• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ADVrider not what it use to be

Such is the life.

I work on/collect:
airhead BMWs,
Ford Model As,
antique tractors,
antique stationary engines,
etc.

I'm 26. If you don't count the grandkids that get dragged to the gatherings, I'm almost always the youngest attendee.

Yeah, i was at a military vehicle show recently and um...the guy next to me kept running into his radio truck and hiding in there with all the antenna's. There were guys dressed in fatigues who looked like they never left The war...and a bunch of wierd guys who kept eyeing us in our cream colored VW bus with the 99%, fck starbucks, and peace not war stickers. :dunno

I Was There

I belonged to Advrider once, I find a lot of thin skinned narrow minded folks over there and that includes GB, who seems to be King S***

Apparently the comment I made was considered as a "bigot" comment by him. And I was kicked out immediately, no warning, no probation. However I am proud to say I have been kicked out of much better places than ADVRIDER.

There is no danger of me trying to go back...............

ADV rider: I have found ride partners there,I have made some great buys of MC stuff there,I have corresponded in a very informative(and I have to add, enjoyable!) way with people all over the globe there,I have learned much of a tech nature (BMW & other brands) there, I have been helped in very specific(and time consuming ways (r.e. vintage bike projects) there, I have found Mexico trip friends/lodging/ride partners there; in short, its a great MC asset & being both large & global it has much that is lacking on the MOA Forum in both good & bad sorts of ways. There are a bunch of BMW people there & I've heard several clearly state they get there BMW "fix", you might call it , on ADV & it's been expressed a few times that the club is a bit stuffy in comparison, plus no membership fees!
Is it "tame", no. Is it useful & interesting, yes! Obviously I find both spots worthwhile, as do many MOA members.

Exactly my point. I was an MOA member once, i liked the magazine but the membership lacked a lot of what I was looking for. I care less about ABS, IBR, Linked brakes, headlight modulators, Zumo, Touratech and spending 30k on the bike and name brand gear.
With Advrider I had likeminded folks who could motivate, educate, and accomplish so much without having much money and an MD or JD behind thier name. They rode what they could afford, and if it was nice, they didnt brag about it. There where asshats, heck I was one, but they were generally dealt with. My biggest complaint is somtimes the punishment does not fit the crime. Even here I PMed the main mod from adv...and got nary a response.

I'm guessing the only way is to use the fake noob approach. Hopefully I can show a legit change of behavior, be able to avoid the guy who baited me and contact the folks who were decent behind the scenes.. I'm hoping that in time if I am ever found out the mods will be leinant and not reban me. I just hate taking the risk. :dunno

well, that lasted a whole few minutes...it's hard to know your friends. PM a couple folks who i thought were friends and get reported and banned. time to sign up as a new noob or get a reprise from a mod. :eat

.......or just drink myself stupid and ride my g/s full speed into a semi....life sucks, i quit..

Last edited:
Permaban Heroes

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210758

CMWoody is one of the most accomplished riders and wrenches I know; but like some, he pissed off a mod and that Mod got all of his buddies together and did a permaban.

ChuckKLR
OldBMWMaster
HBBarbie
GSDude

and the list is a long one. All people who rode a lot and are a benefit to the riding community.

Baldy is a jerk and he chooses the mods which fit his personality.

The OP is correct, a month or 6 months, or even a year ban could have been done; but back to Baldy's personality...he is a jnerk

Btdt

I recently spent some time at ADVrider. I came away thinking that tho it definitely has its a-holes, it also has its upside. One balances the other, and just like the entire rest of the world, no one is forcing you to hang out in places where you'll get beat up.

I've read some amazing ride reports there including one from Africa that featured some of the most gut wrenching and tense moments imaginable, along with some poignant moments where the writer- a former SA army guy - met some folks who were in a regiment he'd fought against in a war. Great writing and wonderful, Introspective commentary for sure, came out of his experiences!

I also found advrider great for advice last year when planning a trip to Nove Scotia / Canada, too (same for this forum, thank you very much).

It was on ADVrider where I first became aware of RTWDoug- whom I bump into at vintage meets here and there- and who is very approachable and easy to talk to.

I most like:
Ride Reports
Day Trippin'
Old's Cool
a: Airheads
b: Vintage Brit SuperThread (started by moi)
Flea Market
And
"Inmates" has its good moments. (tho I don't go there too often)

So yes, IMO, ADVrider has its high AND low points. Seek your (insert your whatever here) where you find it. And quit going to places where you'll get picked to pieces, kor beat up. Also, some advice: if a strong retort is called for, then use one. It may get you some respect. Tho some may have been banned for posting some nudity, nobody even blinked when I told a couple people to f*** off. There are a lot of veteran posters there who view every newcomer as someone who is simply clueless and oh-so un hip to their "world". Which is something I personally could care less about- "their" world?!?!? Plus, if a guy has 75,000 posts on some website, how much actual motorcycling is he really doing? Heck some guys I ran up against in Jo Momma even came out and admitted they don't ride!!!

BTW, the aforementioned RR from Africa featured some pix of girls/women in their native clothing- or their native skin- and nobody seemed to mind, that is as far as I know, the RR didn't get pulled or the author banned. Another note: political or religious conversations will probably end badly in most segments of society in general, so why bother in Jo Momma, or CS&M? As an adult (my assumption) you really oughta know better.

Last edited:
OK....that really hurt when i got kicked back off and I am thinking it's a guy who suggested it that did the deed as he made no response. I am kind of agreeing that the big mods in Adv are complete *******s. I've contacted one over there through email and even PMed him here. He does not even have the decency to reply. Seriously Roger...WTF?

So, I got accepted over on FarmRulz. Ssems to be a decent site without too many *******s.....even if there are a bunch of adv mods there :stick

Last edited:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210758

CMWoody is one of the most accomplished riders and wrenches I know; but like some, he pissed off a mod and that Mod got all of his buddies together and did a permaban.

ChuckKLR
OldBMWMaster
HBBarbie
GSDude

and the list is a long one. All people who rode a lot and are a benefit to the riding community.

Baldy is a jerk and he chooses the mods which fit his personality.

The OP is correct, a month or 6 months, or even a year ban could have been done; but back to Baldy's personality...he is a jnerk

I almost wonder that if you work in the field, and give technical advice, then have your access removed if you could revoke your copyright making your posts in a forum copyright infringement? I have a full g/s restoration photodocumented there, and would pull the hosting account if it were not also posted on Horizons Unlimited who are decent. I really should have the option to modify my own posts if i choose. They are not Baldys

ADVRider is not for everyone. I'm a member, not many posts, use a different username over there. On my 3rd post as a member, I got a PM from one of the mods saying I'd get kicked off if I kept up that behavior. The PM had me going, "Huh?" The post was maybe slightly sarcastic, but pointed at nor mentioned no one. I still go over there, post once in a great while, but whatever. There are a LOT of good folks over there who reguarly meet up in 3D, go on rides, etc. Good for them.

That said, Adam, it sounds like you've let this REALLY get to you. No good. It's JUST an internet forum, and apparently you've let being banned affect your total outlook on life. Put down the mouse, back away from the keyboard. It ain't worth it, life's too short to get upset over stuff like this.

I also understand that the BMWMOA forums aren't for everybody, either. But if restoring and working on an R80 G/S has been your thing, there are some pretty dang good resources here on the Airheads forum.

Back