• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ADVrider not what it use to be

Wow, sorry to drag up such an ancient thread....but it seems the act is still being followed. I'm actually...er was The Raven over there and was banned about two years ago for simply doing something stupid that I admit. No need to get into the details, but feel the permabanning is harsh. People change and rider communities are tight. I've tried to get in touch with mods over there to reconcider..but seems nothing helps and I can't even get a reply.
I have another username....but can't really get in contact with too many folks as it's hard to keep the profile incognito should the mods find out and ban that one again.

Just a shame. Kbasa...if your still around here....help would be appreciated.

I've been on a bunch of forums and the only one I've ever been banned from was the BMWMOA one (not permanently, obviously).

I don't follow drama too closely, but didn't you (The Raven) most recently ask to be banned from advrider?

I never asked to be banned, about a year and a half or so I said I wish I could personally shut down my profile. Then decided against it due to the fact that I had a lot of contacts over there.
There was one guy of there that had been jonsing to get me banned since 2006, he set the bait, I jumped and got myself banned for good.
Worst part is, they have the authority to just do certain parts of the site...heck just ban me from where he lurks.
I have even emailed mods and rudely my emails are ignored. I did contribute a bunch to the old school section, had almost 5000 posts, used to give annually to the site, as well as used smugmug.

Worst part is, they have the authority to just do certain parts of the site...heck just ban me from where he lurks.

That isn't a tool we have here...the best way is for folks to use the "ignore" function to block posters you don't want to see/interact with. Faceless encounters online seem to escalate more online than they would in a face to face encounter.

Most forums are an ever evolving environment...some get better, some worse, some folks move on and some folks push the limits until something has to give.
As a volunteer moderator, it's a fine line and not a whole lot of fun to spend so much energy and time on a few, I have so many other things to do that are a pleasure...after a while if someone decides to keep on pushing the guidelines of a particular forum, the consequences are within their control and shoudn't be a surprise when action is taken.

As a former manager who had many employees that fired themselves for not following the rules the rest had to abide by...I just did the paperwork...it's not the fun part of business...same goes here.

When we had The Tavern and Don't go There it became a "my opinion are the facts and more important than yours" and got quite ugly at times with some threats to folks livelyhoods and families...it was really crazy for a MOTORCYCLE forum.

Sorry you got banned over there...is it that big of an issue in the big picture? Learn from what went wrong and find a new home...BTDT ... Oh yeah, don't forget to ride your bike! That's really the bigger picture isn't it?

Problem is I tried to take it outside the forum and simply mentioned it as such. The baiting member made it out to be a threat and the mods agreed....raven was gone. Speaking of...i still need to stop by the guys house to get his issue straitened out, just have not made it down that way in ages. I hate leaving loose ends...I always wonder why someone takes issue with something....it would be resolved if they simply just provided me an explanation.
Sadly the big thing about Advrider is that I own an r80g/s and really dislike the modern BMW. Over there I had a whole bunch of folks in the Oldskool section who I could go to for help. Most were in thier twenties like myself, and rode thier bikes hard. I fit in over there. Wish I could go back. MOA is great, but its a different demographic.

Since I was banned, I have not ridden much as the motivation has not been there. Everytime I look at the g/s i think of all the help i got rebuilding it. My shed/workshop is a storage shed again. My KLR sits unused under a cover. I was an aspiring MSF ridercoach, but quit shortly after the banning. ATGATT means nothing to me now, and I will ride how I feel that day when I do ride. The banning depressed me a lot, and really killed any motivation I had. I know I should suck it up......but really advrider.com meant a lot to my riding.

Damn, dude. I hang out of advrider a lot more than here, but even I can't say that it has that strong of an effect on me.

Well, I'm not going to suggest it, but I'm surprised you haven't made a fake n00b over there and just laid kinda low. You wouldn't be the only one.

Well, I'm not going to suggest it, but I'm surprised you haven't made a fake n00b over there and just laid kinda low. You wouldn't be the only one.

Not gonna say I have or have not.....but honestly not being able to openly connect with friends and being in constant fear of being found out and banned again makes the fake noob thing kind of hard. Heck, I contacted a couple mods through my fathers account and they banned his account as well......i still hear about that "sigh"

If you don't own the forum, you play by the rules of the people who do. Problem solved. Is this thread really 4 years old?

Yeah
i knew the age of it, but it seemed relevant. It actually came up when i searched "how to contact an advrider mod" since they removed the contact link email and other methods were futile. Honestly, in todays day and age, not replying to a pm or email is akin to hanging up on someone.

I would be happy to play by the rules...i would, but seriously a perminant ban. Heck the worst kind should be 1 year. Hell even prison sentences for what I was accused of doing are less than I got at advrider.

Or you could choose to look at it as a blessing, and move on.
Ken

I could...but show me another site that has a bunch of 20-30 year olds who have airheads and also provide advice quickly when needed. I'm also a member of HU...great folks and site...but the older BMW info and feedback is more than lacking. This is even true with MOA unfortunatly. Lots of consertive older folks have BMWs, I get enough conservativism with my 1945 Jeep MB as there are very few my age that want to preserve them.

Back