• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Morning Reads: 6 October 2008

mika

Still Wondering
Simo Kirssi gets the first title for the BMW G 450 X

Kirssi Simo is the new champion of the German Cross Country Championship (GCC) in the professional class XCPro. When the final run in the GCC Schefflenz won the Finnish BMW factory driver one day after its 29th Birthday extremely low on the track a grand victory and the title for the team of BMW Motorsport motorcycle. For the success of the Belgians completed Wei?ƒblauen Jeff goblet, in Schefflenz was third, and the young German Bert Meyer in the finals only on the 9th Square landed, but so are the third place in the championship secured.

387643548_aTLZF-M.jpg

The Le Mans start this time belonged Simo Kirssi alone. Directly behind him was his toughest rival in the championship, the French super star cross-Cyrille Coulon, the race, followed by Bert Meyer. In this sequence set the leading quickly from the rest of the field, and Meyer also brought much distance between himself and his pursuers.
Coulon did in the first round much pressure and could ultimately Kirssi pass. The Finn then left him the leadership job, but always remained like a shadow on strike distance. After about half of the race over Simo after the tank stopped again the leadership ..

After a distraction from Kirssi Coulon could again put at the top. The "Flying Finn" countered, however, continued its pressure on the French and took over after a driver of the Yamaha pilots back to Pace. The duo went over the entire distance downright in a separate class. The last 20 minutes belonged exclusively to the BMW Star, which is clear from his counterparts and finally was able to sell under the jubilation of his fan community went into the goal.

Bert Meyer, about half of the race to safely ranked third place, lost due to technical problems his podium place. He had several times in the box in which the mechanic a good job and delivers targeted with hand grips could fix the problem. The young driver was the race finally successfully quit.

Jeff Goblet drove a smooth race for him in this unusual sport and could - after Meyer had fallen behind - the ungef?ñhrdeten third place on the podium secure.
The Cross Country Series XCC now has only one date this year, which is in the Austrian Mattighofen for the European title goes. There are on 18 October is the strongest driver from Germany, Austria, Italy and the Czech Republic against each other.

Simo Kirssi: "I could start at the Holeshot pick. And then ran it only once actually quite calm. Although I wanted to start a little more pressure. It was very slimy and, therefore, I not quite as desired. I had then gone Coulon, which drove directly behind me. In hindsight view, was correct. We then drove together and had us together through the ?£berrundeten fight. Coulon this time was a little faster, sometimes I do. When refueling made our team a great job. We were faster, and I went back out to be the first. But Cyrille was directly behind me. Then we have three rounds, where many right gas. In a curve, I was not aggressive enough because he was able to pull back. Then we both turned even more. I then I just viewed the lines, which drove Cyrille. Then I have a draufgelegt times. Coulon was then no longer oppose. I am obviously on the huge victory and the title and I thank all who have helped me - the whole team, especially my brother and mechanic Juho. It was a great collaboration and mood in the team. "

Slide Show

Happy Birthday

US Forest Service: Fall color guide

urbanext.uiuc.edu: The Miracle of Fall ÔÇô About Fall Color

237640205_QxcZ4-M.jpg

Another BMW is a winner this weekend and the owner is a fellow member!
BMW MOA/FORUM: My airhead won a blue ribbon today!
Nice bike!

solomot30.com: Yamaha Majesty Sport for 2009

And the beat goes on
motorevue.fr: BMW K1300R

solomoto30.com: Imminent BMW K1300S 2009

sportrider.com: BMW S1000RR Superbike - No More Excuses Or Fallbacks-BMW Is Dead Serious About Superbikes This Time

canada.com/edmontonjournal: MotorcyclingÔÇÖs SUV has arrived

dealernews.com: JapanÔÇÖs big four cut U.S. shipments 27%

dealernes.com: Sturgis seeks dealer distributor.
Despite the rally no dealers in Sturgis

Turn up or down the sound depending on your taste and get a glimpse of the man behind Zero Engineering and its special style of customs
southsiders-mc.com: Shinya Kimura interview

