• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

H2W bags

amiles

I haven't had the opportunity to see the live demonstration of how to properly use these. My question concerns packing the tent, Do I understand correctly that the tent is to be jammed into the wet bag without any rolling or folding? The current website is unclear to me on this point.

My inexpensive tent has several metal attachments for the pole system that would seem very likely to puncture the tent if packed this way.

Thanks

h2w bags

Helen's instructions for a wet tent are simple: Stuff it in. Tents do not like to be folded because repeated folding on the same lines break the fabric and destroy the waterproofing. Just be sure you use the "wet" bag for tents and her "dry" bags for everything else. I also like her mesh bag for wet things like towels, recently washed clothing, etc.

I have followed her instructions for over 12 years and am convinced that the lady knows what she is talking about. Her products are the best.

+1 pn what Tom said

the only caveat is that while you may stuff it wet, you must properly dry it out before storing it.

I've never had any luck stuffing my tent into my Helen's tent bag. I fold and roll it for travelling and then once home, leave it stuffed into a a box until the next trip.

Let me preface my comments with the fact that Helen's gear and advice are first rate. I've been using her gear for several years with great results.

Regarding the tent stuffing technique...I just don't like to pack my tent that way. I understand the logic of stuffing rather than folding stresses different parts of the tent fabric each time it's packed. I've found that I fold and roll my tent with enough variation that I've never enounted a problem so far. I've used the same Eureka 3 man geodome since 1989 and it is in great shape.

Enjoy the H2W bags...they're great.

I haven't had the opportunity to see the live demonstration of how to properly use these. My question concerns packing the tent, Do I understand correctly that the tent is to be jammed into the wet bag without any rolling or folding? The current website is unclear to me on this point.

My inexpensive tent has several metal attachments for the pole system that would seem very likely to puncture the tent if packed this way.

Thanks

You may have a special case with the metal attachments to your tent, but I've been using the "stuff" method since learning of it from Helen and not only has my tent survived, but it saves me a lot of time packing up.

I'm in the "folding and rolling" camp. I find it makes a much neater and firmer package that is easier to tie securely to the bike. I tried the stuffing method, but it made the bag too soft and bulky to tie on properly. Plus I just like things neat and orderly. The poles and pegs get rolled into the center of the roll, then my ground tarp is rolled around the outside of the tent roll with a wrap of cord tied to secure it. Everything is then in one neat package and drops into the H2W bag. My tent is 6 years old, has seen hundreds of campsites and shows no sign of wearing out from this treatment.

I have never ascribed to the idea that there is only one right way to pack. Everyone has their own methods that work for them. The H2W bags are great however you choose to pack them.

Stuff it

Durng years of backpacking I learned and used the stuff method for tents and sleeping bags. Repeated folds along the same lines cause a breakdown in the waterproofing chemicals used on tent fabrics, resulting in hairline "cracks". While I think this was a greater concern with canvas tents than it is with modern fabrics, it is still valid. If you use the correct size stuff sack for the item you are packing, it will pack rock hard. Stuffing correctly, you have to compress in layers to fit it in the bag.

After I saw the videos of her on the old site I slapped my head as I realized the simple logic. 1wet, 1dry, 1 for clothes. I later added the mesh bag. Had the system for 3 or 4 years and love it.

On stuffing the tent - I put the hard stuff in first. Poles stakes and the Kermit chair. Then stuff the tent in around all that. Fold up the foot print and stick it on top as I pull the drawstring. Makes a nicely rigid package to strap to the bike and everything is in order as you need it at the next camp. If you don't have the chair or a really large or bulky tent I can see how you could end up with a bag that is too soft to strap...

Another reason to spring for the Kermit...

I like the Helen Bags because of the straps that are sewn along the length of the bags. These keep the bags firmly in place on the bike.

Here is a shot from my trip to all 48 states last summer. The smaller bag at the back has my tent. The big bag starts like this:
1) first the thermarest, air-out and then unrolled around the outside.
2) then the Kermit chair
3) Then the sleeping bag, extra shoes, and anything else I can shove in there.

Badda Bing, Badda BOOM. Fast pack-ups and easy to put on the bike.
Thanks to Helen for making such fine products..:thumb

Attachments

• Nebreaska.jpg
    Nebreaska.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 450
Back