Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reduced Inhibition = Harley Trip

screwtop

Reduced Inhibition = Harley Trip

A few too many at poker last week got me into commitment with my HD buddies to actually take a trip on my softail. I have been told in no uncertain terms that the GS stays home They know the GS is a babe magnet, and are obviously jealous.

We're going to the hills of "By-God" West Virginia. My softail runs great, but has no wind protection, a skinny front tire, and breaks that you have to apply a county ahead of the one you intend to stop in. Somebody shoot me.

-At least my final drive won't fail.

Mongo

Good luck with that. No windshield will beat you up.

criminaldesign
    Nothing wrong with a Harley.

Harley Trip

Being bikeless now, I just completed a 1500 km trip on a rented new Low Rider, and this is a very, very, good bike.

But it did have a windshield.

Rinty

You could try to put a couple of Harley badges on you GS and see if you slip one by on your buddies. Encourage them to drink heavily the night before the ride... after all that's the kind of behavior that got you into this situation.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

At least you'll be travelling slow enough to gawk at some great scenery!

That's been our experience riding with our HD friends.

Don't worry. They'll be stopping every hour or so for a smoke and a stretch. Shouldn't be too taxing. (former Harley guy)

Mongo
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    You could try to put a couple of Harley badges on you GS and see if you slip one by on your buddies. Encourage them to drink heavily the night before the ride... after all that's the kind of behavior that got you into this situation.
    You know I was wondering if I put a couple of magnetic BMW roundels on my tank if anyone would notice in TN next summer.

Nah it wouldn't matter. Some would think I was on an R1200C and shun me anyways

screwtop
    Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    At least you'll be travelling slow enough to gawk at some great scenery!

That's been our experience riding with our HD friends.
    Actually, we'll clip right along (75 or so). I gotta admit however, any faster that 80and things can get a bit squirrely.

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    Don't worry, it'll look like rain and they'll bail on you. Then you can suit up and take the GS for a nice ride.

Why ride a mule when you own a thoroughbred?
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: FY K100RT, '80 XS850 with Vetter Quicksilver, '67 Bonnie, '66 Honda 90

Rob Mayes
    I have got a HD Dyna Wide Glide and my longest trip was a 4 hour ride. The only thing I really do not like is the engine vibration. At higher speeds it seems more like a hum, but it is annoying. Maybe the 6 speed trans is better. Floor boards also help. My wife would never travel on the back for more than 2 hours. None the less, I love it and would like to go on a trip sometime just to see what it is like.

Mongo
    Sure is pretty

Quote Originally Posted by screwtop View Post
    A few too many at poker last week got me into commitment with my HD buddies to actually take a trip on my softail. I have been told in no uncertain terms that the GS stays home They know the GS is a babe magnet, and are obviously jealous.

We're going to the hills of "By-God" West Virginia. My softail runs great, but has no wind protection, a skinny front tire, and breaks that you have to apply a county ahead of the one you intend to stop in. Somebody shoot me.

-At least my final drive won't fail.
    And there's the #1 reason why I would not ride with this particular group, if it were me in your shoes. Who are they to say what YOU will ride?
    Steve O. - MOA #122171
    '05 R12GS, '76 CB200 (wife's)
    '91 K100RS, '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane, '84 Yamaha FJ1100, '85 Honda VF500F, '76 Yamaha RD400, '82 Honda XL500... and more

Quote Originally Posted by RJM2096 View Post
    I have got a HD Dyna Wide Glide and my longest trip was a 4 hour ride. The only thing I really do not like is the engine vibration.
    I sit at traffic lights looking at HD's next to me. Vibration isn't even the appropriate word. Some of them look like they are shaking and quaking so badly that it absolutely has take super human strength to ride for any length of time. I don't get it! I have several HD friends so I'm not totally biased but I cannot see how that makes for an enjoyable ride.

bob204bc
    Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    I sit at traffic lights looking at HD's next to me. Vibration isn't even the appropriate word. Some of them look like they are shaking and quaking so badly that it absolutely has take super human strength to ride for any length of time. I don't get it! I have several HD friends so I'm not totally biased but I cannot see how that makes for an enjoyable ride.
    Umm .... They've been doing that since about 1983 when the first rubber mounted engines were introduced. It only shakes like that at idle. The touring bikes are quite smooth at speed.

The balanced engines, such as on a softtail, buzz a little bit at highway speed but they don't shake at idle.