• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Non-heated winter gloves

BillyClyde

I haven't bought winter gloves in years and thought I'd check to see if you have some positive testimonials. I have heated grips on my RT and seldom ride in temps colder than in the 40's. As for pricing, $50-$75 feels about right. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Heated gloves will keep your fingertips warm. The grips won't. If you get wet in the rain, heated gloves keep your wet hands warm. If you don't want them heated for short rides or warmer days, don't plug them in. I say "Why bother with anything else?".

robert living in a multi brand limbo, BMW, Honda and Harley.

I absolutely love my Olympia all season gloves. I lost my first pair to our dogs and just bought a new pair at the Catskill rally. They're about $70.00 and work great in the conditions you describe. They give good feel for a winter gove and are luxuriosly comfortable. I have a pair of the BMW waterproof winter gloves and while they would be better in real cold or real wet (Under 30 dry or under 45 wet. Under 30 degrees wet is not an option for me.). They are bulky and have poor feel. I"ve used the Olympias from 60 down to about 25 on my old RT with heated grips and have not been cold.

Outa your price range but I bought a pair of Lee Parks Designs deer skin insulated gloves last year. I've been pretty impressed with them so far & they're not bulky at all like most cold weather gloves so i've still got plenty of feel for the controls.

Well, I kind of like gloves and I buy different ones and use them all. On a roadtrip, on average, I will have 3 sets with me. Here are my findings:
I like the Aerostich Roper gloves, they work great with my Airhead RS, they did not work well on the Oilhead RT; must be the way they fit and have different pressure points on the throttle hand.
I like Tourmaster winter glove, they were about $30; they are cheaply made, but are waterproof and warm, for the few months that I use them worthy.
I like the Marsee 3 into 1 glove. It comes with a liner and are waterproof. They are about $75 new and a great compromise.
I love Held gloves. They are in a class by themselves. It is proof that you get what you pay for. At $175 they are expensive, but hands down feel like custom made.
I had heated Gerbing gloves at one point, but sold them. They were too bulky for my liking.
So, it depends on personal taste and fit, kind of like boots too. My food for thought anyway... Good luck in the decision making process.....

Outa your price range but I bought a pair of Lee Parks Designs deer skin insulated gloves last year. I've been pretty impressed with them so far & they're not bulky at all like most cold weather gloves so i've still got plenty of feel for the controls.

+1 So far, I've worn them in ~50 deg weather without the grip heaters and my hands have been fine.

I find that the heated grips provide plenty of warmth. The key is to find gloves that are waterproof, but still fairly lightweight. I tried some snowmobile gloves, but they were just to thick. I ended up with hunting gloves from Cabelas.

Add another vote for the Olympia gloves. Mine are waterproof and work well from about 35 to 70. I used to carry three pair - heavy, medium, light - but with these I only need the light gloves when it gets above 70 or so.

gloves

I bought a pair of Rousch ski team racing gloves. If you look around, you can get them for about 75-90 dollars. They are ski gloves. Neat thing is that they have a natural curve in the fingers. I have never been cold with them; not even skiing. They are the gaunlet style so they go over jacket's wrist band. They keep you warm. If you want to try some, just go to a ski resort's pro shop and try some of their ski gloves on.:) :)

Except for the quality, I like my BMW winter gloves. They are comfy and warm with or without heated grips, are waterproof, and have a squeegie to get the snow off your visor. I wore them regularly in the winter in Colorado on my airhead RS without heated grips. However, the liner started to come unstitched at the end of a couple of the fingers after only a season or two. Very disappointed, but I still use them regularly in the cold. One of these days I'll get around to repairing them.

I've got a variety of gloves I use. Probably the pair I wear the most are the BMW summer rainproof gloves. I live in a warmer climate and ride year round; I live across the river from Memphis, Tn. in Marion, Ar. . I mainly ride a K100RT and a R11RS with GS hand guards, both have heated hand grips. I can get away with just using the BMW summer gloves most of the year, in fact these gloves are too warm for the hottest part of the summer months. I run em at least 8 months out of the year. For the coldest part of the year I wear the BMW winter rainproof gloves and variety of summer gloves. Most of the summer leather gloves I use last about 2 years, summer sweat rots them out. I have the heated gloves that go with my heated liner and really don't use them.

As long as its dry my Held Steves are very comfortable with heated grips down to the high 30s F. Anything colder than that and I wear my Held Hawk Gore-Tex gloves which are heavily insulated winter/wet weather gloves. Like all heavily insulated gloves, they're bulky and you lose considerable feel, but they darn sure work. They've been discontinued, but Held replaced them with something very similar called the Ice Breaker (LINK) which I wouldn't hesitate to buy if that's the type of glove I was looking for. It looks like they'll cost around $130.

Granted, I'm on a 12GS so I have the hand guards protecting my fingers from wind, so on your RT it'll prabably feel colder. But I suspect something like the Steves combined with your heated grips should keep you comfortable down to at least 50 F.

Last edited:
I love the Aerostick Elkskin Ropers. I wear the uninsulated ones down to about 40 degrees or so and use my heated grips as needed. I wear the insulated ones below that and they keep me comfy down into the 20's. I can extend that by wearing their triple digit rain gloves over the ropers.

One of the things I like best about the ropers is that the elkskin seems particularly sticky so you don't have to squeeze the throttle as hard (I don't have cruise control) and my hand doesn't get fatigued as much as with other gloves.

OK, I bought some...

I went with the Olympia All Season Gloves based on the reviews here and Webbikeworld.
Very nice fit and finish. The XL fits well for me. Glove are normally a struggle for me because I have long narrow fingers. These had the length I need without the rest of my hand swimming in the glove.
They'll get a test run this weekend. I leave for the Barbersports Vintage days in Birmingham at 7 AM Sat, currently forecast at 45 degrees. The day will end up around 75 in Birmingham. That's at least two seasons of the four. I will post back.
Do have a question though. My practice for most of my leather goods is to SnoSeal them. Do any of you have an opinion about that for gloves? These do have a GoreTex liner to keep my hands dry but I did read that their weight did double after a couple of hours of rain because of the water absorbed by the leather. SnoSeal does leave a waxy feel but would do a lot to prevent the the water absorption. Thoughts?

Hi Tom:

I put SnoSeal on my Lee Parks deerskin gloves because of the absorption problem. You may know this but maybe I can save somebody else.
It's important not to get SnoSeal where you grip your visor to flip it up or the beeswax gets on the visor. I hate it when that happens!

Keep it off the fingertips?

Thanx, Mike, I hadn't thought of that. :doh
Do you recommend putting it on the backs of the gloves and maybe the palm but to keep it off the front of the fingers?

I just bought a pair of the aerostich vegan "three season" glove. they are quite toasty on my heated grips, although they do run a bit small as per the product description ( I am an XL). I have ridden in 35 to 40 degree temps comfortably.

Back