• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil level window k100rs 1985

OK- I know that there are four quarts of oil in the crankcase of my k100rs because I just put it in there myself -

However I cannot see it in the window -

do you have to look at the window just right?

is it possible that this has a deeper aftermarket pan?
(I doubt it)

once I "topped it off" and I could see it

am I losing my mind?

Is replaceing the sight glass worth the effort? or should I just find something else to obsess about?

I have an 88, but that should be close enough that I can think of two things that may cause what you describe:

1. The sight glass has become stained after all this time so it's brownish tint is "hiding" the oil behind it.

or, I think more likely,

2. The four quarts you put in were enough to go over the top of the sight glass. Since the oil is new and fairly translucent, you're looking right through it without realizing it.

Possibly a combination of 1 and 2.

The next time you change your oil, put in three quarts like normal and then add the 4th slowly and you'll see the oil level rise in the glass.

hth

I agree, made that mistake a long time ago. Its not a good thing to overfill with oil. Honestly, I've never been able to get 4 quarts in the motor, and I allow the oil to drain aleast 30 minutes after riding it to warm the oil. Most recommed keeping the level below the top of the circle and above the bottom of the circle:idea

Yup.

All of the above.

I picked up an 87 K100 and there was plenty of clean oil in it- when you looked at the sight glass, it looked as though "nothing" was in it.

When I change the oil, after the 3rd quart, I wait a couple minutes to wait for the oil to makes it's way down. If it needs more, I put a little in and keep waiting until it gets to the level I want.

1 more thing, make sure you not checking the level on the side stand N/T

no text

oil window

You over filled it.
My 85 K100 (turbo) takes 3 and 2/3 quarts to fill it to the dot in the center of the glass after running it and allowing the filter to fill.

brian thompson said:

You guys are overlooking this statement, if I read it correctly. He added oil and then he could see it. So he must have the bigger pan??

Just tilt the bike the other way and see if the level comes down in the window. If it does, it's overfull. If it doesn't lean it towards the window, does it come up? This isn't rocket science. :brow

Re: oil window

volkmare said:
You over filled it.
My 85 K100 (turbo) takes 3 and 2/3 quarts to fill it to the dot in the center of the glass after running it and allowing the filter to fill.

Just a FWIW..

4 quarts is not a dangerous amount of oil to put in a K100 or K75.

I've been doing it for years on first my '85 K100RT and the current K75S. In my case - the 4 quarts JUST brings it to the very top of the oil window (which IS the level - the dot in the middle is not).

No smoking on startup, no dripping of oil. If you look at the oil pan you'll see why. It is WELL below the level of the cylinders and crankshaft and only holds the oil, filter and pump pickup.

Don't obsess. I don't even watch the window any more.. just let it drain well warm and put 3 quarts in - start it - let it run until the filter is full (oil light goes out) then dump the other quart in.

Best,

brian thompson said:
OK- I know that there are four quarts of oil in the crankcase of my k100rs because I just put it in there myself -

However I cannot see it in the window -

do you have to look at the window just right?

is it possible that this has a deeper aftermarket pan?
(I doubt it)

am I losing my mind?

Is replaceing the sight glass worth the effort? or should I just find something else to obsess about?

It is a simple process to remove/replace the oil sight glass. Use a low temp. pencil point soldering gun and slowly melt a hole in the sight glass. Carefully prise out the glass with a flat blade screwdriver with the same size blade as the hole you just made in the glass, making sure that you dont score the bore where the sight glass is being removed. Once removed place the new sight glass back in the hole and press back in with a scocket the same size as the outer rubber ring of the new sight glass. I have done this on my 87 k100rs without having drained the oil. It took about 20 minutes start to finish. I replaced mine because there was oil seeping past the glass and it was cloudy.

Last edited:
Back