• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2005 Nationals location best guess

Nothing like having board flat and straight roads featured at a rally. I wonder why Lima is the site. Chillicothe would be a much better place, about the same size, and they have a large fairground, and plenty of motels. They host a biker event every year, Easyriders, and I am sure they could accomodate BMWMOA.

They were taking suggestions after the Kentucky location didn't work out. Something about a county liquor permit.

lorazepam said:
Nothing like having board flat and straight roads featured at a rally. I wonder why Lima is the site. Chillicothe would be a much better place, about the same size, and they have a large fairground, and plenty of motels. They host a biker event every year, Easyriders, and I am sure they could accomodate BMWMOA.

Lorazepam's right. I went to college about 10 miles east of Lima at Ohio Northern University, and you can't get straighter, flatter roads than there. The carpenters squares in your workshops look like the tail of the dragon compared to Hancock county roads (not that it won't be fun anyway).

Carl

lorazepam said:

I can suggest some nice curvy routes in the area, that provide very nice riding.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by lorazepam
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can suggest some nice curvy routes in the area, that provide very nice riding.

Mike_In_Lima said:
quote:
Originally posted by lorazepam

Hook us up, daddy-O! :thumb

KBasa;
What machine are you riding out here on? The GS?

I don't know how these things are structured; it looks from the Spokane site like they may have some pre-planned rides?
I don't want to screw anything up, but as soon as the powers-that-be let me know what is up, I can make up some nice rides of varying length. It's a ways down the road, so perhaps a separate thread with my route suggestions/comments/maps can be posted.
Logan County is also pretty much adjacent, and offers some nice rides. There are some sleeper roads out west and southwest of Lima as well; heck, northwest even. Some that follow rivers, some along an old canal, etc. Some nice highly rural routes, too, for those who want to move at a goodly clip.
Generally good pavement, moderate traffic. I'll work to keep you out of congestion! Depends how long a ride you want, really. After blasting cross country, just hanging out at the fairgrounds might be nice!
As nice as the Million Dollar highway running into Ouray, Colorado? (one of my favorite rides in the mid 80's)
Okay, hardly.

routes to Lima

Mike: I'm sure the routes will be most welcome.

I'll be riding my R1200C Montana in from south-central Maryland. My first BMWMOA rally! Any nice (non-slab) routes to Lima from my neck of the woods would be most welcome!

Re: routes to Lima

mdcruiser said:

I'll be riding my R1200C Montana in from south-central Maryland. My first BMWMOA rally! Any nice (non-slab) routes to Lima from my neck of the woods would be most welcome!

Remind me down the road, and we'll figure out what the best jumping off point in Ohio is for you.

Re: routes to Lima

mdcruiser said:

On my way back from Mid-Ohio last month I took Rt. 50 from a little south-east of Columbus all the way to DC/northern VA. Great road all the way. It goes over the Alaganey Plateau, from VA west, thru WV to Clarksburg it's all two lane twisties then it's a four lane from there west to Athens, Ohio and that section is also nice as it goes through the Hocking Hills area. Beyond Petersburg, no clue as that's where we picked it up from 33 South. If you're in south-central MD it shouldn't be too far down for you to pick up 50.

Here's a pic from 50 just as it starts across the top of the Plateau
P5300070.jpg

you can see more from the area from a ride I took up the Plateau
here
If you've never been thru there it's worth the trip. It was 530 miles from Mid-ohio to just south of DC going that way and about 14 hours riding given the twisties for the last 1/2 of the ride home.

RM

Thanks! That sounds most interesting. I feared that traffic on US 50 was really dense -- is that not the case?

Liked the pix!

I cross into VA using White's Ferry, so would take Rte 7 West to Winchester, where I would pick up Rte 50.

Mike, once I'm in Ohio on Rte 50 (enters Ohio at Belpre), do you recommend going north on Ohio 7 and then Ohio 60 to Zanesville?

mdcruiser said:
Thanks! That sounds most interesting. I feared that traffic on US 50 was really dense -- is that not the case?

Liked the pix!

I cross into VA using White's Ferry, so would take Rte 7 West to Winchester, where I would pick up Rte 50.

Mike, once I'm in Ohio on Rte 50 (enters Ohio at Belpre), do you recommend going north on Ohio 7 and then Ohio 60 to Zanesville?

I rode back on Sunday, traffic was light thru the Hocking Hills and even over the Alaganeys, gets heavier for a bit around Clarksburg and the last part of VA but not too bad. Don't know about 50 past Athens, but I do recomend going thru the Hocking Hills, from what i saw of middle ohio it's pretty flat, the southern area seems more interesting, thou I admit I'm not that familiar with most of Ohio as that was my first trip up there.

RM

50 all the way to Chillicothe is good ride, a little busy at times, but plenty of places to pass.

Take 35 out of chillicothe, to 207 toward clarksburg and mt sterling.
Catch 56 at mt sterling to 29. then catch 68 to bellefontaine, home of the first concrete pavement in the US.

Take the spur to 117, and that will get you to Lima in fine fashion.

It is mostly rural, mom and pop places are still around, and offer good choices for eating.
If you take more that one day, the state park system is great, and you can reserve spaces in advance if you know your schedule.

That ride will give you a tase of almost everything you will see in Ohio as far as roads.

I would put rt 555 from rt 50 at little hocking just as challenging as the dragon. Ride it all the way to Zanesville if you dare.

Back