• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fog City

miairhead

Any one try this product. I found it poor. I ride in the dark and this just is a very poor product for that. It does say on the inside of the package that it not recommend for night, well if you ride a bike your most likely going to ride at night sometime.

I wouldn't leave home without it in cold or wet weather. I have one on my clear shield. No more notching to stop the fog, heck you can sneeze in there and it won't fog up. Great for cold weather riding too.
I don't like it when it gets sunny, but that is why I do not have one on my smoked shield. I imagine the refractive light would be an issue at night too, but I seldom ride at night.

I commute to work at night and have one installed on both of my helmets. They work great during the day but I have found that they reduce the amount of light passing through the shield at night to the point it looks like I am riding in fog. Oncoming headlights and streetlights create a flare effect also. During my ride home in the morning, into the rising sun, there is glare which I counter with a Super-Visor face shield visor that I keep on both helmets. I always ride with a a pair of safety glasses on. I have two pair of Revison Sawfly shooting glasses, one clear and the other tinted which carries an Rx insert. For cold weather riding at night I wear a balaclava to keep the wind off of my face with the shield open.

I have one. I agree that it has a weird effect at night with flaring or whatever, but I got used to it. It beats the snow out of fogging up in cool weather, especially when it is raining...

What product are y'all talking about? Maybe there's something wrong with my browser, but I don't see any reference to a product by name or link.

Any one try this product. I found it poor. I ride in the dark and this just is a very poor product for that. It does say on the inside of the package that it not recommend for night, well if you ride a bike your most likely going to ride at night sometime.

What do you mean by "poor"? Does it prevent fogging or not?

I've found that if you change your face shield frequently, the flexing involved seems to weaken the seal around the FogCity, allowing air/moisture inside. And, like a storm window, once the seal is compromised, it no longer insulates properly. I had to put aside my "daily" clear face shield because as soon as I set off in the wee hours of the morning (my regular commute is pre-dawn), the insert would start to fog.

I've had this FogCity insert on my helmet for over 3 years, and just this past Spring got to changing from clear to dark shield daily (used to wear sunglasses in the helmet). I think that flexing the shield to slide it into the visor protector sleeve probably is what caused the problem.

The "starring" around lights at night is a bit weird, but not a huge issue. You get used to it.

P

The "starring" around lights at night is a bit weird, but not a huge issue. You get used to it.

P

The main reason I try to keep the shield open at night is so I can keep an eye out for critters large and small here in Vermont.

I did not like the Fog City insert. It scratched so easily, I eventually could barely see through it. Just my $.02.

I always use Plexus and a microfiber cloth. Never scratches the shield......but did a number on the Fog City insert, which I finally just had to remove. Still using the same shield, BTW. :dunno

Try Fog Tech

It's an anti-fog solution in a small paper towel, sealed in a foil pouch. Wipe it on the inside of your visor and say goodbye to fog. I get about 3 applications per towel if I put it back in the pouch and seal that in a small plastic zip bag with the air squeezed out. An application lasts several days.

I've been using Fog Tech for about 3 weeks. Two days ago, I rode to work at 29F (-2C), did my huff and puff test and had NO fog on the visor.

The same company makes Rain Coat, a water-beading coating for the outside of the visor. Haven't tried that yet -- might have some rain tomorrow morning for a test.

I've been using the Fog City for over a year now through two winters and it is great. I've never had a fog in the coldest weather even when the shield starts to ice over on the edges. I use sun/safety glasses as well except when it is cold and they fog over. I only use it with a clear shield, day or night. In the city where there are a lot of lights it does cause a star burst affect but otherwise the visitbility at night is good. I clean it with a micro fiber and have not removed the sheild since I installed it. I guess that is why I still have a good seal and during the day, I can't tell it is even installed. If you have an HJC you know it is well known to fog up even on warm days.

Back