Vintagenet.com takes a couple looks at NSU
The Blue Box
Super-Secret NSU collection spy photos

[url= http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/10/04/harley-davidson-vr1000-street-version-for-sale/]thekneeslider.com
: Harley Davidson VR1000 street version for sale

Why?
coroflot.com: Concept Bulle VRod 4V

Why not?
motojournal.com: KTM RC8 Kompresor

Vespas are more powerful than most of us think.
piaggiogroup.com: +81.1% growth in vehicle sales in the USA from January to August

This is sort of a ÔÇÿman bits dogÔÇÖ video from an old Top Gear show.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vggE9hhutq8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vggE9hhutq8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

239852433_N2pgd-M.jpg

MotoGP is headed to a single supplier for tires. The process that took it their may be suspect, but for the fan this is good. It eliminates one of the last non rider, non marque issues from the racing equation. It levels the playing field in so many ways. For the fan this should mean closer racing that means something down through the field and more passing, if that is possible.
hellforleathermagazine.com: Michelin quits MotoGP; Bridgestone becomes single tire supplier

crash.net: Kubica ready for last chance to challenge

planet-f1.com: BMW aim to make up for lost ground

f1-live.com: [Peter] Sauber urges caution on F1 night races

Last week Ferrari President Luca Montezmolo said he was embarrassed by Singapore, now it is Bernie EcclestoneÔÇÖs turn.
[http://www.f1complete.com/content/view/10533/900/]f1complete.com[/url]: Ferrari are the clowns in the circuits

240145212_YH7KT-M.jpg

bmwblog.com: Review - BMW 730d

bmwblog.com: Is the BMW X6 excessive and expensive?

aotoreader.net: Alfa at the Paris motor show 2008

classicrallies.com: Lola Cars 50th Anniversary in 2008, Golden Parade

egmcartech.com: MINI crossover concept

leftlanenews.com: Ferrari boss says sedan out of the question

motorauthority.com: Rolls Royce plans to hire 200 additional staff for RR4 saloon

autobloggreen.com: 10th Petit Le Mans is over, the fridst green Challenge winner is

nytimes.com: Capitalism to the rescue.

238372499_822h9-M.jpg

worldofbmw.com: EBMWR08 Spanish success!

bmwmotorrad.co.za: Riding around Australia on a R850C

MINI USA TAKES VEHICLE CUSTOMIZATION TO NEW HEIGHTS WITH ANNOUNCEMENT OF PARTNERSHIP WITH ORIGINAL WRAPS, INC.
10/02/2008

New Web Portal Allows MINI Enthusiasts to Choose or Create Own Interior and Exterior Vinyl Graphics for Unparalleled Level of Personalization
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - October 2, 2008... MINI USA -- automaker of the iconic and uniquely individualizable line of passenger cars that made small cars cool -- announced today a partnership with Lakewood, Colorado-based Original Wraps, Inc., a leading provider of on-demand and physical personalization. The partnership provides MINI enthusiasts the availability of interior/exterior graphics and complete personalization of their vehicles through a new Web portal - www.MINImotoringgraphics.com., which is currently live.

"We are delighted to have partnered with Original Wraps, a true leader in the vehicle customization industry," said Jim McDowell, Vice President of MINI USA. "Individualism has always been an important aspect of MINI, which our customers love, and this new partnership enhances the level of personalization we can provide. This gives MINI enthusiasts a nearly limitless palette to express their personalities."

The MINI Motoring Graphics are available for every year and model of MINI since 2002. Customers can choose from vinyl graphics ranging from original art, national flags and thousands more. In addition, users can even upload their own photos and images, or download templates to create their own designs, with Original Wraps manufacturing the custom graphics. The wrap itself is made from a professional-grade 3M vinyl, which is printed via a proprietary process that ensures detailed and premium images. The wrap is then coated with a glossy, 3M laminated finish and custom cut, which allows for a perfect fit for each MINI.

