Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this airhead make me an airhead?

Huckleberry, Gilera &Toad kstoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lonelobo View Post
    You will notice to your left that there is only half a rear fender. Anyone have a clue how this happens?
    [/IMG]
    I know this one!!!
    I bet somebody was having difficulty getting the rear wheel off, it is a tight fit, and somebody fixed that problem.
    1980 R100T (Gilera), 1982 R100RT (Toad), 1975 R60/6 (cern?¡calo)
    Adventures at the Cave

That will buff right out

Well no not really

I think the allen wrench welded to the center stand is the correct size for the oil drain plug. Better check your took kit and see if it is missing.
    "Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too."

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    WOW- you are one brave (new-to-you) BMW owner.

When I looked at those first pictures, an image of a toothless, banjo-playing kid comes to mind. (I, too, do like the "Renegade" fairing and the soldering iron initials)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, think there is any corrosion in the electrical connectors?
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

535IS
    Quote Originally Posted by OHScot View Post
    I think the allen wrench welded to the center stand is the correct size for the oil drain plug. Better check your took kit and see if it is missing.
    Bubba probably welded it there so's he could remember what it was for. Alls you gotta do is unweld it when you want it.

Halfway through this thread, I was already thinkin', "Who the hell cares whether this bike is even a BMW? You are airhead material!"

lonelobo

Some thoughts and some questions and yes, some more pix

Thanks for the MaxBMW link. I found it just yesterday myself.

A thought:

Is there any way the rear wheel can be so far off center and the shocks so dead that the rear fender got gradually eaten away by being banged by the tire repeatedly?

Here's a relay hard question. Question to follow pix

This is the relay that Bubba had pulled out so he could wiggle it.

Here's the deal. The Relay socket is shot. Lugs pull out from the back too easy, plastic between lugs is mysteriously torn up as if by a small screwdriver (see HZE) so that the wires touch INSIDE the connector.

I have found the Bosch 5 Pin connector online but it always has cables already installed and the guage at biggest 14ga. so I'm wondering where to source a heavy duty version of the connector that I can get the heavier guage wire inserted into. I can't seem to find the connector separate from the harness in anyone's inventory on the web. Here is a link to one of the lightweight versions I have found.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=330-075

The relay itself looks like a MR76, fairly common.

lonelobo
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    I say stop wasting your time (and ours) taking pictures of it and just put it back to together as you found it and then ride the damn thing!

RM
    Hey Rocketman,
    I can certainly appreciate the sentiment, having been a rat bike owner in the past. You haven't been a biker till you've ridden with plastic army men battling all over your ride, complete with artillery and steel wool explosions.

Then again, at my age I can't physically afford to total any more bikes. 2 road bikes in my youth(relative) is enough. Suspension and brakes on this one gotta be gone over.

Pix are already taken, pouring cats and dogs outside where the Renegade is tarped up and I have all the time in the world to waste at the moment.

Plus, it's my good German upbringing that forces me to become anal in this phase of life. Used to like clean women and dirty bikes...now it's reversed.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    After seeing these great pics and story I have a strange craving for tearing apart another bike. I'd love to pull that whole bike apart. Thanks for a great posting so far.
    Let me know in advance where you are so I can keep my distance should we ever attend the same event, I prefer my airhead remains in ONE piece!

RM

rocketman
    Hey Rocketman,
    I can certainly appreciate the sentiment, having been a rat bike owner in the past. You haven't been a biker till you've ridden with plastic army men battling all over your ride, complete with artillery and steel wool explosions.

Then again, at my age I can't physically afford to total any more bikes. 2 road bikes in my youth(relative) is enough. Suspension and brakes on this one gotta be gone over.

Pix are already taken, pouring cats and dogs outside where the Renegade is tarped up and I have all the time in the world to waste at the moment.

Plus, it's my good German upbringing that forces me to become anal in this phase of life. Used to like clean women and dirty bikes...now it's reversed.
    picky picky picky...

RM

lonelobo

For the Record

May it please the court to know that the defense does not wish to rest and so has ordered the following parts to be used in bolstering and badgering the witness, who shall be known as RENEGADE.....there, I said it again.

-Used rear fender

-front fork rebuild kit

-fuel filters

-spark plug wires

-right handle bar switch assembly (I buggered this one as the handlebars were loose((unbeknownst to me)) and my strappage snapped it like a chicken neck in a tornado when the bars gave way to forces beyond my intellectual control while towing.

-looking for the relay connector at the moment, got the relay

-got all the fluids I need (for the motorcycle at least)

Once I determine that the engine will run, I will need rear shocks, stainless braided front brake lines, and about 713 other items, including tires.

Front brake lines from "BMW" sources seem to be astronomically high. Anyone had any luck using an off market hose manufacturer?

advrider.com
    -Used rear fender
    -front fork rebuild kit
    -fuel filters
    -spark plug wires
    -right handle bar switch assembly
    -looking for the relay connector at the moment, got the relay
    -got all the fluids I need (for the motorcycle at least)
    Judging by the looks of things, I'd say you'll also need:
    -master cylinder rebuild kit
    -fuel line (duh)
    -battery
    -carb rebuild kits/floats(?)
    -new petcocks(?)
    -2 caliper rebuild kits(?) (dual disc breaks)

and if you plan on going naked (which you should ):
    -front turn signal wiring harness
    -the alloy turn signals (not the black plastic ones)
    -headlight wiring harness
    -chrome ring/lens/springs/reflector/bulbs

I'd hold off on the cosmetics until you get a good runner. Even after that, make it safe and street legal before dumping money into shining it up.

Let's see a pic of that hitch deal, too.

Sorry, I LOVE this stuff.

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Congrats and welcome to the insanity!

...I've got a trailer hitch too. What supports the hitch vertically? Or does it just reston Renegade's (there, I said it) mufflers? Mine has two stainless supports that connect to a Reynolds rack with a big trunk...which I don't always need, so I can only use the hitch with the trunk. Dang, Bubba, if it'd fit in the dog gone trunk, I wouldn't need to pull a trailer.
    '83 R100RT'd
    '71 R75/5 SWB
    '06 KLR 650

lonelobo

Trailer Hitched

Here's a pic of the way mine was. 2 straps twisted 90 degrees that bolts through another piece of strap that bolts onto the bag rack bolt. Hard to remember and I should have taken more pix. Hope that splains it Ricky.

Looks like a good place to install a Hillbilly ski hook.

sumran
    Ladies and gentlemen, as we continue please remember to keep all limbs inside the tour bus at all times. Hillbilly Karma is everywhere and we want you all to return with all your digits intact after the tour. You will notice to your left that there is only half a rear fender. Anyone have a clue how this happens?
    If you put a wide rear tire on the bike, it may clear the swing arm but not the left side of the fender near the battery box. Just a little rubbing. You could fix this by getting the right size tire or by careful alignment of the fender. Then again you could hack the left side of the fender off with a sawzall.

R90S
    This is Classic HZE at it's best. I will wait for your collective wisdom to migrate to this thread. Have a great morning, fellow lunatics!
    This looks like an "Orange County Choppers" detail.

Nicely done!

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by R90S View Post
    This looks like an "Orange County Choppers" detail.

Nicely done!

I think they were going with the horse shoe look. bet that makes it harder to use it since it has to have a totally level area to sit on.

Probably not a good modification.

it also looks like the little flange is missing so deploying it is the pits, I know, its missing on mine and I have to reach down and push it with my hand, great way to get burned!

RM