• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200lt

M

mtotrainer

the dealer told me these bikes require a major service every 20000kms.I didn't want to appear stupid so I didn't ask but since non of you actually know me ....or at least few of you know me I will risk it here.What was this dealer talking about that a K1200LT has to have done every 20000kms? I have a K100 RT and all I have ever done is change the fluids and lube the splines regularly.I put 20000kms on my bike just about every year and this dealer service is about 1500 dollars.I would like to know what they do that is so different than what I currently do to my old K bike and is it better to just purchase an R model ,as the dealer says they require less maintenance. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me in this matter..Jamie

From what a couple of independent BMW wrenches have told me TIRES (alone) for late model LTs are very pricey.

Obviously others on this forum who have LTs can confirm or deny this.

Getting a bit out of control in the $$$ dept.........

What regular maintenance interval costs are could be nuts.

$1500, whether US or Canadian, is an outrageous demand for routine service. Besides changing all fluids, there is quite a bit of work to R&R all the tupperware, as well as valve adjustment. However, that much money is wayyyyyy out of line.

Suggest that you get a couple of manuals, like the Factory CD and Clymer, and do the 12,000 mile (20,000km) service yourself. Use all OEM parts, including factory BMW engine oil + filter, and you are still money ahead. Many people, myself included, time the service interval to occur during the winter, when there is plenty of time to learn, do, and pay attention to all the details.

Tires are around $300 per set. Pricey, but there's a lot of rubber, too.

Ride Safely,
BrickRider
2000 K1200LT
59,000 miles from new

Listen to what Brickrider has to say. He helped me out with a tire problem and was exactly right when it was all said and done!!! Love my new tires & love my Beemer
Many thanks Brickrider.
Ride safe all.
Rvs

K1200 Vs K100 service

Here is a quick comparison of some of the service items on K1200 Vs a K100 2-valve engine.

Valve clearance:

K100 RT: Clearance change requires a cam style to compres the valve spring. Needle nose plier to remove the existing shim, install new shim, remove cam style to and you are done.

K1200LT: You must pull the cams to replace the shim buckets.

Air Filter:

K100 RT: remove the right side fairing lower. Pop the latches on the filter box cover, then tug and swear a little to get the old filter out and the new filter in. A little more swearing to get the latches reattached, install fairing lower done.

K1200 LT: Remove both fairing side panels. Remove the radio stingray. Remove the seat. Remove the fuel tank. Now you have access to the air filter.

Fuel Filter:

K100 RT: open the fule filler cap, remove the four screws that hold the filler cap onto the tank. Remove filler cap assembly and reach into the tank and replace the filter.

K1200 LT: Remove both fairing side panels. Remove the radio stingray. Remove the seat. Remove the fuel tank. Turn the tank upside down and with a special tool try and remove the large plastic nut that holds the fuel pump and fuel filter in place. Reassemble in reverse order.

Brake bleeding/ fluid change:

Depending on the year of the LT this can also be a big ticket item at the dealer

I think this gives you a little idea why servicing a K1200 LT costs a little more than the K100 RT.

Roy

Listen to what Brickrider has to say. He helped me out with a tire problem and was exactly right when it was all said and done!!! Love my new tires & love my Beemer
Many thanks Brickrider.
Ride safe all.
Rvs

Randy,

Thank you for the compliment! :beer

Glad things are going well for you.

Much appreciated!

Sincerely,

Brick

Back