"MINI owners are already personalizing their vehicles in one way or another, but there hasn't been a reliable one stop shop with unique designs, until now. Partnered with MINI, we have created a comprehensive MINI personalization portal that will get every MINI driver's imagination flowing," said Tom Stemple, Chief Executive Officer and founder of Original Wraps. "MINI Motoring Graphics allows MINI owners multiple ways to personalize their MINIs, including the ability to display their own pictures and artwork on the vehicle."

MINI Motoring Graphics are made with the highest quality 3M vinyl and come with a performance warranty. Some of the graphics can be applied by customers, but professional installers are recommended for many of the graphics. The graphics can easily be removed without damaging the surface of the vehicle. This allows customers the ability to personalize their MINIs as often as they choose at a low cost.

The cost of each graphic ranges from $9.99 to $349.00 and can be purchased at www.MINIMotoringGraphics.com or any local MINI dealer. The wraps can be shipped direct to the consumer or to a MINI dealer, and usually arrive within days.

237925770_HoJge-XL.jpg

Stuff

sportrider.com: Urban Guerrilla ÔÇô Motorcycle riding tips for in the city

motoring.co.za: Iceland chosen for ÔÇÿtrip of lifetimeÔÇÖ book No. 2

In a related thread ÔÇô Iceland ÔÇô non ride report

wheels.ca: TimeÔÇÖs up on street racing law

hemmings.com: Car ads from 1972

motorauthority.com: MichelinÔÇÖs active wheel technology in detail

reurters.com: Peru studies climate riddle as the world heats up

nytimes.com: Fry Baby Fry

Spiegel.de: How many died in the bombing of Dresden?

Spiegel.de: German towns saying ÔÇÿNeinÔÇÖ to Google ÔÇ£Street ViewÔÇÖ

182526939_JkRJz-Ti.jpg

Packers Blog ÔÇô jsonline.com
Packers.com ÔÇô News from the football shrine
Green Bay Post Gazette: Packer News, Commentary

Offical site of the Premier League

GasBuddy.com has gas temperature maps intended to let you see what gas prices are around the US and Canada. Areas are color coded according to the reported local average price for regular unleaded gasoline.
US
Canada

Bike Candy

A championship high.

387652087_fDA24-L.jpg

THE END

Earlier in the year BMW secured the GNCC team of Scott Summers. Has anyone heard if the team has switched to BMW blue and white from Husky Red?

Earlier in the year BMW secured the GNCC team of Scott Summers. Has anyone heard if the team has switched to BMW blue and white from Husky Red?

it will no doubt be next year at this point... i believe there is a shortfall of american green. :p

BMW NA is the importer for Husky and has a vested interest in expanding the brands base here.

visordown.com is showing pictures of the new K1300GT. Other sites are showing a variety of K1300 models. I will have them up when the embargo is up.

I believe it is segment within BMW NA ( which I may incorrectly be using as interchangeable with BMW Group NA and BMW (US) Holding Corp), and I could be completely wrong everything. Would not be the first time for that.

Here is how they describe themselves in their press releases:
Husqvarna Motorcycles NA, LLC
Husqvarna Motorcycles NA, LLC is part of BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group's sales headquarters for North, Central and South America, which is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey. Husqvarna

At the time of the purchase BMW stated that Husqvarna would be run as its own brand. August 7 the new Husqvarna headquarters had its ground breaking. From all of this I deduced that Husqvarna USA was a group within BMW NA.

TheBMW Group site does not address Husqvarna at all yet from what I can see.

I think the bike on the right was a BMW R one of the three that were missed

nice jump..

Last edited:
I don't know, I have looked at it several times for a BMW and don't see it.

Paul brings up an interesting point, here we have BMW funding Scott and he is riding a Husky. I wonder if there was a contract issue here or a missed marketing opportunity by Motorrad ?

Well Dr. Watson looks like we have something to investigate further.

Maybe Woodcliff Lake is the new Groom Lake ? The new black bird is impressive. :ear

If its a Honda I can track it down otherwise I get myself in trouble.
:whistle

May be a simple H.R. and central accounting issue and we are reading to much into it.

