions policy. You will need to purchase the car mount for the 450.

I have been using a Garmin 60CX, which is a great all-around handheld GPS. I use it on my motorcycles, bicycle, in my car and for hiking. It is very versatile. It's only drawback is that it has a small screen.

I just bought a Garmin Zumo 450 from Costco. It works in the car and on the bike as well, but it is not as versatile as the 60CX. It also doesn't have as many features as my 60CX and some people consider it to be "dumbed down" from GPSs llike Garmin's 276 and 2610. However, I find that it has the basic features that most of us really need. Also, it does have a larger screen than my 60CX

Gps

After having a 2610 for a year, I bought one for my daughter who loves it. I finally retired my 2610 and bought a new model which was the 2820. This model has everything already loaded on it. I absolutely love it. I would not go without it ever again. You can get new units for about $500.00. It is excellent. www.gadgetguy.com has great mounts for it. You can get cheaper but these are probably, imho, the best made and the nicest looking. If you get one, make sure you get the motorcycle installation kit with it if it doesn't come with one. You can lock it on the bike then. I've had the 2820 for one year already and the 2610 for five years before I retired it. You can get cheaper but be sure to get one that will not crash with vibration and is waterproof. The 2820 is both. The original 2610 was just water resistant.

+1 on Gadgetguy mounts.

Excellent quality and great service I got a dash mount and it is awesome

Also check out www.gpsdiscounts.com

I got a refurb 550 zumo for $592 including shipping

They also have many other models

I want to purchase a GPS unit that I can use on my bike as well as in my car. Does anyone have a reccomendation on which unit to buy. I have read the posts on the Garmin and it seem to be the GPS of choice but I don't want to spend $600 +. Is there a unit that will do the trick for less?

Garmin 2720, refurb with 08 NA city navigator for ~$170.00 plus another $30 for a RAM mount. I use it on the bike and in the truck. I have no complaints.

I bought a Garmin 200W for $178 from Sam's. Big 4x3 screen, very bright. It doesn't have all the features of the more expensive models like MP3 player, Bluetooth, traffic updates (monthly fee), but its the same GPS. The windshield mount is and engineering piece of art, simple, strong, secure. I bought a mount for the motorcycle ($70) and it fit perfectly. I used the 200W to get from New Orleans to Indy for the MotoGP and I took only backroads there and back, and it was wonderful. It's not waterproof but if it rains, stick in a dry place for a while. I was also able to use the touch screen just fine with gloved hands.

I second the garmin proposed by JCRidge. Great in my explorer as well as on the K bikes. Big enough for the car, bright enough for the bike at mid-day, and I picked it up CHEAP on ebay.

Good luck.

Refurbished Garmin 2730 including XM antenna for $179 delivered, no tax, E-bay.

Got a Ram mount (available from a lot of different places) for the bike.

1224374759.jpg

If you don't want the XM, sell it on e-bay or here on flea market. They bring around $100 which would make your net cost under $100 for the GPS.

Great unit, easy to use, bright display and very affordable.

I've hooked up the sound output to my Autocom and now I can listen in stereo to XM, hear GPS prompts over the music and my B2B radio over it all!

Buying used Autocom, I've got less than $400 total in my complete comm system.

Now that's squeezing the Eagle till he cries.
We must chat sometime, missed you at the Dell's this year, Bud!

Now that's squeezing the Eagle till he cries.
We must chat sometime, missed you at the Dell's this year, Bud!

Cheapest thing on a BMW??????:laugh

Here is where I got mine. Fast shipping, great customer service.

Garmin 2730 on ebay

Had a great time at the Dells. Hope to see you there next year.

Get a zumo! If you can make the stretch, get the 550!:laugh

The 550 comes with easy mounting solutions for your bike along with a great car kit that allows you to switch it to your car in seconds. When comparing the Zumo 550 to other units, keep in mind it includes all the mounting and car kit. Not to mention it's waterproof and uses touch screen since it's designed for motorcycles. It's really great if you can stretch your budget to the $650 range.

Get a Zumo 550

I purchased the Zumo 550 on a closeout sale from Best Buy a couple of months ago. It is easily transferable to the car. Just plug the power cord, that is supplied with the car mount, into the car's power adapter receptacle(cigarette lighter) .

I have been very happy with my Zumo.

Back