• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Nolan- 103 helmet

J

jbertarellis

looking at possibly purchasing new helmet. Any feedback on Nolan 103?
John

Nolan

I have one of these and I can say that I should have saved my money. It is not in the same league as the Arai that I have. The Nolan has very poor airflow and has cheep plastic for the primary shield.

I looked at the N103 last spring at the time I bought an N102 at a *very* good sale price. At that time you couldn't get the N103 here (can you now?), but it looked like the hat I will want to get once they have been in the U.S. market for the prices to come down some.

Nolan helmets fit me very well, and they have proven to be very well built. I'm on my third one and they just keep getting better. The external sun visor on the N102 looks goofie, but actually works very well, and now I wouldn't have a helmet without some kind of visor. The internal design is even better, so I believe with Nolan's good reputation, and aggressive pricing, the N103 will be very popular.

Fwiw

I currently use the Nolan 102 with the Bluetooth option and basic kit. Overall, I am happy with the helmet and paid $450 for the whole setup. The short-comings, in my opinion, are the poor air circulation around the face and the speakers are a bit tinny and don't handle higher volume levels from external devices, such XM, iPod, etc. The built-on sun visor is nice, but I like the internal visor of the 103 better. You can use the sun-visor with face screen up on the 103. The helmet fits my head very well and is comfortable with little wind buffeting. :D

N 102 & 103

I have had an 102 for more that a year and works fine.
But my next helmet will be the Vemar Jiano, for sure !!

Red!!

I got a N103 from Competition Accessories in about 4 days. They had Corsa Red in XL in stock:dance :dance . So many other helmets are sold in black, white, and some shades of grey.:scratch
I was uneasy about buying a helmet without trying one on - but I got lucky and it fits. I am delighted with it so far.

Last edited:
Try on prior to purchase

Nolans tend to vary in size, model to model. My nolan xlite had some quality control issues. I found it fits a oval head shape and is a little tight on a long oval shape. Very quiet and lite but TRY IT ON FIRST! Also check the hard foam impact material under the pad for proper installation.

I just bought a Nolan 102, and find it good at the moment.
I usually have Shoei, but tried the Nolan, and it fitted well, and was priced
well.
I like the anti fog system, and the sun visor.
Have done a few rides around 200-300klms, and no dramas yet.

I have trouble coming to terms with having to pay around $650-800 for Shoei
or Arai. $380 for my Nolan was acceptable.
Will see how it goes in the long term.

I noticed size wise, I had to go down 1 size from my Shoei. Medium to a small. Either that, or my head has shrunk:D

$ 380 ???

I'm surprised !!

Last summer (West Bend) I paid $ 306 for the N102,
and in the Gillette Rally it was at $ 250,
those were solid colors, though...

I'm surprised !!

Last summer (West Bend) I paid $ 306 for the N102,
and in the Gillette Rally it was at $ 250,
those were solid colors, though...

That's because the N103's were on their way to North America. I bought an N102 from Competition Accessories in April for $219 because there were several discontinued colors. I believe they are having a sale on the N102's now for about $230.

I've had several Nolans and find they fit me really well (top priority for a hat) and experience has shown they are built well and stand up to a lot of use. Also, they are one of the few modular helmets with metal chin bar latches.

N103 Price

I got my N103 this week from Competition Accessories for $299 +$3.25 for shipping insurance.:D

If you bothered to have a look, I am in Australia, and nothing is cheap out here.:cry
The dealer wanted $429, but gave it to me for $380. Good deal I say.

Right !!!

you are right !!

Mexico is not that cheap, either.
That N102 costs something like 400 USD here.

Let me know when you come to this side of the globe.

Back