• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heated Gloves

follow-up -

The XXL G3s fit fine. Like I said, normally I'm a L/XL so one needs to size up - especially considering that the wires are painful if the glove is tight. I used them today on a 35 degree day and with silk liners. Behind the handguards I didn't need to turn them on. However, for grins I did. They don't get hot - just a little warm. It's pretty subtle. The girl at Bob's, where I got them, told me I would likely need a thermostat to keep my hands from getting too hot. I don't think that's a possibility even on a warm day. They are a little bulky, but they will probably loosen up and get more flexible with use. They are winter gloves, so one needs to keep that in mind. I'll always take them along on cool/cold rides, but I think I'll find some nice, non heated, winter gloves that offer better feel. There's just so much you can do to a glove that has wires running through them. Another reason for regular gloves - it's a pita dealing with all the plugs. If my hands were freezing that would be okay, but as is, I'll start with the simplicity of regular gloves and change up if I need to.

I have 6 weeks of use on my G3's, they are getting better with age. I too felt they were tight the first few times wearing them, but as with any good leather they form to your hands pretty quick. The need for a thermostat is more for my jacket then the gloves. I also noticed the gloves do not get hot on high, but after riding 80 MPH in 25 degree temperatures without hand guards, my hand were nice and toasty and most importantly, I never thought about them. The jacket can be too hot at times so the thermostat is nice for that. I ride all year in Upstate NY so these gloves are a must.

I have heated grips as well, the G3's have just the right amount of leather and gel in the palms and fingers to allow the heat from the grips to warm your hands for those really bone cold days.

Has anyone made their own heated pants? I was thinking of doing this to my zip out insulated liner for my pants. Thought this would be a good project and being that it's not a critical as my jacket or gloves...why not?

I find the heated grips are good down to about 40 degrees below that I slip into my gerbings heated jacket liner and the G-3 gloves plug into the end of the cuffs. I use a dual controller so I can adjust the temp of the jacket liner and gloves seperately. I've been comforatable at highway speeds with the temperature in the teens.

Does anyone have any recommendations for hand gards? I rode today in 29 degree weather and was pretty much fine with a liner pair under my normal riding gloves. But I have about a 50 mile ride, so the tips of my fingers, especially my pinkies get a wee bit chilly. Might be ok with something to deflect the wind though (other than the big honking Vetter I have).

The bike is an '83 R100, so I'm not quite sure which hand guards to fit.

Follow up part 2 - Rode in 15 degree weather today with G3s on. I was fine for about 50 miles, but then my thumbs froze. I have to say I'm dissapointed. I'm born and raised in Wisconsin. I know cold weather, how to dress, and I also know what to expect. Yes - I know 15 degrees is cold but I had hoped that heated gloves would generate...well...heat! Even when its cold! The G3s barely get warm - ever. Frankly, I would have been almost as well off with some good quality winter gloves. The G3s just don't pump out enough heat for a truly cold day. I'm sure thay are great on a 30 degree day, but I expected more.

FYI - I have good circulation, rarely get cold hands, hand guards, and my bike is in good working order with new sla battery.

Back