• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

95 RT Crankcase vent Needed?

A

ABE456

I noticed the former owner plugged the crankcase vacuum tube - well I think that's what it is. It is located next to the starter. Looks like it used to run back to the air box through some fittings and a small tube of some sort.

I also noticed a wee bit of oily/carbon/ dust near the front cover vents, down at the bottom. At first I thought it was coming from the crossover pipe clamps, but now I'm not so sure. The bike runs well, doesnt use oil, and compression is within spec.

Shouldnt that crankcase vent be hooked up and run back to the airbox? All the other EPA stuff has been removed.

You really need some kind of system to allow the pressurized air inside the case to equalize when the pistons are moving in towards the crank. That's the purpose of the vent or breather valve. If not allowed to breathe, the danger is that various seals, such as the rear main seal will let loose to relieve the pressure. Any other weak points in the oil sealing system might also be stressed.

Some due run the oil mist/vapor out to collection bottle somewhere. But I think BMW designed a reasonable system to deal with it. Why not return it too stock?

Crankcase Vent

The vent you've found was to vent the fuel tank, via a solenoid controlled valve, into the crankcase. Put a vacum nipple cap from a "K" on it with some silicone sealer and let it dry before starting the engine.

Your crankcase is vented by a reed valve under the rectangular cover at the top rear of the engine.

The vent you've found was to vent the fuel tank, via a solenoid controlled valve, into the crankcase. Put a vacum nipple cap from a "K" on it with some silicone sealer and let it dry before starting the engine.

Your crankcase is vented by a reed valve under the rectangular cover at the top rear of the engine.

Thanks for clearing that up. Will do.

I also noticed a wee bit of oily/carbon/ dust near the front cover vents, down at the bottom. At first I thought it was coming from the crossover pipe clamps, but now I'm not so sure. The bike runs well, doesnt use oil, and compression is within spec.

If its the front cover to the engine you are referring to (covers the diode, alt and distributor/bean can), I have the same thing. It's mostly road dirt and brake dust in my case.

Note: If you decide to remove the front cover to clean it, disconnect the negative lead from the battery first or risk shorting out the diode board.

I removed my emissions gear with a kit sold at Bob's BMW for about 10-12 bucks I think. It came with all the necessary plugs. Most dealers probably carry them.

Last edited:
Back