• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Does this airhead make me an airhead?

No you don't! See where that little goober broke off? That's your "Toe Hold". (Wanna know how I know?) You reach up under the pipe with your toe and snag on that and bring it down to where you can step on the thing. You might burn your shoe, but hell; that's always a risk. :D

great as long as you don't wear big honking boots with thick soles! Ask me how I know, go ahead, ask me! :lol

RM

WAIT A DANG MINUTE HERE

let me set the record straight for ya'll:

I gots me that cigarette lighter wit da skul and dem eyes on it cause my lady says she hates not being able to see where the cigarette lighter is when it's dark. she really enjoys the taste of a virginy slim on our ride home from the bar. Now about's that tin foil if you know anything about anything you know that aliens communicate using cosmic rays, the coils in my hog were picking up the rays from the aliens and i think it made me sterile. Now let me tell you about the centerstand. I welded the bottom together because it's the only way i can get it to balance on my pontoon boat. and that wire commin' out of the brake fluid thingy, well, that was me being all drunk

my friends all call me RENEGADE because they say my bee-mmm-dubya is girl's bike and that i should ride a chopper. i says that makes me a renegade and if they don't like it they can go pound sand.

i'm glad you're enjoying your new bike, don't go makin it all pretty:wave

(btw, best post i've seen round these parts in a looonnnggg time.............)

Well, we use an allen wrench in the alternator to turn the engine (with plugs out) to set static timing. Clockwise.

First, great writing. I enjoyed this thread while eating lunch and almost did shoot milk out my nose. Second, he clearly has an allen wrench, it appears to be welded to the centerstand.

Karcomas.

+1
Should have a lil screen inside them too. And rebuildable too, but a real PIA to get the black cap off, a strong spring underneath. I gave up after damned near darkenin' my drawers trying. Ended up just soaking mine (the petcocks, not my drawers), replaced the screens and lubed with Kroil at the lever fulcrum.

+1
Should have a lil screen inside them too. And rebuildable too, but a real PIA to get the black cap off, a strong spring underneath. I gave up after damned near darkenin' my drawers trying. Ended up just soaking mine (the petcocks, not my drawers), replaced the screens and lubed with Kroil at the lever fulcrum.

Is there a rebuild kit available, or did you just go to the hardware store and shop accordingly?

Karcoma Rebuild Kit

My rebuild kits are coming from Capital Cycle.

Build on Hold, Life on GO!

Just a bump as I had to detour from the restoration lane to make some cash and since I'm a freelancer (shorthand for perpetually unemployed) I have to work any time the chance permits. But alas, as I work, the parts pour in. There is a tech daze next Saturday down here and my plan is to take my carburetors and rebuild kits along and look as pathetic as possible. My expectation is that everyone there will have tons more experience than me...that is more than an expectation really...and I know they won't let me screw things up too badly.

I understand and sympathize about the free lance demands...........Videographer, retired teacher, disabled vet, firewood supplier, goat rancher, and survival expert makes me so glad I paid attention to my grandfather and father who taught me how to repair and mend the stuff that was designed to fail...............

Anyway, I digress before my morning coffee kicks in.................

Before Saturday, take the bowls off, remove the jets, etc if you can, and soak the carbs in a can of carb cleaning fluid................will make life a lot easier on everyone trying to help you...............Just a thought................Dennis

Bada Bing Bada Bing`

Just thought I would update the state of the Renegade Rescue. To put it simply, money is flying outta my butt faster than monkeys in heat. If I were to care to look, and I don't, I would bet that I am quickly approaching the initial cost of falling in love. But it's still cheaper than a heroin addiction OR psychoanalysis... so in my world I'm still ahead in the game. I would appreciate confirmation that this is cheaper than heroin.

I will briefly list my recent accomplishments and failures:

Went to my first Tech Day and rebuilt both carbs with supervision. They are now mounted on the bike. Mounted the 1st carb 3 times before I figured out all the ways to screw it up. Lost 1 stainless ring for the 2nd carb's tubes....looked absolutely everywhere and finally just gave up. Started cleaning up my area of FOD and started tossing rags/bags/duct tape that covered the ports while rebuilding the carbs.....hey, that duct tape looks like a frisbee and hey....there's a ring still in there...mystery solved. Small minds loose things constantly.

At Tech Day I learned:

a) Involvement in conversation is directly proportional to lack of accuracy and the memory of where tiny little brass parts came from.

b) Using a dental pick to remove tiny rubber washers is brilliant until you puncture both thumbs in less than 10 seconds.

c) Not many hillbillies go to Tech Day.

