• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Downloading your Digital Camera at the Cyber Cafe

DATA

Data Man 4 U
One of the issues with a digital camera is "running out of film" for the digital. All your storage media are filled up, you don't have a laptop with you, and you don't want to by more media on the road. What do you do then?

The Cyber Cafe will have the answer. We will have a storage card reader at the Cyber Cafe. OK, that is part of it, you can get the pictures off, how do you get them home?

Why put them on a CD of course.

We will have a CD burner there so you can download the pics, burn a CD and then take that with you. And have a clean set of storage media to take more pictures on the way home.

Never burned a CD before? (Me neither) Cheat sheets are us. We will have cheat sheets to guide you through this.

And we will be needing Cyber Guides to babysite the machines. No you don't have to be a wizard. We will have cheat sheets for as much as we can think of, and should be improving through the rally. We need people that know just a bit more than those using the Cyber Cafe.

Please stop at the volunteer location, sign up, and give us a shift or two. (2 hour shifts, with overlap, so you should not be alone)

See you in Spokane.

As an alternative, get yourself a smugmug account for $20 a year and load them up there.

Dave suggested:
As an alternative, get yourself a smugmug account for $20 a year and load them up there.
==========================

However that means they are eating up a GRUNCH of shared bandwith sending the 128MB of pics up there.

That is what we are trying to avoid.

Greetings,

This came up last weekend at our Pemi River Rally.

I was approached by someone who was looking to borrow a flash card as her card was full. She had over 80 pictures on a 128mb card.

I downloaded the contents of the card and then burned them onto a CD.

If you have a full card the fastest way to free up space is to get the pictures off the card. Having a CD burner means that the user can take the pictures home. Considering the number of pictures on a flash card and the limits of the screen on the camera having the CD gives one the opportunity to look at the pictures later rather then trying to pick the best on the spot.

Having said this I also agree that a Smug Mug account is the way to go (satisfied user myself) for sharing pictures. In addition to making a CD I plan on choosing a few of the better photos and put them up on Smug Mug so I can use them in trip reports from the road.

As always YMMV.

Thanks Brian and the rest of the Cyber Volunteers for making this available.

Best,

Back