• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ball Bearing Found

S

SgtG

Help!
While changing oil filter in my 1983 R 100 RT { purchased January 2004 } found a ball bearing in the oil filter compartment.
This bearing is approximately 9/32nds " diameter and does not show any scoring, scratches or blemishes of any kind.
Since bought in January have not yet ridden; when purchased engine ran fine with no { noticed } unusual noises, vibrations,etc.
Does anyone have an idea where this could have come from?

ok this is one thread that i will watch to see if anyone says, 'they all do that until they get 10k miles on them. :D

Ball bearing in oil filter compartment

That's a new one on me. I've owned plenty of airheads and never encountered anything other than a filter in my bikes' oil filter holder. I can't think of any reason for anything like that to be there. Is the bike running O.K.? Was it making expensive sounds? Did you re-fill it with oil and take a short drive? Try not to worry about it if the bike seems to be healthy, until you find another ball bearing loose inside.

This is my 2nd BMW { /7 } and suprised me too; it initially looked like an air bubble in the chamber.
I also dropped the oil pan to check out and except for some sludge everything looked OK.
In reply to me noticing anything { noises, vibration, etc. } that is a negative; everything sounded fine.
Bike has all fresh fluids and as soon as battery charges up will start up and see what happens.

Good luck and don't worry. Ya gotta figure it WAS in there when you pulled the filter out and the bike was running up until then. I am assuming you didn't just buy it without hearing it run or riding it.

There aren't many ball bearings in the airhead engine, I think the only non-plain bearing is on the front end of the crankshaft. IIRC from the last timing chain I R&R'ed 9/32" sounds about right, but I didn't actually measure and they are caged up tight.

On the other hand, is there a check valve in the oil cooler assembly that might have self-destructed?

Steve

The oil cooler thing seems plausible. I have no experience with oil coolers. They circulate from the oil filter cover, don't they?

If there is an oil cooler the oil filter will have a cover with two hoses on it that goto the cooler. If memory serves me right there is a thermostat in the oil filter cover. The tool kit for my 82 R100RT came with a bolt that was to be inserted into the oil filter cover when changing oil. The purpose of which was to get all of the oil out of the cooler.

Ball Answer!

I also had the same problem, luck was with me as I was at a National Rally getting my oil changed when they found the ball. It is from the back of the oil filter cavity when looking in the hole. It is part of the pressure relief valve including a spring and a screw plug with a hole in it.

What you should see when look in the back of the filter chamber is the screw plug threaded in to the wall of the engine block with the ball in the centre.

The fix is not easy. You have to put the spring in first then the ball on top of the spring end and then the treaded plug has to be screwed in seating the ball and spring. It is best to use a thread locking compound on the plug so it won't come out again. Be careful not to get the compound on the ball and spring!

This fix is easier if the bike is laying on it's left side so you can let the parts rest by gravity.

Good Luck!!

I think Darryl wins the prize. :clap I have never noticed this relief valve before.

Mick

Attachments

• oil_pressure_relief.jpg
    oil_pressure_relief.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 150
Ball Bearing

Thanks Darryl { and others for your input } for the answer; I was leaning toward bearing was some part of the oil filter compartment or the practical joke end.
I did put on about 15 miles yesterday and did not notice any ill effects.
I imagine the previous owner had found the spring and locking nut at some time and removed because they were not in the filter compartment when I found the bearing.
I am going to ride bike { mostley commuting } as is until I can pick up spring and nut and install.

After my last posting was wondering why there is a presure relief valve in filter compartment and possible effects of not having it operational.
Right now I surmise it is there to allow a path for oil in the event that the oil filter becomes plugged.
Is this a correct assumption?

I am wondering what happens to the other parts if you find the ball bearing in the filter. At some point, some one must have found the cap screw and spring. Are the /6 and /5 similar? I've been riding airheads since 1987 and this is the first I've heard of this kind of thing.
Riding and learning.

Ball Answer

I am not an expert but I would hazard a guess that riding with the pressure relief valve not working would be OK for short term in a emergency but it means that your oil filter is not catching any of the contaminate material in the engine. I would get it fixed as soon as posible!

Originally posted by kioolt ... a bolt that was to be inserted into the oil filter cover when changing oil. The purpose of which was to get all of the oil out of the cooler.

More importantly, the purpose is to get oil back into the cooler after the oil change. Run the bike for a few seconds with the screw inserted to do that. Otherwise, it's about like an embolism, i.e. thermostat opens and oil is pumped to an empty cavity, temporarily sending oil pressure to zero.

Back