• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200rt-p Protection Bars

JVER1200RT

Hello all, I ordered a pair of front RT-P Protection Bars and when they arrived I was disappointed to find that the entire mounting sysem wasn't incuded apparently there's another bar that connects to the protection bars as well as the hardware that is used to attach the units. I was wondering if anybody out there knows anything about the RT-P protection bars in regards to the ADDITIONAL hardware required to attach the bars in place. Part numbers would be very helpful if anyone has it. Thanks!

Hello there. Yes there is additional hardware needed. There are two carrier bars that attach to the frame, on the 1200 version, that connects the two "front, outside the fairing" bars. I have a 2002 R1150RT-P with said protection bars. You might want to check out Max's BMW web site. They have the schematics and part numbers for that setup. Just go to their parts catalog online and select R1200RT. The crash bars will be located under the Frame/Fairing section as "Engine Roll Bar, Authority Vehicles" and "Rear Safety Bar" respectively. :thumb

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com

Give the parts diagram adooley pointed you to a good look, there are two high mounted protection bar "carriers", which mount to the frame/block. If you have #1 & #2 (the bars) already, you need 3,4, and just order 2 of 5-12 to make the order easy (if you want to save a few bucks stare really hard at the diagram). If memory serves me correct the mounting screws (12) are a bit longer than the standard RT due to the carriers (get the longer screws, period). Having replaced these on a RTP, you should have some sort of jack to support the block when you install them and install ONE side at a time (this is for the carriers, not 1 & 2).

Some say there are some fairing issues w/the stock RT, but visually it looks like is should be clean install to me (YMMV). If you'd like to see close in pics on a R12RTP let me know.

Last edited:
Back