• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Summer Solstice Camp and Ride 2004

BRADFORDBENN

Slowpoke & Proud of It!
This report is also available at: http://www.bradfordbenn.com/beemer/trips/solstice04.htm

The idea for a group ride and camp started when Lorazepam posted an open invite on the BMWMOA Forum. So the typical gang of four plus or minus a few got together for the event. The cast of characters were Gale, Gail, Dale, Jerrie, Tracy, Rebecca, Dan, and myself. We all arrived at various times, Gale and Gail arrived at about 13:30 EST and had started setting up the home base for fun. Then Dale and Jerrie arrived, and were on their way out to purchase some fine BEveERages when I arrived about 19:30 EST. Then Tracy and Rebecca arrived about 21:30 EST, and Dan showed up about 22:00 EST so we were ready for some fun.

Of course the Appletini's were flowing, we went through about 2 liters of Appletini's and a bunch of beer. Gale was cooking up some special beans. He started cooking them about 20:00 and I think he removed them about 23:45. MMM Burning Beans.

Click for larger image... What a way to spend a night.

Click for larger image... All for aches and pains, nothing rereational here

So we had a fun evening until we got a visit from the Department of Natural Resources representative saying we were having a bit too much fun. So we called it a night.

Unforutnately 7:30EST came way to early, so we had to get a little energy boost.

Click for larger image No photos until I have my coffee.

Click for larger image It takes two motorcyclists to light a stove...

Click for larger image and three to supervise

Click for larger image Ahhh, the all important French Press for some Boxergrrlie's Burly Brew

Click for larger image That does not look like a Powerbar

Click for larger imageLorezapam's version of Burly Brew and Powerbar.

Click for larger imageThere was a little adjustment to the motorcycles as well, Rebecca's clutch was just being way too finicky.

Dan had to bid us adieu so after a little trouble getting started we were off for a great ride. It was supposed to be the long ride, but about halfway through construction changed the route. That plus both of the GPS V's on the trip started to get completely confused. Apparently they were also having fun the night before.

Click for larger image

So we stopped and asked at a gas station how to get to Story, Indiana. No big worries as it was such a gorgeous day. We eventually arrived at The Story Inn, many of us had ridden past it but never gone in.

Click for larger image A few pictures before lunch

Click for larger image Five bikes from five states

As we were having lunch, we realized that the group was quickly becoming a Marshmallow Butt 325
We had gotten lost, we ate at a non-chain restaurant, we were having fun, there was only one thing left to do ....
Click for larger image Luxariate in the sun.

Click for larger image

Click for larger image In front of the Story Inn.

Click for larger image Which one is the evil twin?

From there it was on to Madison, Indiana to sit out in the sun and watch the boats go by on the Ohio River.

Of course we did some more luxariating, unfortunately though, Rebecca got to play Mechanic as well.

Click for larger imageThat is a lot of coal.

Click for larger image That darn clutch

Lorezapam had arranged for us to have dinner on the gazebo at Villa Milan Vineyard Yes, not only are there hills there are also wineries!

Click for larger imageHere is the merry group at the start of the evening

Click for larger imageWe stayed until we were the last group and we were having fun

After a great dinner the first bad part of the whole trip occurred. While going down a steep gravel driveway, that was extremely loose Jerrie and Dale went down. Luckily nothing to serious. Looks like two broken light bulbs, lots of scrapes on the motorcycle, and possibly a new helmet. Just two abrassions on the people and lots of soreness.

Click for larger imageClick for larger imageAll the gear all the time. Each one of these scratches would have been stiches or worse!

Click for larger imageLorezapam, Rebecca, and Tracy were nice enough to stick around and help me flip my tent right side out. Actually I was the slowpoke and they did wait for me.

Then Tracy, Rebecca, and I were off to reform the Gang of Four minus one. Here we are parked at the Flying J, a chain of truckstops. I have eaten there before but this morning's meal to quote Rebecca was the "Anti Cracker Barrel"
Click for larger image
It was so much fun, we all agreed same time next year.

Wow - looks like a blast

thanks for the post. looks like fun.
Easy answer - the "evil twin" would be the one in black, right?
Sorry to hear about the gravel-induced fall. Happy to hear that everyone is okay. Bravo for full-face helmets - great way to keep your face!
you people are nutz.

Did Rebecca get home ok? We talked an awful lot on the phone about that clutch this weekend. :)

Does Dan have an RT? I rode partway home from Indy with someone named Dan on Saturday. And he sorta looks like the guy in your pictures.

Bizarro.

Dat be me

jdiaz said:
Did Rebecca get home ok? We talked an awful lot on the phone about that clutch this weekend. :)

Does Dan have an RT? I rode partway home from Indy with someone named Dan on Saturday. And he sorta looks like the guy in your pictures.

Bizarro.

Sorry I had to leave ya, figured you would drop back when we picked up the headwind and I had a schedule to keep.

Here is BoxerGirlie in action.

Attachments

• boxerbrad.gif
    boxerbrad.gif
    128.4 KB · Views: 64
Re: Dat be me

dzimbric said:
Sorry I had to leave ya, figured you would drop back when we picked up the headwind and I had a schedule to keep.
And now my arms are three inches longer than they were on Friday. :D

Riders on IN50

When I was leaving I passed a GS with 2 riders in blue and a second bike. I think it was a RS or a S. Anyone know who they might be?

I also gave directions to a rider on a Airhead with IL plates, looking for Bass Lake, IN. I tried to find him later on but no luck, does anyone know him?

jdiaz said:
Yup, I'm home safe - thanks for asking. The adjustment that you taught me kept me on the road for the weekend. I'll take it to my mechanic tomorrow and find out what the deal is.

Back