Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Welcome!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Ian
    Guest

    Smile Welcome!

    Thanks to the efforts of some very dedicated and talented people, this year's Rally forum takes a light-year step forward.

    If you have a question or a comment about the Rally, this is the place to post it. Just click the "new thread" button above, which starts a new discussion about your question or comment.

    To post a question, you must register first.

    However, before starting a new thread, be sure to check previous threads in the Rally forum to see if someone else has asked the same question.

    We hope that you enjoy this new forum format... please be sure to tell us what you think. There's much more to come, and it will all be based on your feedback and suggestions.

    The BMW MOA Forum team.


  2. #2
    Retired Firefighter bmwgreenrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Asheville, NC Ex-NJ
    Posts
    68

    Very Nice

    Looks like this will be a good place to visit on the web.

    Nice set-up
    Jim

    IBA

    "What Would You Attempt To Do If You Knew You Could Not Fail ?"

  3. #3
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,652
    Originally posted by Jeff Dean
    Ian,

    How do I modify my profile?
    Jeff,

    Go to the User CP button on the top right. You can make changes there.

    Nice avatar.

    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  4. #4
    rangerreece rangerreece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Enterprise, AL
    Posts
    752

    Oldest thread I can find

    So, I was trying to find the very first thread on the forums for historical preservation of course, this is the earliest date I can find. I've done a couple of searches now, and got this thread twice. If someone can find another earlier thread that would be cool, consider the challenge flag thrown.
    Plus I wonder who Ian the guest may be, I have my suspicions.
    2005 R1200RT Ursula Von Reisetourer
    2001 F650 GS Gerdy Von Gelande Strasse
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Within her imperfections there... dwells perfection in mine eyes."

  5. #5
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,654
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    So, I was trying to find the very first thread on the forums for historical preservation of course, this is the earliest date I can find. I've done a couple of searches now, and got this thread twice. If someone can find another earlier thread that would be cool, consider the challenge flag thrown.
    Plus I wonder who Ian the guest may be, I have my suspicions.
















  6. #6
    FUKENGRUVEN SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    THE BIG SKY
    Posts
    4,690
    Well, this line from the thread implies that there was an earlier form of the forum... "this year's Rally forum takes a light-year step forward."
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  7. #7
    rangerreece rangerreece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Enterprise, AL
    Posts
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Well, this line from the thread implies that there was an earlier form of the forum... "this year's Rally forum takes a light-year step forward."
    Yeah I read that too. But 1000 miles would imply an improvement over paper media, light years, would imply improvement from stone carvings, unless of course, this Ian fellow was prone to exaggeration.

    I've heard tell of the forum before the forum... If such a beast exists it probably has died with no fossile record. If however this thread is the holy grail of threads from the modern forum... Someone contact King Arthur.
    2005 R1200RT Ursula Von Reisetourer
    2001 F650 GS Gerdy Von Gelande Strasse
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Within her imperfections there... dwells perfection in mine eyes."

  8. #8
    rangerreece rangerreece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Enterprise, AL
    Posts
    752
    Dave Swider is still active on the forums. Maybe he could enlighten the masses. I think I'll PM him.
    2005 R1200RT Ursula Von Reisetourer
    2001 F650 GS Gerdy Von Gelande Strasse
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Within her imperfections there... dwells perfection in mine eyes."

  9. #9
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,652
    Wow. This is a blast from the past.

    Prior to this forum, the MOA would set up a very primitive threaded conversation page where people would post questions and others could reply, kind of like Reddit, but really, really primitive. It always got spammed and there weren't any moderation tools, either.

    At the time, mailing lists still ruled and the IBMWR list was still generating hundreds of posts a day. And then ADVRider.com came around. I knew some folks that had left the Micapeak GS Mailing list for there and they invited me over, namely, Fish. When we saw what was going on at Adv, we knew this club needed something that would help members talk to other members. Remember - no Facebook. No fora. Phones only made calls, even cell phones. There was an MOA mailing list, but it was paltry and nobody used it, except to bitch about the rally.

    Rob Nye was serving on the board then and Rob and I both knew Ian Schmeisser. The three of us kind of conspired to get this place up and running. I think Ian installed the software, vBulletin. We poked at it for a week or so, then went live on the day the U.S. invaded Iraq. I remember being very proud when we finally crossed 500 registered users, but it took a while.

    I know there are earlier threads, but that would probably require admin access, something I relinquished ages and ages ago. Check some of the older threads like How to make an avatar and how to post a picture. Those were new concepts back then, as just about nobody had a digital camera back then.

    I'm really proud that this place is still up and running and people are willing to volunteer to help out.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  10. #10
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    7,628
    ^^^^Good to se you checking in^^^^
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  11. #11
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,800
    Quote Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
    Wow. This is a blast from the past.

    Prior to this forum, the MOA would set up a very primitive threaded conversation page where people would post questions and others could reply, kind of like Reddit, but really, really primitive. It always got spammed and there weren't any moderation tools, either.

    At the time, mailing lists still ruled and the IBMWR list was still generating hundreds of posts a day. And then ADVRider.com came around. I knew some folks that had left the Micapeak GS Mailing list for there and they invited me over, namely, Fish. When we saw what was going on at Adv, we knew this club needed something that would help members talk to other members. Remember - no Facebook. No fora. Phones only made calls, even cell phones. There was an MOA mailing list, but it was paltry and nobody used it, except to bitch about the rally.

    Rob Nye was serving on the board then and Rob and I both knew Ian Schmeisser. The three of us kind of conspired to get this place up and running. I think Ian installed the software, vBulletin. We poked at it for a week or so, then went live on the day the U.S. invaded Iraq. I remember being very proud when we finally crossed 500 registered users, but it took a while.

    I know there are earlier threads, but that would probably require admin access, something I relinquished ages and ages ago. Check some of the older threads like How to make an avatar and how to post a picture. Those were new concepts back then, as just about nobody had a digital camera back then.

    I'm really proud that this place is still up and running and people are willing to volunteer to help out.
    Talk about ATUS (All The Usual Suspects)

    We always stand on the shoulders who went before.

    For those who don't know, Dave served as President for several years and the MOA made great strides during his tenure. I had the pleasure of seeing Dave and Tina at Port Townsand WA a couple of years ago. Was good to catch up again.

    Thanks for all you have done.
    Ride Well

  12. #12
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,654
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    I've heard tell of the forum before the forum... If such a beast exists it probably has died with no fossile record. If however this thread is the holy grail of threads from the modern forum... Someone contact King Arthur.
    King Arthur's "forum" is here.

  13. #13
    Billings in 2015 Sue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    2,101
    Reminds me of the Message board we used for the 2000 rally in Midland. Those were the days, my friend............
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

  14. #14
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Reminds me of the Message board we used for the 2000 rally in Midland. Those were the days, my friend............
    ... why it's the very same one.

    (it was built using a function within Microsoft Front Page, the web site management tool from hell)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •