• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire Pressure Monitor Systems

Hey Kevin, been doing some research myself into a TPMS system for my '05RT and called Lockhartphillips.com on their 1 800 #, spoke to Brian, (ext 256) who said his data shows the Zadi system as fitting all BMW models.
I had my doubts having looked at the Zadi website and couldn't see how the front wheel would work with the valve stem in the spoke...he assured me it indicates it works for ALL BMW models.
Well I got pretty excited but before ordering I asked if he had something I could look at to see how they got around the front wheel problem, and he directed me to their catalog, specifically this page:

http://s7d2.scene7.com/s7ondemand/b...570&vc=instanceName=LockhartPhillipseCatalogL

Which clearly shows there is no way it would work given the transmitter must be located under the valve stem. I thought maybe they had come up with a method of attaching the unit at the point where the air moves from the outer rim up the spoke, but allas, no, it doesn't appear to be the case since they even supply a new valve stem you must use.

The good news is at least it answers your earlier question: which size? Seems to be the 11.3mm from the information in the catalog.

I had called my dealer in Montreal and he told me it was DEFIANTLY a 15mm valve stem. Yea, right.

The quest goes on...

Jim

Thanks Jim. The quest does go on. It looks as though the only real option now is to look for the discontinued Smartire system....

I wonder where to get one...

Kevin

Mine is coming in the mail tomorrow, from Brett Donahue Harley Davidson in St. Cloud MN, 1 800 477-6980, contact courtesy of Paul Glaves.

Brett said he had 'a few left' so not sure exactly what that meant in terms of numbers...and we are talking about the Smartire system here.

Nice guy, great service!

Jim

Hi Jim,

I haven't bought the Smartire yet. Have been on holiday. Have you recived them yet, and if so, what is your verdict?

Very interested to hear.

Cheers
Kevin

All this high tech?

Sure seems good, BUT? Anybody here of Slime! Seems cheaper to me. I've used it and know it works in tubes and tubeless. Don't have to worry about flats, for the most part:). There is another company too, but I forgot what its called, the Slime counterpart....Randy...Whats next on bikes, a rider present alert system? I'm just poking a bit here:).:usa :scratch :dunno

Sure seems good, BUT? Anybody here of Slime! Seems cheaper to me. I've used it and know it works in tubes and tubeless. Don't have to worry about flats, for the most part:). There is another company too, but I forgot what its called, the Slime counterpart....
Actually - "Slime" has a mixed reputation - there are claims that it reacts with alloy rims and can cause damage. I've also been told tire-changes become messy with it.

I've been using RideOn - they make a specific moto sized package. I started using it because of a tiny slow leak in a new tire - that leaked right through the rubber (no sign of any puncture..) The manufacturer did replace the tire - but in the meantime, I had a rally to go to, and a local (non-BMW) shop suggested instead of poking a hole in the tire to put in a plug/patch that I try RideOn.

Put it in - rode about 3 miles - leak was gone, and never leaked again (I ended up leaving the tire on until it was worn out, and then replacing it with the replacement the tire company provided.)

Since then I've put it in all my tires. RideOn does not make a mess for the guy changing the tires. It forms a film around the inside of the tire - about 2" wide right in the center. There is nothing on the rim, and no mess in changing the tire out. It is water soluable, and I've seen no sign of rim damage. It has not plugged the valve stem. It just seems to work. I have not relied on it for balance - I have the tire balanced before adding it, but they claim it will also work as a balancer (like DynaBeads and others of that ilk..)

Hi Jim,

I haven't bought the Smartire yet. Have been on holiday. Have you recived them yet, and if so, what is your verdict?

Very interested to hear.

Cheers
Kevin

Hey Kevin, well I finally got time to peel off the rubbers and install the wheel sensors for the Smartire TPMS.

Overall I am pleased with the product. The sensor install was straightforward with the exception of having to remove the tires to do it. I put a new set of PR2's on while I was there even though the old ones probably had a couple of thousand clicks left on them, at least. Just too much hassle to do it again in a couple of months...

I found it was difficult to find a location for the receiver where reflection wouldn't be an issue. I finally settled on a velcro'd installation at the front of the gas tank just behind the steering stem.

It only shows the tire pressures during the first few feet of travel, then sits in passive mode ready to give you a -15% or -25% warning while riding. You can push the button on the display and it will cycle thru the display's, i.e. rear tire temp, pressure, +or- the set pressure value, then the same for the front tire. After which it goes back to the passive mode, i.e. nothing on the display except the front and rear tire 'icons'.

It would be nice if it would display the tire pressure all the time....something else to check on during those loooong days.

Jim

Thanks Jim, that is helpful.

Traveling overseas at the moment but will order when I get home. Just put some new tires on the bike. It is back in getting the BMW version of the J&M installed. Very excited about that.

Cheers from New Zealand

Hey Kevin, been doing some research myself into a TPMS system for my '05RT and called Lockhartphillips.com on their 1 800 #, spoke to Brian, (ext 256) who said his data shows the Zadi system as fitting all BMW models.
I had my doubts having looked at the Zadi website and couldn't see how the front wheel would work with the valve stem in the spoke...he assured me it indicates it works for ALL BMW models.
Well I got pretty excited but before ordering I asked if he had something I could look at to see how they got around the front wheel problem, and he directed me to their catalog, specifically this page:

http://s7d2.scene7.com/s7ondemand/b...570&vc=instanceName=LockhartPhillipseCatalogL
Jim,

Page doesn't seem to be working at the moment, but I had downloaded a version of the English installation manual from the Zadi website some time ago..
Which clearly shows there is no way it would work given the transmitter must be located under the valve stem. I thought maybe they had come up with a method of attaching the unit at the point where the air moves from the outer rim up the spoke, but allas, no, it doesn't appear to be the case since they even supply a new valve stem you must use.
Actually - according to the instructions I read (I have them here somewhere..) it uses a scheme much like what BMW does on the front rim. The hole in the spoke that the valve vents into is threaded from within the rim. They have an adaptor and a clip assembly that are fastened to the rim using a hollow bolt that screws into the spoke. BMW has the same thing with their TPM system. The sensor snaps into the clip and connects with the inside of the hollow bolt.

So I suspect the system can be used with the newer BMW cast rims - if your spoke is threaded. Apparently not ALL spokes were. There is some mention of that in the installation manual. If the spoke isn't threaded - you are SOL. If it is - you're golden. I meant to look at mine at the last tire change - too late now by a few weeks darnit.

Sorry for being so tardy with the info..

Back