I bought a R90S front master cylinder off of Ebay that was listed as "Good*condition* everything is staight. Ready to mount to your*bike, mounts under tank." The piston is seized tight in the cylinder via corrosion, so back it goes. Seller is willing to refund so all is well. Ordered a rebuild kit for my original MC after more than one person as Tech Day said it would probably, should, might, maybe work and they had seen worse that functioned.....maybe....

d) No one at Tech Day was willing to predict anything about the RENEGADE. She strikes fear in the hearts and minds of brave men everywhere. Which brings up another issue. Is RENEGADE a boy or a girl? Many of you have asked and I know that the rest of you have been secretly asking your inner child. I have observed No Kahunas but plenty of nipples, so I'm leaning to the femalia genitalia. But if anyone out there knows how to sex a BMW please forward those instructions to me privately so as to not offend the offensive.

e) I'm not the only one who has to tear something apart over and over as each new reassembly introduces another problem.

Also ordered a bunch of terminals from Eastern Beaver...I just wish there was a SouthWestern Beaver.

Also ordered a cable kit from EUBMW and 100% stainless hose clamps for the new petrol lines from a Marine Supply place. Did you know that most stainless hose clamps are only partially stainless? Well it's true.

Well, that's it for now. All I need now is to stop taking gigs so I can start assembling and redissasembling and then reassembling agin and agin.

Last edited:
It's official....I'm Stupid

Forgot to mention that the State of Texas officially has recognized my stupidity and the Renegade's title is now before me. It's mine and it can be proven now. The shame.........

Renegade thrashes camera in fit of rage

Well, I have been taking some pics as I SLOWLY get a few things done on the bike. Not Ansel Adams quality pix, but some good documentation. Tonight I took pix of the petcock rebuild as I thought some might find it mildly interesting. Went to upload the pix only to find that the Microdrive my G2 uses crashed like a roach in a tequilla bottle. No mas fotos.... Not till I replace the drive with a solid state device mit nein moving parts. But a friend lent me her camera and at least I have a couple of "after" photos.
Notice the INNER SCREEN. This was missing when I dissassembled the petcocks...imagine that?
Renegade_114.jpg

And here are the twins in their restored state, ready to drip till eternity or 10K, witch ever comes first.
Renegade_113.jpg

Orthadontal work for the Renegade

Here is one of the great mysteries of life. I will travel hours to buy a really F&$Ked up motorbike and virtually ignore every sign of upcoming doom with hardly any thought at all. Then I will turn around and obsess over the most irrelevant details concerning hose clamps of all things. I needed to replace the fuel line so while I was at it I thought I would add some hose clamps as the PO did not use them as designed, that is, for hoses.

So, how about stainless hose clamps? Stainless is gooder for almost everything on a motorcycle in my convoluted way of thinking. Easy, just order some stainless hose clamps over the www thing... Hey, wait a minute, stainless hose clamp sites state that the bands are stainless, while conveniently glossing over the other parts. From my memory that is left an image appears of rusty ole hose clamps that are a pita to get off cause of all the corrosion----on the little screw and screw housing...but never the band.

Only the very best hose clamps in the world will do for this piece of cr*p bike that in all probability will be the end of my sanity. The hunt is on. What I found was totally stainless marine grade hose clamps. Even the air around them is stainless. Here's the source:

http://www.plumbingworld.com/marinegradeclamps.html
Renegade_116.jpg

I ordered 20 #6 size and found out that #6 is a lot bigger than you think. When I used them on the fuel line, the excess band was well, excessive. So I shortened them with a hack saw, filed the edges soft, and installed on every fuel line joint EXCEPT where the line enters the carb. If anyone has any tricks as to how to get a 10 pound hose clamp into a 5 pound space, I'm all ears. Now the thing about these hose clamps (the best in the entire world) is that they are bigger than what you might normally find on this size hose. When I look at the picture below all I can think about is braces on a beaver.
renegade_115.jpg

Had the same clamps on my /7 that the PO had put on there along with some very thick high pressure hose. I threw them all in the trash and installed the new BMW fuel lines as they were designed to be installed. Without clamps. It has never leaked a drop. YMMV.

Last edited:
+2 on what KREHMKEJ says above................

Looks like you are using rubber fuel hose in an inch size rather than the grey cloth covered that is pretty standard stuff. VW used the same stuff. I find, along with many others that the cloth covered, that came from the factory, does NOT require a clamp of any kind, can be removed MANY times such as taking off the tank or at the carb, and lasts for a very long time.

Have you discovered.................

http://members.aol.com/vechbmw/index.html

These guys are fairly close to you, will talk you through the problem, honest, fair, and totally competitive in price. What I like is they stock true OEM parts and have them on hand. THEY WILL TALK YOU THROUGH PROBLEMS WITH NO HASSLE.

Bought 3 feet of their hose for just a few dollars.............God Bless........Dennis

There is no fuel pump, so we need no hose clamps. Since several service requirements involve removing the tank, it is a beautiful thing to have lines that come on and off easily. Some like the urethane, I like the classic cloth covered lines. Both will work without clamps.

When you change out the fuel lines, don't forget the crossover line that runs under the air cleaner box.

And to make removal even easier, I placed a 8mm washers over the petcock barbs before slipping the hose on. Makes pulling them off a real breeze.

Back