• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tank bag recommendation for r1150rt

pumppeddler

Looking for a tank bag for 1150rt. Are there any aftermarket bags out there that may serve better than the bmw bag at a more reasonable price?

They'll all be at a more reasonable price, but I really like my Marsee 20L teardrop model. With a little fudging I was able to use the two screws on the front of the tank designed for the BMW bag for securing the straps.

Frank,

I too have an '04RT and the 20L tank bag. Could you put in-
structions on this thread as to how you did the mounting? I
assume you mean the 2 screws that are in line with the seam between the tank and the fairing and down about 1".

I have been trying to figure out how to mount mine without
interfering without fouling the steering.

Thank you in advance for your help on this.

Gerald

Gerald said:
Frank,

I too have an '04RT and the 20L tank bag. Could you put in-
structions on this thread as to how you did the mounting? I
assume you mean the 2 screws that are in line with the seam between the tank and the fairing and down about 1".

Gerald

Sure. I looped the strap around the steering head for security, keeping it the same length on both ends. Then I loosely led each end over to the screw on both sides noting where the screw would meet the strap and marked it with chalk. Then I melted a small hole with a soldering iron at the mark. I then put the screw through the strap with the washer on top and snugged it up with the strap aimed toward the connection pont on the bag.

check out big mac bought it on line at cycle gadgets.com. Nice size flip up bag that does not contact the paint at all, priced around $ 200

tank bag

Looking for a tank bag for 1150rt. Are there any aftermarket bags out there that may serve better than the bmw bag at a more reasonable price?

Hi, browningpw2004@yahoo.com I just saw a bmw r1150rt, 2004 with a tank bag that has a fuel cap mount, horse shoe mount that has 4 allen wrench holes, with a hinge at the front of the bag underside, so that the bag is swung uprigt to refuel. I do not know who makes it and am trying to find one. It is very practical, attached so it cannot be stolen or removed, I have two photos of it if you want me to e mail it to you. give me an e mail to send it to. it is very practical, has a mounting bar from the fuel cap round screws that is forward to the front of the tank bag, Paul

I have a Marsee and used the two front screws and washers also, the only difference is, I cut the straps short and leave them attached because I only use the tank bag when needed. I have a rubber band to hold the clip ends of the straps together when not in use. I'm not worried about using it on another bike at this time.

It happens often. I think I've done it myself. At least people are looking back at old posts and using this forum. There's lots of good information buried back in some of those old threads.

Back