• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

84 airheads valve recession

Well from that list I see some anomolies. I've never seen a bike built in '87 with an MSO as an '86 model. As I understand it the bikes built as '86 models (9/85 build date)

Paul -

I'm a little confused. I thought the change-over for model years happened after the August "vacation". Thus a bike built in September 1985 would be a 1986 model. That's the case with my September 1977 built '78 R100/7. So then, why isn't a bike built in July or August 1987 not called a 1986 model???

Paul -

I'm a little confused. I thought the change-over for model years happened after the August "vacation". Thus a bike built in September 1985 would be a 1986 model. That's the case with my September 1977 built '78 R100/7. So then, why isn't a bike built in July or August 1987 not called a 1986 model???

September 1985 through August 1986 = 1986 model

September 1986 through August 1987 = 1987 model, not 1986 model

And just to confound things a bit - Voni's R1100RS was built in March of 1993, purchased in May of 1993 ("Beta Bike") and still titled as a 1994 model. You should have seen the puzzled folks at the DMV over that one.

The 1984s were indeed the "Last Edition" R100s.

R100GS appeared in 1987 and R100RT and R100RS reappeared in 1988.

There were no 1985-1987 RS or RT.

One way to get longer life out of your valves and seats from post '80 heads is to get rid of the ' air inpulse system'. This devise has caused as much damage as mismatched seats and valves. Having excess combustion happening at the exhaust port burns up the valves and seats at a much faster rate than normal. This devise does nothing to improve the performance, reliability,better fuel economy, or long life of the engine. It's a hindrance. I recommend a total removal of the whole system. It's like an iceberg, hidden; most of it inside the airbox. Probably 1/3 of the airbox is taken up by this hideous devise. It's an obstruction to the airflow, which is vital to your engine's performance. By now most airheads are do a topend anyway, some are on their 2nd or 3rd rebuild.With the head off it's a good time to remove the system. Even heads with mismatched seats/valves are usually good for 100,000 and believe me someone will pipe in they got 150,000 plus and their bikes are running better than ever. Good for you continue on.

Isn't there a lead additive that could be used in the pre 1980 models that could delay the onset of the vavle recession problem?

Isn't there a lead additive that could be used in the pre 1980 models that could delay the onset of the vavle recession problem?

Try a search on the Airheads forum here...you'll find this has been discussed early and often... Personally, I use ValvTect in my /7.

How does one go about

How does one go about finding a cylinder head rebuilder that has the good experience to do the valve work on the 80's model airheads. And how do I go about being sure that the best seats for the job are selected.

BMW does not sell the seats do they????

Anyone know of a competent machine shop in the southwest USA that is fully qualified to perform this upgrade?
Regards, Ibjman

How does one go about finding a cylinder head rebuilder that has the good experience to do the valve work on the 80's model airheads. And how do I go about being sure that the best seats for the job are selected.

BMW does not sell the seats do they????

Anyone know of a competent machine shop in the southwest USA that is fully qualified to perform this upgrade?
Regards, Ibjman

+1 on joining airheads mailing list.

I had Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing Garage do mine and I was very happy with the results. It's about $40 to ship them out.

FWIW I'd use someone who knows airheads as you read horror stories about the guys who used Bubba's machine shop.

Just my .02

Have a good one,
Dave

Back