The BMW XPLORE may have been an interum stop.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ  November 1, 2007 BMW Motorrad USA and BMW XPLOR are pleased to welcome Scott Summers, a pioneer of professional off-road racing, to their fast-growing racing team.

Scott Summers, one of the most celebrated off-road racers of our time, will partner with the BMW XPLOR Race Team, starting with the 2008 Grand National Cross Country (GNCC) Racing Series. SummersÔÇÖ GNCC team for the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons will have two riders in the XC1 class. He joins BMW after racing very successfully for American Honda for nearly two decades.

Summers first started receiving support from American Honda Motor Company during 1989. During his time with Honda, he earned nearly 100 overall national off-road event wins as well as 9 AMA Championships (five in the brutally competitive GNCC series and four in the far-reaching National Hare Scrambles Series. During his career, Summers did much more than win races and titles. He successfully transitioned from his role as a professional athlete to that of a businessman and the owner of his own race team. Since then, Summers has mentored other young up-and-coming racers, helping them understand what it takes to win at the highest level of the sport. During the 2007 GNCC Series, the most competitive Off-Road Championship in the world, Summers Racing earned podium finishes in 25% of the championship rounds.

ÔÇ£We are very excited to welcome Scott to our race team. He is a real champion both on and off the race course,ÔÇØ said Arturo Pineiro, head of BMW Motorrad USA. ÔÇ£These are very exciting times at BMW; these are also historic times.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£All of us at BMW Motorrad are eager to show how competitive BMW can be on the race track, on and off-road,ÔÇØ said Dirk Biehler, Manager of Marketing at BMW Motorrad USA. ÔÇ£We have some very exciting bikes in our line up, and had a terrific 2007 race year. Now, we have raised the benchmark by partnering with one of the most successful teams in off-road racing. Scott Summers has played a significant role in making the GNCC what it is today ÔÇô the most competitive cross country class in the world. BMWÔÇÖs partnership with Scott Summers is sure to energize the 2008 GNCC series, and make us even more competitive in 2008.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Over the years I had the pleasure to meet and work with a lot of great people at Honda. I have many wonderful memories from my years at Honda and have friendships that will continue,ÔÇØ said Scott Summers. ÔÇ£I'm very excited about my new career path and the opportunities it will allow me. My new relationship with BMW will provide an opportunity for me to attend a lot of new events and meet a lot of new people.ÔÇØ

BMW MotorradÔÇÖs sports enduro prototype made its first U.S. appearance at the GNCC (Grand National Cross Country) race in Crawfordsville, Indiana October 27-28. Former motocross world champion Simo Kirssi ÔÇô the lone BMW entrant ÔÇô unfortunately, crashed 30 minutes into the 3-hour race on Sunday, October 28.

The talented Finn rode the sports enduro to its first-ever victory in the final round of the 2007 European Cross Country Championship, held in Schefflenz, Germany, October 6-7. The on-going development of the production bike has been widely viewed by the public throughout the off-road racing season in Europe, but, until last weekend, the new enduro had never made tire tracks on American soil.

The AMA/ATVA-sanctioned Can-Am Grand National Cross Country Series is America's premier off-road racing series. The 13-round race series stretches through the eastern U.S., beginning with the season-opener in Florida in March and concludes with the season-finale in Indiana in October.

For more information about the Grand National Cross Country Series, visit http://www.gnccracing.com/.

Husqvarna Hires Scott Summers in Hopes of Making an Off-Road Racing Comeback
February 27th, 2008

Husqvarna Motorcycles NA, LLC ÔÇö part of BMW (US) Holding Corp. ÔÇö will return to off-road racing competition March 4 after reaching an agreement with Scott Summers, Inc. to provide a two-man professional race team to compete in the opening round of 2008 Grand National Cross Country (GNCC) Racing Series in Melbourne, FL. The riders will pilot 2008 Husqvarna off-road models in the GNCCÔÇÖs XC1 class. ÔÇ£I am very happy to expand my existing relationship with BMW to provide Husqvarna with a professional race team,ÔÇØ said Scott Summers, whose father Wade raced Husqvarna motorcycles years ago. ÔÇ£March 4 will mark the first time in many years that there has been a full factory-backed off-road Husqvarna motorcycle in the GNCC series. I cannot think of a better venue for relaunching the Factory Husky Team than in GNCC racing. Husqvarna off-road icons like Eddie Lojak dominated the GNCC series in the early years, and IÔÇÖm looking forward to writing a new chapter in off-road racing history for Husqvarna.ÔÇØ

