• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heated Gloves

RJM2096

I am really coming around to appreciating my Gerbing Gloves.

On my HD I have heated grips. While my palms are hot my nuckles are freezing. My BMW did not have heated grips so I bought a pair of Gerbing heated gloves. They make the morning ride great. I am determine to ride as long as the roads are not icy.

Do you prefer the Heated Grips or Heated Gloves? :blush

ColdOne.jpg

Last edited:
I like the heated grips, especially for those times when it is cool but not downright cold. I wear heated gloves (with the heated grips) when the temperature drops into the low 20s or below, or when I'm spending long hours with temps in the 30s. Why either/or? Every little bit helps. ;)

I like the heated grips, especially for those times when it is cool but not downright cold. I wear heated gloves (with the heated grips) when the temperature drops into the low 20s or below, or when I'm spending long hours with temps in the 30s. Why either/or? Every little bit helps. ;)

+1...what he said :thumb

I also use both. I don't like using the gerbing heated gloves unless its very cold because they are very bulky.

Niko

I have a pair of heated gloves. I hate them, too bulky. I've been wanting to try a pair of heated glove liners. Will probably do so as the weather gets a little colder.

I have a pair of Gerbings heated gloves. I wear them in only the coldest situations because of the bulk. I have a pair of BMW winter gloves and I wear a pair of silk liners under them and can ride easily into the 20's.

Gerbing G3 gloves

Try on the new G3 heated gloves from Gerbing. My wife just bought a pair, they were designed around all the faults of the classic Gerbings. Not bulky at all, fit just like a pair of high quality cold riding gloves.

I believe it makes a huge difference what type of bike you have and how long you ride. Case and point on my Oilhead RT I used the heated grips with heated gloves when it got cold. On my Airhead RS I use neither, but that is because my hands are behind the fairing and under total wind protection. You would think that the RT has better wind protection, but not so at all. I do use silk liners in the winter.

Blocking the wind / containing the heat from whatever source seems to make a big difference. I bought the Gerbing G3's to use on the Dakar, I think I only used them once since putting the handguard extensions on. Using both sucks up twice the juice, I had to consider other draws ie. driving lights, Gerbing Jacket. Here's the question I haven't been able to answer. If you use an insulated/winter glove and add a liner to contain the heat (again from whatever source, G3's are insulated too), doesn't that insulation work both ways? Aren't you insulating yourself from your heated grip? I think those half sleeve cover things that slide over the end of the handlebars would add some wind/water protection and contain some heat from both heated grips and heated gloves. Haven't had the need to buy them yet, probably easiest to find from snowmobile distributors.

The classic gerbings work very well in keeping ones hands warm, its just that they are very bulky. I don't use heat in the grips nor do I use any liners when I have the gerbings on. I have worn the gloves on down to the mid 20s and they were fine. I have to try their new g3 gloves. This is all on an R1150RT.

I have both. If I could only have one it would be heated gloves as they definitely work better in cold weather. For me, the heated grips work OK in cool weather, but not shen it's cold.

YMMV, of course. I have riding buddies who wear thin gloves until it's down into the 40's. The same guys can ride in 40 degree weather with an unlined Darien jacket. These are usually beefy types, of course. I'm not so hardy, and my hands get cold easily.

As long as we're talking about heated gloves, can someone clear something up for me? Do all the gloves need the heated jacket as well to complete the circut? My Tourmaster stuff keeps the rest of me just toasty on my R11RT, but my hands freeze below about 36deg. I really don't like the thought of the battery operated gloves with a D cell on the back of your hand. I would love a pair of the heated liners just by themselves with a reostat in the tank bag.
Jay

Why are you worrying about gloves?

Concerning that picture - I think gloves should be your last thought not your first. I would suggest blow torch or moving south. :D

I have the Gerbings jacket I wear under my leathers in the winter. I also have heated grips and use snow mobile gloves. I have found that the grips really don't do much for the outside of your hands, so a wind break would be best. If that doesn't cut the cold enough then invest in the gloves. Friends of mine use only the electric gloves and look like the Michelin man with out heated clothing. But it works for them.

As long as we're talking about heated gloves, can someone clear something up for me? Do all the gloves need the heated jacket as well to complete the circut?

Good question. I wear my heated vest much more than my heated gloves, but looking at the wiring for my Widder gloves they need the vest. Or, I could run the gloves by themselves using the vest wiring without the vest.

When I ordered the gloves, the Widder guy asked all sorts of questions about how I was going to operate the gloves so that he could send me the wiring I needed. I'm sure he could send you the wiring for using the gloves without a heated vest or liner.

G3 wiring

My G3's came with a cord to be used without the jacket. The cord is split so you can run it down your sleeves to the gloves. I bought the dual controller, the jacket and gloves can be controlled separately. Behind the hand guards, the gloves are enough but I can always turn them up.:blah

I received my Gerbings G3s and was a little dissapointed at how bulky they are. They are also tight which is strange considering they are XLs - my size usually. I can feel the wires on the back of my hands and they will definitely hurt before long. I'lll send them back and get XXLs. Hope that solves the fit issue, but the bulk will remain. I will say I have little experience with winter riding gloves. Maybe the G3s are slim compared to others. Can't imagine that.

follow-up -

The XXL G3s fit fine. Like I said, normally I'm a L/XL so one needs to size up - especially considering that the wires are painful if the glove is tight. I used them today on a 35 degree day and with silk liners. Behind the handguards I didn't need to turn them on. However, for grins I did. They don't get hot - just a little warm. It's pretty subtle. The girl at Bob's, where I got them, told me I would likely need a thermostat to keep my hands from getting too hot. I don't think that's a possibility even on a warm day. They are a little bulky, but they will probably loosen up and get more flexible with use. They are winter gloves, so one needs to keep that in mind. I'll always take them along on cool/cold rides, but I think I'll find some nice, non heated, winter gloves that offer better feel. There's just so much you can do to a glove that has wires running through them. Another reason for regular gloves - it's a pita dealing with all the plugs. If my hands were freezing that would be okay, but as is, I'll start with the simplicity of regular gloves and change up if I need to.

Back