• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Can any Canon EOS Xti owners help me?

crazydrummerdude

advrider.com
So, I got a great deal on a near-mint condition Xti. The previous owner took about 500 pics. No issue.

I took about 30 pictures to start to get familiar with the camera. I transferred them to my computer. I went to my shop and started taking pics of my R90 project. Then, the camera screen said something like "Card Error" and when I go to view the pics, it says the card's empty. I turn it off/on, take out the card, put it back in, and it just says the same error.

What's the problem?

20080912xti020.jpg

So, I got a great deal on a near-mint condition Xti. The previous owner took about 500 pics. No issue.

I took about 30 pictures to start to get familiar with the camera. I transferred them to my computer. I went to my shop and started taking pics of my R90 project. Then, the camera screen said something like "Card Error" and when I go to view the pics, it says the card's empty. I turn it off/on, take out the card, put it back in, and it just says the same error.

What's the problem?

20080912xti020.jpg

Try another card... They're electronic devices and do fail.. If that doesn't work it will most likely have to be sent to the cannon service center..

Try another card... They're electronic devices and do fail.. If that doesn't work it will most likely have to be sent to the cannon service center..

I don't have another card on me. I'll see if I can try a friends.

The local camera guru's shop said it'd be $15 to diagnose it and who-knows-how-much to repair whatever might be wrong.

So, we'll see..

Being a Nikon guy I'm not sure what the going rate is on a Cannon repair.. But it seems the minimum for a Nikon is $125... Hope it's the card....

Be careful of how you download the card. Some utilities erase images as you download them. If you have already downloaded the images then nothing is lost.

Put card back in camera and use the camera to format the card. Everything should then be A-0K.

There are various media card rescue utilities out there, but if you don't care about the images on the card, I agree with Paul. Use the camera to reformat the card.

Assume that it's a card failure. They do fail on occasion.
And cards are cheap.

ask the previous owner if this was happening, and is that why s/he bailed on the camera? 1st step, try another card. Good luck

camera help

Nathan:

This just happened to me with an Olympus Stylus. I took the camera in to my local shop that services professionals and keen amateurs. They displayed all the pictures on a screen they had, and found a picture that didn't belong there (I think it was a stock picture). After deleting it, the camera was fine. They didn't charge me because we're regular customers (that's why I prefer dealing locally, as opposed to buying over the internet.)

But try reformatting the card.

Rinty

The card was formatted, replaced with others, etc.

In the process, it was determined that the 2 of the CF card pins inside the camera were missing, and 1 more was bent. That was enough to make this problem persistent.

So, $250 and 1 month later, I have my camera back. Canon replaced the pins, and it's worked flawlessly since.

Back