• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cleaning a headlight reflector

Ray1505

Is there any way to clean the headlight reflector (the inside part)? There does not seem to be any rust or flacking of the reflector material but it does not look as shiny as I think it should.
The glass seems to have turned yellow looking. Besides, the headlight is not giving the light it used to and the voltage is up.

Thank you
Ray

I have the same problem, and haven't found any solution either, I'm thinking that the best best is just buying a new one, maybe they just fade some over time. The light output is down on mine as well even with a brighter bulb it's not as good as my /5 with a shinyer (SP?) reflector. I'll be interested in any responses you get to this.

RM

Well, the glass does separate from the reflector, and when you accomplish this I bet you'll find just the inside of the glass is fogged, and it's easily cleaned. Chances are you'll need a new rubber gasket (glass to reflector) when performing this maintenance.

yup, done that on mine, but the reflector itself (on my R100) just doesn't seem as shiny as my /5. Cleaning and polishing hasn't made much of a differance.

The /7 was stored outdoors for some years whereas the /5 had spent more time stored indoors, maybe the UV exposure has degraded the finish.

RM

clean clean-up

I just cleaned mine a month ago. Using pre-moistened lens cloths which don't leave a residue, the lens and reflector did clean up nicely. You don't notice the degredation until it you clean it.
Rocketman, what did you use to clean your reflector/lens.

Mac in Peoria

Back