Scott Summers, one of the most celebrated off-road racers of our time, is partnering with Husqvarna after racing very successfully for American Honda for nearly two decades. During his time with Honda, he earned nearly 100 overall national off-road event wins as well as 9 AMA Championships (five in the brutally competitive GNCC series and four in the far-reaching National Hare Scrambles Series. During his career, Summers did much more than win races and titles. He successfully transitioned from his role as a professional athlete to that of a businessman and the owner of his own race team. Since then, Summers has mentored other young up-and-coming racers, helping them understand what it takes to win at the highest level of the sport. During the 2007 GNCC Series, the most competitive Off-Road Championship in the world, Summers Racing earned podium finishes in 25% of the championship rounds.

ÔÇ£We are very excited to utilize ScottÔÇÖs expertise to reintroduce the Husqvarna brand to off-road racing,ÔÇØ said Dirk Biehler, President of Husqvarna NA, LLC. ÔÇ£This is a historic moment for the GNCC series and off-road racing,ÔÇØ he added. ÔÇ£Scott Summers has played a significant role in making the GNCC what it is today and this announcement will ignite the 2008 GNCC series and make it even more competitive.ÔÇØ

The AMA/ATVA-sanctioned Can-Am Grand National Cross Country Series is AmericaÔÇÖs premier off-road racing series. The 13-round race series stretches through the eastern U.S., beginning with the season-opener in Melbourne, FL in March and concludes with the season-finale in Crawfordsville, IN in October.
For more information about the Grand National Cross Country Series, visit www.gnccracing.com.

Information about Scott Summers or Summers racing can be obtained by contacting OMS Sports LLC 714-538-1803 and asking for Sharon Richards.
Husqvarna NA, LLC
Husqvarna NA, LLC is part of BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW GroupÔÇÖs sales headquarters for North, Central and South America, which is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.

DUST AND TREES THWART PODIUM FINISH FOR TEAM HUSQVARNA IN EIGHTH ROUND OF GNCC RACING SERIES
06/27/2008

"Redhead" Veteran Scott Summers Wins Seventh Veteran A Class in a Row
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - June 27, 2008... The Wellborn Family Farm -- site of the Yadkin Valley Stomp -- had not seen rain in nearly a month, leaving the track dry, dusty, and treacherous for the eighth round of the 2008 Grand National Cross Country (GNCC) Racing Series in Yadkinville, NC, June 21-22. Of the 23 riders in the XC1 Pro Class, many struggled with the harsh conditions and more than a few - including members of Team Husqvarna -- connected with trees throughout the course.

Husqvarna Team Rider Glenn Kearney was on track to score his third podium finish in a row. However, while in second place, he made a slight miscue and rode into a tree rather around it. Kearney regrouped after losing a few positions, soldiered on, and managed to earn fifth in the Pro Class and overall. Gordon Crockard and guest rider Heath Voss dropped out of the race on lap two, after having accidents.

In his racing debut as a redhead, Team Manager and five-time GNCC Champion Scott Summers posted his seventh straight win in a row on a Husqvarna TXC 510 in the Vet A (30+) Class, once again proving the Husky reliable and consistent even in dusty harsh conditions. Summers fulfilled a promise to dye his hair red when one his redheaded riders finished on the podium. That hope became a reality when Glenn Kearney finished second in the seventh round of the GNCC series.

Podium Finish for Husqvarna in Round 3 of AMA Eastern National Hare-Scramble Series

Kearney earned a second spot on the podium, finishing third in Round 3 of AMA Eastern National Hare-Scramble Series, June 14-15. The Husqvarna Team took a detour between rounds of the 2008 Grand National Cross Country (GNCC) Racing Series and traveled to the Miles Mountain Motocross facility in Elkland, PA. The event was the first National Hare Scramble the Husqvarna team has attended this year.

