• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Aerostich Darien Hi-Viz VS. Olympia AST Hi-Viz

Supersig357

I've been wanting a new jacket to augment my Roadcrafter. I had pretty much decided on the Darien, and lo and behold, Mrs. Supersig bought it for me for my birthday. Unfortunately, she didn't account for my undying devotion to all things Hi-Viz yellow, and the jacket arrived in red. I love my wife, but I don't do red. So, the jacket is off to Aerostich to be replaced with the new Higher Hi-Viz Darien.

I think you know the rest.

I'm surfing Advrider, and I see the new Hi-Viz is recalled and the old Hi-Viz is back (only possibly more school busy). Now, I'm currently riding with a "old old" Hi-Viz Roadcrafter. It's a light yellow with a somewhat Pollack-esqe patina of road grime and bug guts. It's no longer really Hi-Viz, but it isn't black leather either.

So, I'm pissed. Without stumbling into the info, my Darien would have showed up in "old" style when Daddy was expecting new pimping neon Hi-Viz.

My boss has an Olympia jacket which burns out my retinas each time I ride with him. So, I start thinking an Olympia AST would look good on me. I tried one on, and it was bulky, but comfy. I've deduced the following:

Darien Pros-

Bulletproof
Durable
Proven

Darien Cons-

School Bus (WTF?)
Expensive

Olympia AST Pros-

Holy shniky! It's bright!
Holy weiner schnitzel, it's cheap

Olympia AST Cons-

Could this thing have more zippers and snaps?

What am I missing? :usa

No, I think you got it. I have had Roadcrafters, Darien's, and the Olympia AST. I sold the Olympia AST. It is too complicated for me. The vents are a PTA, when they are open, you get wet, the breast pocket vents are dumb and the thing about it, it does not cool you as good as the Aerostich brands. I sold it. My brother likes his okay, but he does not put the liner in it, he wears it as seperate jacket. I have read on webbikeworld that they are still wondering why other manufactures are not copying the underarm and rear vents of Aerostich, because they just simply work. I still have the new lime/Hi-viz and spray it with the UV Tech. It is not looking too bad, but I have only had it since July of this year. I am keeping it, (at least for now) since I have 2 years to return it. Since I have had them all, my pick is the Roadcrafter, then the Darien, then all the rest. I would consider the Belstaff Mecury in yellow. Bang for the buck, totally waterproof. You can tell that I don't like to get wet or carrya rainsuit. My food for thought anyway... :eat :drink

I ride in rush hour commuting and use the Olympia Hi Viz Airglide 2 in the spring, summer, and fall. In the winter, I use leather's with Gerbings and the Olympia Hi Viz vest. Here are some of my observations.

Traffic sees you! End of story. I can not tell you how many times each day when traveling the secondary roads to get to the highway the drivers that race to an intersection, almost stop, do the cursory look around, start to drive and then SLAM on their breaks because the HI Viz registered in their pea brains.

On the highway, be it good or bad, many drivers think you are an emergency vehicle and get out of your way or stare at you when they go by. They do not forget you once they are past.

Bees like the yellow/green jacket - watch out at road side rests that have planted flowers. SERIOUSLY - at first it was funny. :hungover

Cops also see you more quickly.

The only problem I had with the Olympia was keeping it clean. I wrote to them and they responded immediately. I can only think that they will do the same if there was an issue.

Best of luck with your choice - I bought Olympia just because it is so VERY VERY LOUD. :rocker

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the removable liner is a water proof insulator. It really works and if you are riding through a quick shower without, you dry off very quickly. I have not been disappointed. If there is a negative to the outfit, too much hook&loop stuff - but I will replace that when the time comes.

