• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cyber Cafe use and assistance needed

DATA

Data Man 4 U
FYI to the "connected" here.

There will be a Cyber Cafe at Spokane. If you have a laptop, with wireless access, you will be able to use YOUR latop not ours.

There will be a wireless Access Point in Bay 2 at the fairgrounds. Wander in, and you too, should have access.

We also need "Cyber Guides" for handholding and assistance of people bringing in their own laptops, and those using the laptops we will have there. The intention is to have printed up cheat sheets to guide those in need of assistance in accessing their mail, not from home.

Now might be a good time to brush up on how to use your ISP's Webmail so you know what to do when you are in Spokane. Or write down the info on your ISPs POPserver to get mail in Spokane. Also how to leave mail on your ISP's server, if you want to get it when you get home, and how to blow it up on the server if you decide you don't need to save it for when you get home.

I'd like to have 2 hour shifts for the Cyber Guides. And overlap if we have the people. IOW, start at 9A-11A and have someone else come in 10-12P and repeat from there. That way after the first hour, the CG can take a leak, get something to eat, etc.

Cyber Guiding is a good way to meet other folks in an indoor somewhat quiet condition. Or meet other folks that access the net.

Comments? Offers of assistance?

Okay for the truly geeky, i.e. me :p, will there be any hardwired access? Figure we might have bandwidth problems with everyone trying to get on at the same time.

Now if you are wondering if I am gonna volunteer. Oh yeah, but first I want to see the schedule and work out when I can fit it in between the great seminars! http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally/rally04/schedule.htm

BradfordBenn said:

Okay for the truly geeky, i.e. me , will there be any hardwired access? Figure we might have bandwidth problems with everyone trying to get on at the same time.
===============

We are wireless to the ISP. I am told we will have 2Mbps available on that link. I was not planning on hardwire. It keeps down complexity. Plus how many laptops have ethernet connections on them? (You don't want to know how old mine is. No, I don't carry or use it.)

I know there are "lowest connection speed issues". However, I also figure people will not be streaming video's over the links either.

Comments?

Scheduling, schedule when you know.

THNX for stepping up!!!

Are you sure about 2Mbps? That is relatively slow, but hey access is access.

Yes my laptops have wired and wireless cards, but then again I am a geek.

One last question, and knowing you; you probably are already on it... is the ISP providing DHCP and DNS?

I am trying to figure out if I should grab any of my geek stuff for the trip.

If they get a good router, the router should handle the DHCP and provide NAT on the inside. I don't think DNS will be an issue.

And just about every laptop made in the last 3 or 4 years has an ethernet card, Brian.

Time to move up, man.

FWIW, my hotel room will have a high speed connection available, so I'll use that to load pictures. I'll probably do like I did last year and put pictures up daily from the rally for the folks back home.

DATA said:
We also need "Cyber Guides" for handholding and assistance of people bringing in their own laptops, and those using the laptops we will have there. The intention is to have printed up cheat sheets to guide those in need of assistance in accessing their mail, not from home.

Put me down. You already have my reply from IBMWR but thought you might want to collect the info here.

Back