• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How about a comm primer?

xp8103

I guess I shouldn't be confused by it but for some reason I am. With ALL of the possible solutions maybe it's no surprise.

Some seem to allow SOME external connections, cabled? Blue tooth? Can I connect my cell phone if it's not bluetooth? My MP3 player isn't bluetooth. Do some do bike to bike without the need for extra FRS radios? Do any of them need FRS radios? If not how do you change the channel? Where do you put the radio? Am I going to have my cell phone, my mp3 player and my FRS radio in my tank bag? What about rider/passenger? Where do you mount them? PTT? VOX? Then there's the need for headsets. Some have cables for passenger and rider. Nolan N-com is blue tooth.

I have need of rider/passenger for my son and i and something for my wife and I bike-to-bike. My cell phone is blue tooth.
Is it really this complicated?

yes. :nod

i do have an autocom, but it's just for communictions with my passenger and i power it with a 9V battery because everything else requires an EE degree to put together.

everytime i go to order a new system, the details are so freakin' complex i give up.

it would be cool if some company, or someone, could put together a *simple* systems integration guide.

ian

Complicated?

Back in 1975, every time I went out to to ride my brand-new Kawasaki S-3 400 two-stroke triple, I always wondered about two things:
1. Was it going to start when I jumped on the kick starter?
2. If it started, was it going to run on all three cylinders . . . or was I going to have to go under the seat for one of the "spare" spark plugs to replace the plug that fouled?

My 13-year-old R1100RS has started every time I pushed the starter button. Doesn't really seem so complicated. Maybe we're just trying to make this motorcycle riding thing more complicated than it needs to be. :D

I too would very much appreciate a clear description of how to put together an integrated comms system as Nik requested. There are surely many forum folks that understand the black arts associated with making electrical things work. What to buy, how to install/operate and what small animals to sacrifice.

I too would very much appreciate a clear description of how to put together an integrated comms system as Nik requested. There are surely many forum folks that understand the black arts associated with making electrical things work. What to buy, how to install/operate and what small animals to sacrifice.

The problem is that there are so many choices and variables it is difficult to cover all the possibilities.

People have different wants and needs and equipment they are trying to integrate. Systems are proprietary, which makes it harder still.

Then with the continuing advancements in technology: Bluetooth etc, it is even more of a challenge.

Autocom has a good reputation. If you know what you want to do, any Autocom dealer should be able to tell you if it is possible with their equipment and what parts you need to make that happen.

I've got an Autocom system. I checked their web page to figure out what I thought I wanted (what system seemed to provide what I wanted a comm to do), then I called them.

The nice person on the phone answered the questions that I couldn't figure out from the web page, and added some information I didn't know I needed to know. Voila!

The toughest part really is figuring out WHAT bits you need. After that, installation isn't so bad.

P

BMW ON - September 2008, page 80

Been contemplating a comm system, and have the same happen... Too many choices, and more complication than I require (and the need for wires always bugged me).

Main purpose is 2-up comm, which the wife does not really want... But for the times we need to talk, I would like it.

I like the sound of the IMC Camos BTS. It's Bluetooth, so no wires. Came looking for reviews, but saw this thread before I got around to searching.

yes. :nod

i do have an autocom, but it's just for communictions with my passenger and i power it with a 9V battery because everything else requires an EE degree to put together.

everytime i go to order a new system, the details are so freakin' complex i give up.

it would be cool if some company, or someone, could put together a *simple* systems integration guide.

ian

Holy crap! If Ian is flummoxed by this, I may just give up!! :) :)

I outlined what I am looking for:
1. rider/passenger comm. Cabled is fine.
2. bike/bike comm. A cable between bikes might work but I'm not sure...:nyah

Happy with my scala

I have had my only experience this year with communicators. My wife rides her own bike 90% of the time, so I wanted something that integrates with my Zumo 550 (blue tooth) and can communicate over a reasonable distance when we are apart. So far (1 year) the Scala Q2 has worked really well. It was a cinch to set up with my GPS and we only ran out of battery juice on one day that was an exceptionally long day. Anyway, I don't know much about these things, but this works quite well. Sound is clear and volume is high enough to still allow us to communicate while wearing custom made hearing plugs. The communicator apparently can also integrate with my cell phone, but I have decided not to go there. Easy enough to stop to make a call. It also has an FM radio that I have never used. So far, I would recommend this unit and it can now apparently be ordered as a set of 2

I cannot speak to the bike to bike comm, but the rest is very simple. I have heard good things about autocom, but I have a Baehr system, which plugs right into the existing wiring under the seat of my RT. I has intercom, inputs for my GPS to talk to me, inputs for MP3 player if I desire, and an input for a cell phone if I so choose (but I do not!). The GPS input is set to interrupt voice, MP3, or cell phone with info/commands, etc. Noise levels can be attenuated. We can talk at 70 MPH. It is wonderful. :thumb

Autocom has done fine by me!

It did seem complicated. And I am a putz when it comes to doing stuff like this. I called and ordered. They asked all the right questions to ensure I bought what I needed and wanted. They then sensed my apprehension and pointed out that I could have them install at the upcoming Rally. It was worth it for me. Ended up having them set up the helmet, the Zumo, the blue tooth for phone. Now I have all that plus passenger communication and XM radio. I like it a lot!!!

I like Autocom

I too use the Autocom system but it is the "old" 7 pin Pro 7.

I try to have everything on the bike running from bike power so I have had to do a bit of troubleshooting to get everything right.

1.) If you are going to pull power for all your devices from the bike, you MUST run a noise filter in the power line. I used one of those 30 amp car stereo noise filers in the line feeding my aux fuse block and it works perfectly. I have a much more "industrial-type" filter that I will install when I get around to it, just because.

2.) Mounting the main Autocom module near the alternator will insure you will get noise (alternator whine) in both your head phones and on your transmitted signal,(if you are using a two way radio.) I am a Ham Radio guy and I like having a two way radio on the bike so I can check in with the wife, via a repeater, when out on the bike. (She's a Ham too.)

3.) There has to be some separation between your two way radio and the Autocom unit or there is a very good chance you will overload the Autocom with RF every time you transmit.

3.) The individual device line isolators work. Use them. If a particular device is giving you a problem, an individual power line filter ,along with the line isolator, will usually fix it.

I have a GPS, MP3 player, AM/FM radio, Radar Detector and Ham Radio running through the Autocom, along with the rider to passenger headsets.

As of yet, I don't want a cell phone on the bike.

Back