Aerostich Hi-Viz vs. Olympia AST

I have a new Hi-Viz Aerostich one piece with black ballistics, an old color Darien Hi-Viz and an Olympia AST in Hi-Viz. Thoughts:

The A/S one piece really stands out, is easy to put on and is effective but the sleeves are a bit tight when you have a liner in. You really can take it off in 10 seconds. Difficult to store especially with the back pad in. Have been accused of being a crossing guard. Not convenient to remove in a restaurant when people are watching as you need lots of room and a wall or able to lean against. (I am 66) Does feel good on the road though. Unless it really fades, I won't be sending it back.

The old Darien is great up to about 85 degrees F, plenty of room for a Kanetsu liner. VERY waterproof. Lots of easily accessible pockets on the outside. Roadcrafters have a lining while the Darien does not. Thus Darien better for hot weather. Has become and old friend.

The AST is new, stiffer than the Stiches but the liner fits well and looks good when worn as a jacket. The vents in the sleeves can be opened when riding but it is easier when stopped. Aerostich uses much better quality Velcro than Olympia. Biggest problem is the Chinese Velcro on the pockets is so stiff it scratches the back of the hand when you reach into the pockets. The zipper pockets work better. Collar is not as comfortable as either Stich. The front has a zipper (or two with the liner in) and two sets of snaps so is slower to close than the Stiches. Have not worn it in the rain yet so don't know how waterproof. Chest vents seem to leak some air in when cold even when closed.

All three really show the dirt. I use spray auto upholstery cleaner to take spots off. I really like the zipper pockets on the Stiches to store keys and ear plugs. The Stiches have better quality armor than the Olympia. As to color, remember that red looks black at night. The Stiches have more and better reflective panels than the AST. Also like the little loop on the collar of the Stiches to keep the Velcro flap from blowing around when not fastened. Also like to buy American and love Aerostich service.

Have a Stich, but went with Olympia this spring. No problems at all with the jacket or the liner. Liner looks good when worn without jacket. Liner is great as a wind breaker and rain shield. Nothing but compliments when wearing the jacket...folks appreciate being given a chance to see you. I swear I deserve an insurance break more for this bright jacket than for ERC or ABS, or.....

Here's the gospel on this type of clothing:
1. Nikwax is your friend for washing dirty gear. Always use it liberally when washing.
2. Scotchguard is your friend applied to new garments. I used an entire spray can on the Olympia when I bought it, and made it through the summer without looking too much like a street person. I used it with the main intent of warding off dirt, not water. Works for both.

Last edited:
I ride in rush hour commuting and use the Olympia Hi Viz Airglide 2 in the spring, summer, and fall. In the winter, I use leather's with Gerbings and the Olympia Hi Viz vest. Here are some of my observations.

Traffic sees you! End of story. I can not tell you how many times each day when traveling the secondary roads to get to the highway the drivers that race to an intersection, almost stop, do the cursory look around, start to drive and then SLAM on their breaks because the HI Viz registered in their pea brains.

On the highway, be it good or bad, many drivers think you are an emergency vehicle and get out of your way or stare at you when they go by. They do not forget you once they are past.

The only problem I had with the Olympia was keeping it clean. I wrote to them and they responded immediately. I can only think that they will do the same if there was an issue.

Best of luck with your choice - I bought Olympia just because it is so VERY VERY LOUD. :rocker

+1 on the visbility aspect, I have seen it personally in just one weeks usage, maybe it is the glaringly bright color but i clearly provide a better presentation for the cage traffic - good thing.

Noted that Olympia responded qucikly on how to keep the jacket clean - can you share.

Thanks

I ordered a yellow KJ last year and canceled it for the hi-viz yellow Olympia AST. I also wear a yellow helmet. Geeky, for sure, but hard to ignore. In that year, I haven't had a cage encounter that made me take "serious" evasive moves. Those who are actually *looking* see me.

The ones who didn't see me were: texting, sipping a latte or screaming at the kids. They weren't looking in the first place. I could have been a Chernobyl meltdown for all the attention they paid.

The owner of my company wears a yellow AST, a white helmet, and rides a blue V-Strom. He thinks drivers take a quick look and assume he's a cop. What could be better?

Back