• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Road Trip

crvalley

Hello Everyone,

Between May 24th and June 10th, I rode my '98 K1200RS 6200 miles around various parts of the northwest and midwest reaching as far east as Memphis, Tennessee.

The trip included traveling secondary highways and byways beginning in San Mateo, California; then, heading through Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, and back to California...Accomodations included everything from a couple nights in a five-star hotel (The Peabody in Memphis) to a cabin in Dubois, Wyoming, to camping in national forests and KOA's...lots of fun...

The following posts are some pictures from that trip...

Hope you enjoy them...

Looking forward to my next trip...soon.

Wendover, NV

Here is yours truly (now you know) on day one after I had set up camp in Wendover, NV...I was having fun with the self-timer on my new digital camera...

Attachments

• day1selfportrait.jpg
    day1selfportrait.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 212
Middlegate, NV

Still on day one...the ride to Wendover also included a lunch / refuel stop in Middlgate, NV...Neat place frozen in time with rattlesnake skins hanging from the ceiling joists and locals who say please and thank you...great BLT's, also...

Attachments

• middlegatenv.jpg
    middlegatenv.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 214
Between Utah and Colorado

Here is a nice scenery pic of my loyal ride just east of Jensen, Utah along Hwy 40 just before I entered Colorado...

Attachments

• btwnutandco2.jpg
    btwnutandco2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 212
Seeing Old Friends

While in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, I hooked up with my old high school buddy Kelly (author is on right). This pic was taken during a ten mile hike we did just outside of Steamboat...I strongly recommend the Strawberry Hot Springs just outside of Steamboat if you ever get to the area...

Attachments

• kellychrisonrock.jpg
    kellychrisonrock.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 207
Rocky Mountain National Forest

From the deserts of Nevada to the snowy mountains of Colorado, I experience all road and weather conditions...fortunately I came prepared for anything Mother Nature chose to throw my way...

Attachments

• bikeinsnow.jpg
    bikeinsnow.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 203
Boulder, CO to Memphis

I met up with another high school buddy in Boulder and we rode from there to Memphis over a 3-day period...Here we are taking a break from the 30-40 mph gusty sidewinds in Kansas...

Attachments

• jonandchrisreststop.jpg
    jonandchrisreststop.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 200
Route 66

You can't ride to Memphis without traveling at least a little bit on Route 66...This picture was taken just outside of Joplin, Missouri.

Hwy 76 into Branson, Missouri is the next best thing to a rollercoaster on wheels...a very memorable stretch of asphalt peppered with dead armadillos. Hwy 7 south of Branson through the Ozark National Forest in Arkansas is another must drive experience, again peppered with assorted roadkill...

Attachments

• chrisrte66.jpg
    chrisrte66.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 197
The King's Bikes

No trip to Memphis is complete without the "Platinum Tour" of Graceland. Here is yours truly with Elvis' AMF-era Harley Davidson collection...

Beale Street was a lot of fun also with great live blues music, and the Rock and Soul Museum in the Gibson Guitar Factory is a must see, as well...

Attachments

• elvisbikescrv.jpg
    elvisbikescrv.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 190
BMW I met along the way...

I had to include this tastefully setup BMW that I found in Northfield, Minnesota...my home town where I went to high school...

Attachments

• otherbmw.jpg
    otherbmw.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 191
Somewhere Between Madison and Chippewa Falls, WIS

The nice thing about traveling the midwest is that it gets you away from the rat race that becomes our lives on a daily basis. Sometimes you just have to stop and enjoy the scenery...and take another picture of you and your bike...

Attachments

• crvandbikewis.jpg
    crvandbikewis.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 185
The Badlands, South Dakota

I hadn't been to this area since I was about 8 years old (30-years ago)...you do the math...

Attachments

• badlandsandbike.jpg
    badlandsandbike.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 183
George Washington and my K

After I paid my $8.00 to actually step foot in Mt. Rushmore, I found this scenic overlook that was far more interesting and made for a better shot of our first president and my mode of transportation for this trip...

Attachments

• mtrushandbike.jpg
    mtrushandbike.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 178
Entering Dubois, Wyoming

I would have to say some of the more memorable riding was through western Wyoming...just watch out for large four-legged animals that jump infront of vehicles...

Attachments

• wyloneroad.jpg
    wyloneroad.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 172
Dubois, Wyoming Lodging

Between two nights of camping, I treated myself to this cool little cabin in Dubois, WY...Dubois is a great little functioning old west town with great bars and restaurants and people who are interested in other things beside themselves...

Attachments

• duboiscabinext.jpg
    duboiscabinext.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 123
The Tetons

To think I have to go back to work tomorrow is enough to make me want to quit my job and just head out and do this all over again...

Attachments

• tetonsandbike.jpg
    tetonsandbike.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 124
Atomic City, Idaho

I can't describe Atomic City other than to say it is in the middle of no where just west of Idaho Falls off of Hwy 26...This picture is of THE restaurant in that thriving metropolis better known for housing people under witness protection programs...The one time I go to Atomic City for lunch, the owner of the only restaurant in town is no where to be found. So, it was just me and the beer delivery guy waiting in his white pickup...

Attachments

• atomicrestaurant.jpg
    atomicrestaurant.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 125
Craters of the Moon...

Craters of the Moon in central Idaho off Hwy 20 on my way to Boise National Forest for my last night on the road before heading back to San Mateo, California...

Attachments

• idlavaandbike.jpg
    idlavaandbike.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 123
Juntura, Oregon Cafe

All along my trip I ate at cafes such as this one in Juntura, Oregon...You get to meet interesting people when you take the time to sit and enjoy a meal other than fast food while on the road...I new my trip was a success when I was offered pie after lunch once while in Utah...no one EVER offers you pie anymore after a meal and that made my trip...

Anyway...hope you enjoyed my journey...there will be more...

Take care!

Attachments

• orcafe.jpg
    orcafe.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 122
Back