Thread: salvaging a mildewed leather jacket?

Hybrid View

salvaging a mildewed leather jacket?

I have two older leather jackets . One is a late 80's Hein Gericke Paris Dakar. Both Jackets are mildewed from being stored in the basement. (What was I thinking?) Is there any product available to clean them. Or would sending them out to be professionlly cleaned be the preferred method? Thanks for your imput.

Mark from Maine

Southern Maine
    Try using saddle soap to remove the dirt first and when they are dry, bury them in cat litter for a few days. That stuff keeps houses from becoming a place not to live in and will do wonders on just about anything.

Lake Wabaunsee, Kansas
    Try and find some Skidmore's leather treatment. He makes it and sells it in Wyoming. There is a shop here in kansas that carries it.
    Jim Johnson, OP Kansas
    Marcus Aurelius: "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

"Big Bend" TX
    It takes a bit of airing out - or you smell a lot like a pine tree - but I have had the same problem a time or two on gloves and jackets, and I clean it as best I can and give it a good rubbing with Pinesol cleaner. It pretty much does in the mildew.

Then a good dose of a good leather preservative like Lexol.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

If you can find someone with an ozone generator that would do the trick. Hang the jackets in a walk in closet with the generator and run it up for about 20 minutes.Repeat as necessary.

Dartmouth, Massachusetts
    take them to a leather cleaner and have them done properly
    2007 BMW K1200R Sport (abs),2007 Suzuki dl650 V Strom (abs),2004 Honda VFR (abs),1972 Honda Trail 90,
    2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Rosso Mandello