• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Be Seen!

Paul, can you confirm that it is the tape on this link...3M 680-85...Scotchlite Black.

Alex, I can't confirm that. I told the safety supply store that I wanted 3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting - White 3930 and they cut four feet off a roll that was about 5" wide. They told me that it was 3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting - White 3930. The tape colour is silver and the back simply says 3M Relective Sheeting. It certainly is a major improvement on what GIVI supplied.

Besides the reflective tape on the bike, I have silver (white reflecting) tape down the sides of my riding suit plus a couple of wide lime green stripes on my vest. My wife used to be worried about my being seen at night until one night when she followed me on the 401. When she finally passed me, she realized that I was also very visible from the front with the triangular arrangement of lights.

Many decades ago, I spent a year working in the local hospital's ORs. I have seen what damaged riders look like. I try to avoid visiting that location, although a couple of Sunday mornings ago, I did have a van make a left turn from a side street RIGHT in front of me. Brake covering, panic braking, brake release and a last second swerve around the rear end saved my hide.

Once again Alex thank you for sharing the GIVI tip.

Alex, I can't confirm that. I told the safety supply store that I wanted 3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting - White 3930 and they cut four feet off a roll that was about 5" wide. They told me that it was 3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting - White 3930. The tape colour is silver and the back simply says 3M Relective Sheeting. It certainly is a major improvement on what GIVI supplied.

I was refering to the tape that you put on the BMW System Cases as well as the upper and lower halves of your GiVi case. Is that the stuff that is black during the day but shines white when light hits it?

I was refering to the tape that you put on the BMW System Cases as well as the upper and lower halves of your GiVi case. Is that the stuff that is black during the day but shines white when light hits it?

Yes. It is 3M tape, it is black and it shines white at night. My wife tells me that there is no mistaking me from behind at night. I do not know how much it bothers cages behind me, but at least they can see me.

I can't remember the name of the company in California that I bought the stuff from four years ago. It was precut for the Beemer cases and I bought a couple of 8"x11" sheets that I used on the GIVI top box.

where did you get the 3M reflective tape? i am having a hard time finding it locally.

I got it locally from a company that supplies those road markers that you see along the road at construction sites. You know those black 4' tube type towers with alternating orange and white rings; well those white rings are 3M High Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting. It comes in various widths; I bought some that was 24" wide. A foot ran me $10.

Try safety supply stores in your area and if you don't come up with anything, Google 3M Reflective Tape or Sheeting and mail order it.

Try Identi-Tape. They're out of Montreal, Canada which means your dollar may go further.

Here is a link to the ADVrider site with some member comments/suggestions.

Back