• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oyster Run 2008

OfficerImpersonator

Seattle-area Rounder
A friend of mine and I "participated" in the 2008 Oyster Run yesterday, Sunday. The Oyster Run is nothing more than an excuse to ride to the otherwise sleepy town of Anacortes, WA using whatever motorcycle-friendly route you choose.

I'd estimate that perhaps 20,000 attended the event. It's mostly cruisers, and most of those are manufactured by an American company. My ears are still ringing!

We rode 225 miles yesterday on our way to and from Anacortes. We met at the Lynnwood Park and Ride lot, approximately 20 minutes north of downtown Seattle.
20080928-001.jpg

We took I-5 north to Hwy 530 in Arlington, WA. We took Hwy 530 east through Arlington and then east into the mountains to the little town of Darrington. From Darrington we rode north to Rockport and the intersection with Hwy 20. Turn right here and head over the North Cascades Hwy, or turn left and head to civilization and Anacortes.

We rode Hwy 20 back west to Sedro Wolley and then Burlington. All the riders and gawkers made the 20 minute ride from Burlington to Anacortes take over an hour. Once we got to Anacortes it was sheer mayhem. Bikes and pedestrians everywhere. We spent about 20 minutes in town before deciding we'd rather ride than watch other people ride. so we got the heck out of town.
20080928-006.jpg

20080928-007.jpg

20080928-011.jpg

20080928-004.jpg

After leaving Anacortes, we took Hwy 20 south across Deception Pass and onto Whidbey Island. We rode to a lunch break at West Beach just west of Oak Harbor.
20080928-012.jpg

20080928-014.jpg

After lunch, we leisurely rode down the island to the ferry to Mukilteo. Motorcycles took over the ferry. I'd estimate there were 400 bikes on the boat. It was quite the impressive sound when everyone started their engines in unison upon arrival at the dock in Mukilteo!
20080928-020.jpg

20080928-021.jpg

20080928-Oyster-Run.jpg

Our route

Out of what must have been 10,000 bikes I saw over the course of the day, perhaps only 10 were BMWs. It's fun being the odd man out!

Last edited:
No Way

Glad I missed the sitting still chaos-- I commute on a K12RS everyday from Bellingham to Burlington- A great place to ride "alone"-- Like over the mt on Hwy 20 or up to Mt. Baker or "solo" rides into Canada- Only one death this time on the oyster run, I understand- You probably guessed I hate crowds-- Rode my Chevy Silverado on Sunday- Nice pics though--
Jim

Thanks for posting. That's too many bikes for me!!! I'll come for the riding and the oysters!

That looked like a lot of bikes in that town...Wow! I think I would have done the same thing you did and left (in a big hurry!). From your pics it looks like your fall foliage is out in force.

Thanks for showing the badge there. I looked and thought and then decided not to bother, although while I'm here, I must do it just once, perhaps next time...:dunno

Been reading about the North Cascades Hwy and how it bcame about. I didn't realise it was as recent as 1972. What did you folks do before it was there, go all the way round the bottom of the Cascades to get to Twisp, Winthrop and those eastern places?

Nice road that Northern Cascades Hwy and the Loup Loup too.

Any how, Oyster Run pics...nicely done.

Our mantra for next time is "Turn Right at Rockport".

A great all day loop is to ride up to the Trans-Canada Hwy just across the US-Canada border at Sumas/Abbotsford and head east towards Hope. At Hope, head east on Hwy. 3 and wind through the Canadian Cascades for hours of breathtaking scenery. Eventually you'll hit BC 97, which becomes US 97 at the US-Canada border. You can come back west across the North Cascades Hwy or via US 2 and Stevens Pass.

It's a monster all-day ride, so if you don't like being on the bike for 12+ hours, it's worth it to motel the night in Oosyoos or Okanogan.

Back