• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hi Viz

rmarkr

I would like to improve my visibility to cagers, without buying new gear. At present I have a charcoal bike, black and grey jacket, black pants and a white helmet. Any ideas that do not require additional gear? And do tricks like bunny ears on the helmet work?

:dunno

I've noticed inexpensive hi-viz reflective vests at Harbor Freight in their "safety" section... might be a good way to try out the vest idea.

I read somewhere that the single most effective thing a rider can do to enhance visibility is to wear a white helmet; so you're doing something right. That plus the vest should be good.

And do tricks like bunny ears on the helmet work?

:dunno[/QUOTE]

Bunny Ears??? :scratch

Attachments

• bunny ears.jpg
    bunny ears.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,859
There was a vendor at the Vermont Rally that had some nice vests of this type, he ever had one with the name "Jesus" on it. I suppose that if that didn't help nothing would.

Remember, you get what you pay for. I haven't used an inexpensive vest, but I might worry it would shred in the wind, or fade.

I have an Olympia: http://www.olympiamotosports.com/nova/nova.htm

This vest is awesome - its tough and bright!
After spending 3 days riding with a friend wearing one of the Olympia vests, and realizing how visible he was both ahead of me or in my rear view mirrors I got one too. It's an easy fit over any of my riding suits, including the black leather jacket I like so much.

Thanks all.
The Olympia vest certainly caught my eye (I hope it catches cagers eyes a well). I'll give it a try, although I would prefer not to have an additional item of clothing - I live in the hot and humid Lowcountry.
I have never seen a motorcycle with the pulsating headlight. What sort of response/effect do they have?

I have never seen a motorcycle with the pulsating headlight. What sort of response/effect do they have?

My reaction to the pulsating headlight is usually an involuntary anger. I don't know why, but I suspect I am not the only one. On a more logical level, I think it makes it harder to judge distance and speed of the bike. They used to be illegal in some states; I don't know if they still are.

My reaction to the pulsating headlight is usually an involuntary anger. I don't know why, but I suspect I am not the only one. On a more logical level, I think it makes it harder to judge distance and speed of the bike. They used to be illegal in some states; I don't know if they still are.

I have one. Yes, legal in all 50 states and Canada. It gets the attention of other drivers and occasionally they will flash their lights. I just give them a polite wave knowing that they saw me. I do turn it off when sitting in traffic to not continually flash the driver in front of me.

I also wear a high vis, Olympic AST jacket and have added flashing LED's to my brake circuit. When touring I use bright orange dry bags for my gear. I believe that visibility is the best defense. If a modulating headlight irritates a driver, at least he sees you.

Last week I rode behind my buddy and he had just bought a new Olympia vest. Made a great difference both day and night. Reflective material on back just glowed when my head light was on it.

Great safety addition at little cost.

+1 on the Vision vests. First time T saw one on the road, I could hardly believe how well it stood out against everything else out there.

Also installed a yellow headlight bulb as suggested on web bike world. Helps me stand out in a sea of blue-white lights.

Agree those headlight flashers are highly annoying, especially when the owner is using them on an offroad only light. How do you say blinded in broad daylight?

Just ordered a new white helmet, too.

Conspicuity brand vest with that crazy lime-green stripe even over the jacket w bits of reflecto mat'l on it. Also SOLAS tape from aerostich wearhouse on the backs of my saddle bags. I also have a couple stripes of SOLAS on the back of my helm' and as a sun visor on the top of my face shield.

High beam during daylight hours( no on seems to mind), low beam after dark. also means the high burns out first, so in a pinch, before you get a chance to replace the bulb, you've still got low beam day and night.

Back