• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

First ride

Friday Yet?
I just returned from my first ride with my 20 year old son and his 1972 Honda CL 350 Scrambler. Brings back some great memories. We did have some excitement, He ran out of gas and I had a leaking gas line on my R80. We made it home and put on 25 miles. I am so proud. Next trip to Minnesota (Sorry Viking fan) to visit his friend going to school at St. Olaf. We live in Wis. so the trip will be 7 hours on mostly 2 lane. He even wants Dad along. Ride safe.:brow

Sounds like some adventures are headed your way! Maybe you can rig something from your leaking fuel line to his empty tank............

Enjoy your times riding together, and be safe.

What a great adventure. Don't forget the digital camera and your notebook. Seems like the genesis of an article for Owners News.

Her First Ride

Back in 1976 I took my ex-wife for her first motorcycle trip from eastern Kansas to the Colorado Mountains.

Getting an early start by leaving on a Friday afternoon and planning a short ride to get a jump on the next day we rode about 130 miles before stopping to camp for the night.

Everything was going well a great day for riding low heat and humidity light winds a better summer day in Kansas is hard to find. As we snuggled in our sleeping bag she turned to me and said You know this motorcycle thing isnt for me I wish I would have stayed home. I am sure you werent expecting that any more than I was so whats a guy to do?

The next morning I placed her on a Greyhound bus for home and I had a great time in the Mountains!!!!

Did I mention that was my Ex-wife.........................:whistle

First or Last or something

Didnt mean to freak anyone out and kill this thread............It was a good thing...:thumb

Didnt mean to freak anyone out and kill this thread............It was a good thing...:thumb

Don't think you killed it, just a bunch of other stuff going on at the same time................

That would have been a tough one, my wife is not "into" riding, but will go along once in a while to spend time with me. I was suprised when while out for dinner last night she asked what beach areas had bike weeks, saying, she likes the beach, and I like bikes, so let's get together with some friends and do a bike week..........:doh Ummmm, sure honey, that's a great idea! So now I'm wondering, what did I do to deserve this woman?!? :laugh

That reminds me of when I met my now ex-husband. He was a small plane pilot/enthusiast. He was so excited to take me for a ride. We flew over the lakes region and he buzzed the ice covered lakes. In no time at all I had a pain in the middle of my head that felt like an ice pick was in there. Seems my ears don't do the whole equalizing thing. I asked that we land soon! Almost every subsequent flight caused me to loose my lunch. I felt bad for him that I could not share his hobby. His time in the plane dwindled because of it.

Three cheers for couples that can pursue their passions alone...but it does leave a void at the end of the day if you don't know (or care) what they've been up too.

Can't wait, 3 more years and my kid is on her own bike! :dance

Can't wait, 3 more years and my kid is on her own bike! :dance

My oldest got his first bike at around 16 1/2, he never felt confident on it and didn't ride very often. It was recently wrecked by a friend, but my son is now in college near Erie, PA, so he wouldn't get much riding time up there anyway. My youngest, 13 11/12ths, can't wait to get a cycle. He begs for a dirt bike, but we live on a postage stamp, so there is no place close to ride it. He will have to be content to ride pillion with me as he waits to get his own street bike. He has his eye on the newly styled Kawi Ninja 250. My daughter, 16, would never ride with me, but when asked if she wanted a scooter to get to school on said, "no way, if I'm going to ride something, it will be a real motorcycle", so we'll see.

The trick is to spend time with each child, doing things we both enjoy, but when one enjoys stuff I really like more than the other 2, it looks like I'm playing favorites. Relationships are tough.........:dunno

Hey all; It's pretty cool when you see how your passion for something infects your kids!! Both of my son's (24 and 21) have their own bikes, and I do get to ride with them once in awhile. Hopefully, the three of us will be able to make it down to Barber's this month. This will be the first time the three of us have gone touring together. I only hope that I can keep up with them!! The eldest is in Nashville while the "baby of the family" lives in Kalamazoo. This is going to be SO cool!! Love your children, teach them well and be proud of everything they do!! Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Back