• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

09 RA rally?

Maine would be OK. But like I heard, it's going to be in WV. Probably er... Definetely Charleston. Yes Charleston WV,

I would like Charleston. The MOA rally was a disaster because the rally was to large for Charleston to handle and the weather was horrible. I think the RA rally would work well there. I met some of the nicest people who were natives of Charleston when I went to the MOA rally and they were not at all like the media depicts them.

I don't think it will be W.V. as the RA did one there a few years ago. Maine would be interesting and a first as I do not believe the RA or MOA has held a rally in that state yet. Just a guess on my part. I gave up trying to predict what the RA will do. One reason I love that club. :heart

BMW RA, if U come to Arkansas plez pick a wet county. Don't need no repeat of Fontana. :laugh Lots of dry counties in the Arkansas Ozarks.

Hey, why not Fontana?

BMW RA, if U come to Arkansas plez pick a wet county. Don't need no repeat of Fontana. :laugh

Gee, Fontana would be a great place to have a RA National (Yes, I remember the tank at the gate,no beer, and every third car cruising through was a Fed!) But look, all the folks that caused that mess are gone now, and the county governments would really like to show us a good time.:clap I got a feeling there would be FAR less speed traps on our second trip to Fontana! Let's bury the hatchet and "Return to Fontana"!:german

Actually, my bet for the RA site is north of Fontana and will be held around the time of the MOA fun in Gray.:groovy

Last edited:
Two comments. I attended my first RA rally this year. The weather was perfect, and the riding in the UP was excellent. It was much smaller than a MOA rally, but well organized. I did a stint at the registration table, and everyone was great.

I have attended several MOA rallies. Much larger, very well organize, many more vendors, and lots of nice folks. My first was the Charleston rally, and IMO it was the best. I don't camp, and having the assets of a great town to enjoy made it a first class event. We were welcomed with open arms by the entire city. I agree about the weather, or at least the part when the beer tent came down during my shift, but just can't buy the repeated complaints about the site. Not everyone camps. Its been years, get over it.

My first was the Charleston rally, and IMO it was the best. I don't camp, and having the assets of a great town to enjoy made it a first class event. We were welcomed with open arms by the entire city. I agree about the weather, or at least the part when the beer tent came down during my shift, but just can't buy the repeated complaints about the site. Not everyone camps. Its been years, get over it.

+1!

A vote for camping

I do camp at National Rallies because I like to stay close to the "action" at the rally and I do not want to drive after I have visited or worked the Beer Tent. The National at Charleston did not feel like a National Rally because everything was separated by several miles. The folks that camped at the college (where the Beer Tent was located when it was not getting blown-away) had a good location, with access to lots of bathrooms and campus food outlets. All the folks that did not camp by the river ended up spread over a large area and had little connection with other rally-goers. The vendors and the seminars were too far away to walk to and a lot of people did not get the chance to enjoy the assembly hall. The folks in Charleston were good hosts, as has all the towns that have hosted MOA and RA Nationals, but it was NO FUN trying to drive through city traffic to get to the rest of the rally. I want to ride my bike to the rally, but I really do not want to ride that much when I am at the rally, so I am against the "urban rallies" and would like to continue to have National Rallies at large fairgrounds or off-season resorts. All the folks that do not want to camp can go ahead and find a nice room at some motel/hotel, and I would hope that the club will provide shuttle buses for their transportation to-and-from the Rally site.
This is important to me because I serve as a Head Bartender at the Beer Tent and I really do not want to worry about putting drunk riders on the road [Can you say Dram Shop responsibilities and lawsuits involving volunteer,amateur bartenders?] We work hard at keeping control at the Beer Tent, and we will cut somebody off if they have had too many:bottle, but I do not want to work under those legal pressures and not having a Beer Tent is NOT an option for me-- I will not attend a National Rally that does not have a Social Hall/Beer Tent on site.:mad

Is no one disturbed by the lateness of the annoucement? It took them until December last year. I've posted over on the RA forum too and whle there was a few comments, there has hardly been dissent.

All the folks that do not want to camp can go ahead and find a nice room at some motel/hotel, and I would hope that the club will provide shuttle buses for their transportation to-and-from the Rally site.
This is important to me because I serve as a Head Bartender at the Beer Tent and I really do not want to worry about putting drunk riders on the road [Can you say Dram Shop responsibilities and lawsuits involving volunteer,amateur bartenders?] We work hard at keeping control at the Beer Tent, and we will cut somebody off if they have had too many:bottle, but I do not want to work under those legal pressures and not having a Beer Tent is NOT an option for me-- I will not attend a National Rally that does not have a Social Hall/Beer Tent on site.:mad

And there is the problem: only Charleston had shuttle buses. If all rallies had them, everyone would be happy and served (with beer!).

Is no one disturbed by the lateness of the annoucement? It took them until December last year. I've posted over on the RA forum too and whle there was a few comments, there has hardly been dissent.
It certainly makes it difficult for some folks to plan ahead. That's what I find most frustrating.

And there is the problem: only Charleston had shuttle buses. If all rallies had them, everyone would be happy and served (with beer!).

Never saw a shuttle bus & they SURE didn't go to the RV park at the baseball stadium.

I'm a bit... disappointed in this choice.

First, this pretty much guarantees that I can't attend because getting vacation through a two-ish week period is likely out of the question, plus I have other trips I'd like to take around that time. Aside from having the rallys spaced out a bit time-wise, I liked having different locations to choose from - that gives more riding opportunities.

I know not everyone will agree with me, and I HAVE read the post explaining why they chose these dates. I guess we'll see if people stick around from the MOA to attend the RA rally or not. Hopefully it will be a good turnout for them, as I had fun with the RA at the Biltmore rally.

I'm a bit... disappointed in this choice.

First, this pretty much guarantees that I can't attend because getting vacation through a two-ish week period is likely out of the question, plus I have other trips I'd like to take around that time. Aside from having the rallys spaced out a bit time-wise, I liked having different locations to choose from - that gives more riding opportunities.

I know not everyone will agree with me, and I HAVE read the post explaining why they chose these dates. I guess we'll see if people stick around from the MOA to attend the RA rally or not. Hopefully it will be a good turnout for them, as I had fun with the RA at the Biltmore rally.

yeah, that's kinda my problem I can't do both and still have enough time to do the 3 or 4 local rallies I like to do and the two weeks of vacation with the better half. And if the SR Fof that I host is moved from June at Seneca Rocks to July with the RA that pretty much means its RA for me, just have to see what the /5 U. group votes for. Certainly is would be an easy ride for me, almost too easy, I've never been to an RA rally, but then again I've never done an MOA rally, 'cept for Charleston WV which by all accounts doesn't count. Ha Ha!

Oh well.....

RM

I think it's a great date, at a great location (spent several days at Canaan Valley last summer - riding in the area is great, and the park is wonderful, with very friendly people running it.)

I've already got my plans - do MOA from Thursday to Sunday, ride out into TN, then KY, then back towards WV and arrive at Canaan Valley on Weds, rally on until Sunday and ride home.

Sounds like a plan to me! Whoopie!

Back