• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hi Viz

ICON Mil-spec vest

I have one of these -- it is comfortable, has lots of reflective panels and is very visible. I can wear it zipped or unzipped, and it does not flap. They are relatively inexpensive, and are of good quality.
ICN-MMV-_is

I have one. Yes, legal in all 50 states and Canada. It gets the attention of other drivers and occasionally they will flash their lights. I just give them a polite wave knowing that they saw me. I do turn it off when sitting in traffic to not continually flash the driver in front of me.

I also wear a high vis, Olympic AST jacket and have added flashing LED's to my brake circuit. When touring I use bright orange dry bags for my gear. I believe that visibility is the best defense. If a modulating headlight irritates a driver, at least he sees you.

Almost the same gear here. I found lime-yellow vests on Ebay a few years ago, I'm still wearing the first one I ordered and it still stands out. The modulated light might annoy some folks if it is aimed too high. I run mine all the time unless I'm sitting in traffic or at a light. I have had some drivers pull over for me, usually people from Pennsylvania.

THANKS, a good thread:)

Good mark:). I have been of the same mind in recent months, after a life long adventure aboard bikes and still safe, BUT. The vests have been around quite a long while now and I'm getting wiser with age and will do this soon too. My wife too. Many great links here and ideas. The white helmet too has been a very old idea, always thought to be a positive marker. Headlights(strobing) are not my thing either, but several are seen every year by me, although they seem to be not too popular. I always wonder how long the bulbs last doing this, but maybe its not hard on bulbs? Anyhow, I enjoyed this thread and THX, Randy:thumb :usa :ca

Yep, good thread! :thumb Sort of like preaching to the converted, but hey....it's always good to reinforce good habits.

After I'd been back riding for a year or so, and starting to replace all the cheap, ineffective gear I'd bought :banghead , it made sense to me to make myself (and the bike) as visible as possible. I figured if I was going to wear a once-piece Roadcrafter I might as well go all the way on the geek scale and get a hi-viz one :laugh

Latest helmet purchase was solid yellow, and the bikes have plenty of black 3M on the hardbags :thumb

... Headlights(strobing) are not my thing either, but several are seen every year by me, although they seem to be not too popular. I always wonder how long the bulbs last doing this, but maybe its not hard on bulbs? Anyhow, I enjoyed this thread and THX, Randy:thumb :usa :ca

As far as I know headlight modulators will not degrade the longevity of a bulb. One reason you might not see many on the raod is I think a lot of people are afraid of being pulled over by the police for running them. I have never been stopped while using one.

I just avoid riding at night, because you will find it hard to be seen under any circumstance.

But I like low and wide mounted running lights. I installed a $20.00 set from Walmart and they seems to keep people from pulling out in front of me.

OLY20080518007.jpg

I also like the size of my rear tail lights. BMW made them very effective.

SPPF.jpg

As 26667 suggests, I also run high beams on during the day.

Wife surprise:)

She ordered the "Sam Brown" style belts around waist and shoulder "high viz" gear out of Ireland somewhere and they came in yesterday. I had no clue she ordered them, but we had been talking about getting something. Ireland, I asked? She got a fair deal(11-12$ total for 2,UK Dollars), however and they came quickly through Customs, via USMail and we had to sign for them, Registered Mail:). They are the high viz yellow variety and are bright. I Tried mine yesterday and it goes on/off very easy with little to do. Anyhow, we're in like Flynn now. Happy Trails, Randy:thumb :usa PS; Data...."NiteViz",Sam Browne Belt....Made in China and quality is fair for the amount spent. They are NOT high end, but the reflective material is really good. Very light duty and may last a few years, heavy vinyl material. Purchased at; "Chain Reaction Cycles",7 Kilbride Rd.,Doagh,Ballyclare.Co.Antrim,N.Ireland.BT39 OQA...Phone+44(0)2893352976...Thats all:), Don't you love those foreign addresses! Boy, they give the data in an address and the mail still gets here:). Randy:thumb

High Vizzzzzzzzzzz

I got a new white helmet just because I read here how helpful it can be. I wear ATGATT and earplugs mostly after joining this site. I know your right. ItÔÇÖs a pain in the tail to get ready each time but better a pain now than later. Every time you come up with a good idea I take to it like a dog to a bone. As well I should.

Now I am ordering a new vest. It is the right thing to do. Makes perfect sense.

This is a photo of me about to go to the grocery store. I have added a little extra gear which appears to help people avoid me. Even when I pull into parking lots people give me parking spaces its just amazing. I think itÔÇÖs the white helmet!

Attachments

• viz 002.jpg
    viz 002.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 766
I just avoid riding at night, because you will find it hard to be seen under any circumstance.

But I like low and wide mounted running lights. I installed a $20.00 set from Walmart and they seems to keep people from pulling out in front of me.

OLY20080518007.jpg

I also like the size of my rear tail lights. BMW made them very effective.

SPPF.jpg

As 26667 suggests, I also run high beams on during the day.

Rob,

Does that license plate frame help with conversations on the side of the road?

Imagine my surprise when I realized this was not a greeting to Ian Schmeisser.

:lol

:hide

Rob,
Does that license plate frame help with conversations on the side of the road?

I have never been stopped, but I am convinced that tailgaters back off. When I am passed, I get before and after turn signal consideration.

I have never been stopped, but I am convinced that tailgaters back off. When I am passed, I get before and after turn signal consideration.

Something to think about Rob is what might happen to your bike while parked in some parking lot while you’re away from it. Some low life who got a ticket last week sees your tag frame takes you for a cop and kicks your bike over or some such thing to get even with the cops for the trouble they caused him or her. If you go to your local police station parking lot where the officers park their cars you’ll see very few indicators on their cars to let the public know they are the police the few you may see are called Rookies. Sorry to get off the subject line but just a heads up. :wave

I got a new white helmet just because I read here how helpful it can be. I wear ATGATT and earplugs mostly after joining this site. I know your right. It’s a pain in the tail to get ready each time but better a pain now than later. Every time you come up with a good idea I take to it like a dog to a bone. As well I should.

Now I am ordering a new vest. It is the right thing to do. Makes perfect sense.

This is a photo of me about to go to the grocery store. I have added a little extra gear which appears to help people avoid me. Even when I pull into parking lots people give me parking spaces its just amazing. I think it’s the white helmet!

:brad

The AR's nice, but you should carry your namesake--a Thompson submachine-gun.

Attachments

• img_ind_mc.jpg
    img_ind_mc.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Back