• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

GPS screen protective covering failure

k1300gtglenn

Blue Sky Canadian
My new this spring (1st one ever) Garmin has seemed to shed it's skin whilst in New Mexico. Really tough to read when in the daylight and I am afraid that the touch screen option will scratch it. Any comments, suggestions, advice greatfully appreciated. Short term fixes welcomed. Thanks, Glenn.

Don't know the type of GPS you have but there have been reports of screen delamination on some 2610/2720's

They are usually covered by Garmin - may want to give them a call.

Another suggestion is to get some of those clear adhesive covers for the view finder on digital cameras, they come in 2" x 2" strips so you could use a couple to cover the screen.

What Semp said, call Garmin.

It is a known problem with the 26**/27** Street Pilots. Mine did it when it was almost exactly one year old. Garmin sent me a replacement refurb unit. The new one, now 18 months old, has just developed the first small telltale blister indicating that it too will delaminate soon.

Someone sells protective film screen covers for GPS units but I don't recall where on the net I saw them. Might google GPS screen cover or some such and see what pops up.

John

My 2610 had the protective film on it and it still had the screen delamanate. Unit was almost a year old. Garmin replaced it free no questions asked.

I tried two types of aftermarket protective films on my Zumo, and threw them away. The OEM screen seems fine without extra protection and works better, because the films adversely affected the touch screen.

Fred

My new this spring (1st one ever) Garmin has seemed to shed it's skin whilst in New Mexico. Really tough to read when in the daylight and I am afraid that the touch screen option will scratch it. Any comments, suggestions, advice greatfully appreciated. Short term fixes welcomed. Thanks, Glenn.

I had the same problem with my 2610 after three years, so no warranty help. I did find a slick solution. Radio Shack sells a kit of protective film for small screens. There are 4 or 5 small screws that hold the garmin case together. Once the outer case is removed you have total access to the touch screen. It appears that the original protective film is held to the screen with a water soluble material. I soaked a Q-tip with water and gently applied it to the remaining film that was still attached to the touch screen. Once I had the screen clean (all of the old film removed), I cut the new film to size and carefully attached it to the touch screen. Then I reassembled the case and the garmin is like new. I think that the replacement film is a bit thicker than the original film but IÔÇÖve had no problem using the touch screen. I cannot detect any less sensitivity at all. IÔÇÖve been using this fix now for 8 months and have had absolutely no problem. :thumb

I had the same problem with my 2610 after three years, so no warranty help. I did find a slick solution. Radio Shack sells a kit of protective film for small screens. There are 4 or 5 small screws that hold the garmin case together. Once the outer case is removed you have total access to the touch screen. It appears that the original protective film is held to the screen with a water soluble material. I soaked a Q-tip with water and gently applied it to the remaining film that was still attached to the touch screen. Once I had the screen clean (all of the old film removed), I cut the new film to size and carefully attached it to the touch screen. Then I reassembled the case and the garmin is like new. I think that the replacement film is a bit thicker than the original film but IÔÇÖve had no problem using the touch screen. I cannot detect any less sensitivity at all. IÔÇÖve been using this fix now for 8 months and have had absolutely no problem. :thumb

I called Garmin when mine was about 3 years old and had delaminated. For $100, they sent me a brand new one, complete with new maps, mounts and other accessories.

Worth it.

I'll have to run right down to Radio Shack tomorrow and buy one of these kits for my 2610. Do you know the stock number or name of the product?

This may be the one. Catalog #: 16-253 @ Radio Shack Targus TG-RSSP Universal Screen Protectors

Back