• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r27 oil

rayma60927

I Bought A 61 R27 And The Owners Manuel Says To Use 90 Weight For The Transmission On One Page Then On Another Page It Says To Use 40 Weight For The Trans. Anyone Out There Know For Sure. Thanks

[mod]
I'm pretty sure you'll get a better response to this thread with it in the Vintage area rather than the Airheads.
[/mod]

My 2c on it is that in the mid 60s, BMW changed their recommendations on all bikes from using motor oil for the transmission, shaft and final drive to gear lube. This corresponded to the point where they changed the seals they were using, to be resistant to the chemistry in gear lube.

As the R27's last year was 1967, I suspect that your manual is actually from the end of the R27's era, and was incompletely updated for the change.

Consensus seems to be that you should use the 90w hypoid oil. BUT, and this is a big but, you must use the GL-4 spec... hard to find these days. The GL-5 that is readily available everywhere has stuff in it that is harmful to bronze, which is used for bushings in the older trannys.

If you need to, you can get Pennzoil GL-4 from Vech, THE guru of these vintage bikes. He will be very helpful on the phone if you want to find out more.....

Vech's parts website is here

Consensus seems to be that you should use the 90w hypoid oil. BUT, and this is a big but, you must use the GL-4 spec... hard to find these days. The GL-5 that is readily available everywhere has stuff in it that is harmful to bronze, which is used for bushings in the older trannys.

Not that hard to find if you don't mind paying for synthetic. Example:

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?productID=46

There are others available.

// marc

Back