• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My cheap GPS mount

LTLJOHN

ltljohn
Needed a cheap mount for my GPS.
I used only things I already had in the garage. The only extra I will have to spend is to get it powder coated at a local shop. Anybody have any idea how much that may cost?

I have several pieces of 1'X 2'X 3/8" aluminum from the scrap pile at work
376988119_RN6FC-S.jpg

Mark and cut out a 1X8 inch strip. I used the rotary tool to start the cuts then finished with a hacksaw or I would have eaten up several cutoff wheels.
376988336_yhZ9G-S.jpg

376988529_WCPdP-S.jpg

Smooth out the rough edges drill mounting holes and countersink.
Made the proper radius bend by using a tree and a ratchet strap.

376989173_y4tPs-S.jpg

Add ram mount ball
376989686_f9KX4-S.jpg

376989910_xDJFC-S.jpg

Mount to dash of R1150RT with existing screws
376990715_fWpxn-S.jpg

I started with a 4 inch ram arm but it had a bit of vibration in it, not a lot but enough to notice, it was tolerable. I am now trying a 2 inch arm to try to reduce the vibration. The trade off is the 2 inch arm blocks the instrument a bit.

376991365_rMvgv-S.jpg

Back