Husqvarna Team Rider Glenn Kearney finished third overall in the Pro Class, while teammate Gordon Crockard and guest rider Heath Voss finished eighth and ninth on Husqvarna TXC 450 bikes. Voss's performance was especially significant, considering it was the first national off-road race for the veteran Supercross/Motocross rider and he had only ridden the Husqvarna for the first time the day before the race.

"I was extremely impressed with many of the features on the bike, and I am confident that I can improve upon my results when I personalize those features for my riding style," said Voss.

Team Manager and five-time GNCC Champion Scott Summers posted his sixth straight win in a row on a Husqvarna TXC 510 in the Vet A (30+) Class at the Eastern-National Hare Scramble Series.

Ninth Round of the GNCC Racing Series Coming Up

Team Husqvarna will travel to Somerset, PA, July 5-6, for the ninth round of the GNCC racing series - Geico Mountain Ridge. According to racing veterans, those who ride well in rocks will have an edge as this venue is covered in them. Rocks and boulders are everywhere, so riders need to be prepared with good armor, good tires, rock suspension and a cool throttle hand.

Husqvarna Motorcycles NA, LLC -- part of BMW (US) Holding Corp. - announced a return to off-road racing competition earlier this year, after reaching an agreement with Scott Summers, Inc. to provide a professional race team to compete in the GNCC Racing Series. The riders pilot 2008 Husqvarna TXC 450 off-road models in the GNCC's XC1 class.

Crockard, of Burlington, KY, is enjoys doing battle against the best GNCC riders in the world. The 29-year-old former World Motocross Champion contender participated with Jean-Francois Goblet and Anders Erickson in an ?ûhlins suspension test in southern Spain, prior to arriving in America for the start of his debut season in the GNCC series, which attracts riders from the United States, Europe, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

Kearney, of Hickory, NC, rose to prominence as an off-road racer in Australia, riding for the factory Yamaha team and earning top spots on the WR250F in several series. In the U.S., the 26-year-old Australian Enduro Champion, has proven to be one of the hardest working riders in the GNCC series, adhering to a grueling training program and possessing considerable heart and determination on the track.

Scott Summers, one of the most celebrated off-road racers of our time, is partnering with Husqvarna after racing very successfully for American Honda for nearly two decades.
During his time with Honda, he earned nearly 100 overall national off-road event wins as well as 9 AMA Championships (five in the brutally competitive GNCC series and four in the far-reaching National Hare Scrambles Series. During his career, Summers did much more than win races and titles. He successfully transitioned from his role as a professional athlete to that of a businessman and the owner of his own race team. Since then, Summers has mentored other young up-and-coming racers, helping them understand what it takes to win at the highest level of the sport. During the 2007 GNCC Series, the most competitive Off-Road Championship in the world, Summers Racing earned podium finishes in 25% of the championship rounds.

Team Husqvarna sponsors include Axo, Spectro, Pirelli, Wiseco, Tireballs, Arai, Scott, EK Chain, Twin Air, UFO, Tag, Mechanix Wear, Holeshot Motorsports, Powersports Grafx, CTI, LeoVince, DP Brakes, and Cycra.

The AMA/ATVA-sanctioned Can-Am Grand National Cross Country Series is America's premier off-road racing series and one of the most physically demanding sports in the world. The riders must navigate rugged terrain such as woods, mud, dirt, rocks and jumps for nearly three hours, while racing against the best talent in the world. The 13-round race series stretches through the eastern US, starting with the season-opener in Melbourne, FL in March and concluding with the season-finale in Crawfordsville, IN in October. Upwards of 1,500 racers compete at each GNCC round and the race action draws several thousand fans each weekend as well as a loyal following on television.

Plenty of options for the bike include electric fairing, heated seat and grips and a speed limiter built in (so no more speeding tickets while chomping the Autoroutes abroad).

Electric windshield or electric fairing? :scratch

Back