• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Integrated brakes and flats

So what happens when the front or back tire goes flat? One is not supposed to brake the flat tire. With integrated brakes what is one to do? I've had flats, both front and rear on other bikes. I'm just not clear on handling flats on a K1200 with integrated brakes. Any thoughts?

first of all, your front tire is never going to go totaly flat before you notice it. unless, of course, your are running mexican racing slicks (cord showing). Then you deserve what you get.

secondly, do not brake at all. Clutch it, and coast to a stop. doesnt matter what type of brakes you have.

braking only transfers weight and unballances the tire load, the last thing you would want when your tires are not optimum.

The bigger question I have, is that since there are front and rear wheel sensors constantly monitoring wheel speed, why can't a threshold be set to alert the rider of a tire going flat? As a flat tire will start to sag on the sidewall, its speed should change, right? Seems like it would be an easy thing to integrate into the overall electronics package.

John. you can buy pressure transducers that mount inside your tire. They will transmit to a reciever that you mount to your bike that will alert you of this problem. They have been available for years, and have trickled down to aftermarket use.

I'm familiar with that stuff, but I want them integrated into the bike. Development costs couldn't be that high, considering that the hardware is already there.

If they get 200.00 for a savanna jacket liner, I bet it would only cost 4000.00 to put the system you describe on the bikes. :p

That's a lot cheaper than having to lose 50 pounds so I can bend over far enough to manually check tire pressure!!

Back