• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Best intercom system between bikes

Rtbluestreak

Have a general question in regards to helmet communcation systems. My wife says I don't always see her signals when it's time to rest or whatever so we are thinking about communication systems for our helmets. I have a flip-up and she wears a full-face. We aren't looking for anything fancy such as blue-tooth or xm radio capability unless there is a good system at a reasonable price. Any information would be most helpful so we could have a system in place for next year's riding season. I know there are alot of different systems out there so we would appreciate any and all help.

Have a general question in regards to helmet communcation systems. My wife says I don't always see her signals when it's time to rest or whatever so we are thinking about communication systems for our helmets. I have a flip-up and she wears a full-face. We aren't looking for anything fancy such as blue-tooth or xm radio capability unless there is a good system at a reasonable price. Any information would be most helpful so we could have a system in place for next year's riding season. I know there are alot of different systems out there so we would appreciate any and all help.

Like Gail said, search the threads here.

My wife and I use Autocom with Kenwood GMRS radios using seperate Antenex antennas mounted on the back. They work great. I would highly recommend a system that works on VOX.
You need to define reasonable. When searching for a system, you will discover a common thread, cheap is cheap and most of the systems people highly recommend are going to be in the $4-500 range per bike for a complete BTB system.

The Autocom works great. They sell a modified Kenwood (Their style: AT2) which can be powered by the bike so it never needs charging. In addition they sell an optional blade antenna which can mount internally or under the trunk rack out of sight.

All of it is very pricey, but works great and super clear. Everything you need two of so you're looking at about $700 per bike. Expensive, but it will completely change they way you both ride. Being able to communicate saves a ton of time and makes for a more enjoyable ride.

Below is a ball park look at the components needed.

Base unit $140
Kenwood AT2 $300
Powered back for the Kenwood $60
Earphones and mike $90
Plus some inner connects and cable to helmet $100

My K12LT has an Autocomm unit that gives me intercomm and a variety of other options; it also connects to a Kenwood FRS/GMRS unit.

But I ride with some friends and for bike-to-bike, I reach out to them from my rig to them while they're using Motorola Talkabouts (about $70/pair) connected to Motocomm harnesses (about $60 each). Seems to me that for $180, you could have good comms.

(In fact, I've invested in just such a package so when I go to ride with my son and son-in-law on their HDs we can talk without any violation of their pristine HDs).

A couple Motorola rechargable radios from radio shack - 69.00
the earpiece with mike from bass pro shop - 50.00

Works great. The PTT botton is made for use with gloves so no problem. I don't usually use it on VOX because I like to sing with the radio and it drives my wife nuts. I used velcro for the mike inside my helmet and the earpiece stays in place just fine for putting helmet on. I usually have my IPOD earpiece in the other ear. I will someday buy a fancy autocom system but 700 bucks is crazy, That is 700 bucks I could spent on a bigger set of luggage for the RT since the tiny BMW system cases suck so bad.

Kelly

The Autocom works great. They sell a modified Kenwood (Their style: AT2) which can be powered by the bike so it never needs charging. In addition they sell an optional blade antenna which can mount internally or under the trunk rack out of sight.

All of it is very pricey, but works great and super clear. Everything you need two of so you're looking at about $700 per bike. Expensive, but it will completely change they way you both ride. Being able to communicate saves a ton of time and makes for a more enjoyable ride.

Below is a ball park look at the components needed.

Base unit $140
Kenwood AT2 $300
Powered back for the Kenwood $60
Earphones and mike $90
Plus some inner connects and cable to helmet $100

Got a very similar system, Super AVI with the AT2, when you get the Autocom it comes with speaker and mic, it also has a Background noise detector whcih works very well.

Note you need to have an autocom on each bike

You have to get use the vox delay about a second or two but other than that very happy.

By using the power pack we leave the AT2's mounted on the bikes.

Pricy but effective.

Back