• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r27

rayma60927

i am going to look at a r27 this weekend. it looks good in the pictures. they said the carb could probably use a cleaning but it runs ok and stops good. anyone out there have any suggestions on anything to look for special on this model. thanks

The troubles I've had with my R27 over the last 5 years

Kick starter binding up. Transmission jumping out of any gear when clutching out or applying torque. Tube that feeds oil to the top end on the right side of the cylinder leaking where it emerges from the cylinder base. Voltage regulator delivering charge at the high end of acceptable, cooking 4 batteries in 5 years. 3 of the 5 rubber motor mounts totally destroyed. Carburetor inlet on the bottom of the float bowl with a propensity to leak. Rubber "hardy disc" that buffers the drive line between the transmission and the drive shaft disintegrating. Otherwise a fun ride, except that it is so slow that it is dangerous to ride in modern traffic. That pretty much covers it in my experience.

Kick starter binding up. Transmission jumping out of any gear when clutching out or applying torque. Tube that feeds oil to the top end on the right side of the cylinder leaking where it emerges from the cylinder base. Voltage regulator delivering charge at the high end of acceptable, cooking 4 batteries in 5 years. 3 of the 5 rubber motor mounts totally destroyed. Carburetor inlet on the bottom of the float bowl with a propensity to leak. Rubber "hardy disc" that buffers the drive line between the transmission and the drive shaft disintegrating. Otherwise a fun ride, except that it is so slow that it is dangerous to ride in modern traffic. That pretty much covers it in my experience.

Other than that, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln? ;)

The rest of the story....

In spite of these problems, the bike has been a learning opportunity. I have to assume a completely different mind-set when riding or working on this bike as compared to later airheads.

From a purely subjective point of view, I prefer the looks of a stripped down, un-adorned motorbike. There isn't much on a BMW single that isn't fitted inside the width of the frame. For the same reason, I would prefer a Sportster over an F model if I were inclined to ride a Harley. A larger capacity fuel tank would be a must. Other bikes that conform to this aesthetic consideration would be any Japanese or British single, the Indian 4 and other variants such as the Nimbus and the Sunbeam S-7, even the Yamaha Virago casts a narrow profile when viewed from front on. Conversly, the 6 cylinder Honda CBX is hideous.

Now then, to stop this hijack in it's infancy, here are some other things for rayma60927 to consider.
1) The Everbest petcock is a leaker in waiting, My R27 was already fitted with a Karcoma when I got it.
2) All the rubber parts are by now very old unless they have been replaced. Same with the control cables.
3) I suspect that most older bikes are under serviced with respect to grease at the steering head and swing arm pivots, including the swingarm on the Earles fork.

Back